Windows 10: Lost data due to recent Microsoft update

Discus and support Lost data due to recent Microsoft update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Latest update last night removed ALL my data from my document and picture folder. What the heck? How do restore?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MASTO1, Aug 27, 2019.

1. MASTO1 Win User

Lost data due to recent Microsoft update

Latest update last night removed ALL my data from my document and picture folder. What the heck? How do restore?

:)

MASTO1, Aug 27, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Lost data due to recent Microsoft update :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Lost data due to recent Microsoft update

Recent update changed the way you burn a data disc.

Hi John,

I realize that a recent update changed the way you burn a data disc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Which program or application are you using to burn the DVD?

• Which update was installed recently?
    Follow these steps to view installed updates:

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Programs and Features”.

• Click on “View Installed Updates”.

Let us know the recent update after which you are facing this issue.

Keep us posted.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Lost data due to recent Microsoft update

1. Lost data due to recent Microsoft update - Similar Threads - Lost data due

2. Microsoft Authenticator Data Lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator Data Lost: Hi everyone, A challenging question here, I was using Microsoft Authenticator on my previous phone and have now bought a new one, installed everything on the new smartphone, and I realized that after the log-in and recovery on the Microsoft Authenticator, I did lose all the...
  3. Microsoft Authenticator Data Lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Authenticator Data Lost: Hi everyone, A challenging question here, I was using Microsoft Authenticator on my previous phone and have now bought a new one, installed everything on the new smartphone, and I realized that after the log-in and recovery on the Microsoft Authenticator, I did lose all the...
  4. I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =: Windows 10 is a horrible system to be avoided at all costs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-more-data-due-to-windows-forced-reboot/bb7f011e-7d83-40a9-a03f-8fc5237b3775
  5. data lost due to incorrect update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    data lost due to incorrect update: On my acer windows 10 laptop it was asking for updates. After I ran update and restart, it ran a diagnostic repair and did not boot correctly. I had to restore the laptop using backup restore driveUSB which I had created immediately after first using the laptop. But now all...
  6. Updates and lost data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates and lost data: Each month Microsoft does an update on my computer and each month all my data is lost. Why does this keep happening and how can I stop this happening each month? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-and-lost-data/9652240b-05c9-4d62-8e41-d3c1d0b3c51b
  7. Lost Chrome access due to Microsoft update. Is there a fix?

Lost Chrome access due to Microsoft update. Is there a fix?: Today's 4/16/2020 Microsoft update caused a problem. I was no longer able to open Google Chrome. I restored back to 4/14, but the computer wants to force the update again. How can I either stop the update or be sure to be able to recover Chrome when I am done?...
  8. Lost all my data due to the last update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost all my data due to the last update.: This happened nearly an hour ago. Windows automatically installed it's recent update while booting and destroyed all my data (software, docs, photos), there are just a few apps left. Started a system recovery which failed. Did this happen to anybody else? Has Windows...
  9. Lost data due to worthless update

Lost data due to worthless update: I was stupid. I let updates be installed when they were available. This time what I got back was a machine with all my settings ad most of my data fucked up. when I did the reboot after the update I had nothing. Most data was gone and I lost all my web addresses. I was...
  10. Lost data on Microsoft

Lost data on Microsoft: I have Windows 10. I recently did an update to my HP printer and my computer failed to start the next day. I finally took it in for repairs and when I picked it up all my pictures and documents were lost. I have a password for my Microsoft Account and wonder if there is...