Windows 10: Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update

Discus and support Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After updating my PC the "Hi, we are working on your pc" flashed for nearly an hour before a blank unusable desktop appeared. A Halt error appears and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BillMFA, Jun 15, 2019.

1. BillMFA Win User

Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update

After updating my PC the "Hi, we are working on your pc" flashed for nearly an hour before a blank unusable desktop appeared. A Halt error appears and the process begins anew. How do I get my computer back?

:)

BillMFA, Jun 15, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jun 15, 2019
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update Available for Download

Not sure about the games you listed but no probs with Dirt Rally and benching heavensward-bench here for me. I'm going to test 3DMark too in a few minutes.

DRDNA, Jun 15, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update - Similar Threads - Lost Desktop Profile

2. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  3. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  4. Lost photos and desktop after Windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost photos and desktop after Windows update: windows updated my computer on May 12. I found my photos and videos moved to users/my name/one drive/photos. I didn’t do anything and a couple days later, windows updated my computer again. Now my photos and videos are no where to be seen. All of them are gone. I tried the...
  5. lost desktop-user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost desktop-user profile: Last night my computer was acting weird - slow, hanging up, etc. I turned it off. The monitor turned off, but the computer stayed on. I unplugged it for fear there was some kind of intrusion that McAfee was not containing. This morning I plugged it back in and turned it on. A...
  6. Profile Lost After updating to v2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Profile Lost After updating to v2004: Just updated windows, tried to log in and got the error "unable to load user's profile" Restarted, tried to log in again, and now windows created a new profile. Same Microsoft account, but it's like I created a new profile. Checked in the user file, my profile is still...
  7. Windows 10 Update Lost My User Profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Lost My User Profile: This is the second time this has happened. The first time, I hunted for days before I found what worked. I went to the Registry and to HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE>SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>WINDOWS NT>CURRENT VERSION>PROFILELIST and found my profile with a .bak at the end. I removed the...
  8. Lost profile and files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost profile and files in Windows 10: Hi, I have seen similar posts and want to see if I have the same issue. I have three user profiles set up for the same desktop PC. I am running Windows 10. Suddenly, a couple of weeks' ago we could only see my daughter's profile. My original admin profile and my wife's...
  9. Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update

in Browsers and Email
    Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update: After Windows 10 updated it wouldn't let me log in any more. I got an error The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. I followed steps online to recover it (resetting State to 0 and RefCount to 0) and I can now log in. It had my...
  10. Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update: After Windows 10 updated it wouldn't let me log in any more. I got an error The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. I followed steps online to recover it and I can log in. But when I launch all my programs like Chrome and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lost windows profile and desktop