Windows 10: lost desktop-user profile

Discus and support lost desktop-user profile in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Last night my computer was acting weird - slow, hanging up, etc. I turned it off. The monitor turned off, but the computer stayed on. I unplugged it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MusiceyeDesign, Sep 24, 2020.

1. lost desktop-user profile

Last night my computer was acting weird - slow, hanging up, etc. I turned it off. The monitor turned off, but the computer stayed on. I unplugged it for fear there was some kind of intrusion that McAfee was not containing. This morning I plugged it back in and turned it on. A different user account name was displayed and my image was gone. It accepted my password and logged on. My desktop was replaced and none of my apps were there.

I tried to restore to a previous configuration. That gave me back my desktop, but my user account was still misnamed and my Chrome browser would not boot up. I reversed the restore. Now I am back to what I faced when first booting it up and all the restore points are gone, so I cannot redo that.

When I look in user accounts, my original profile is there along with four other temp user accounts with my user name as well as the original. There is no user account temp or otherwise that is named what this new user account is named.

This is very different from when I lost my desk top and user account during the Windows update this spring. I can't find the instructions for how I fixed it then, and I'm not sure if that would work under this situation or not.

Any suggestions?

:)

MusiceyeDesign, Sep 24, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done lost desktop-user profile :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Lost User profile after Windows 10 install

I have the same problem-

lost a profile when windows 10 installed.

That profile is listed in the user folder in windows.old.

What is the procedure to recover it?

John_W_Fraser, Sep 24, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

lost desktop-user profile

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

lost desktop-user profile

1. lost desktop-user profile - Similar Threads - lost desktop user

2. Windows 10 Update Lost My User Profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Lost My User Profile: This is the second time this has happened. The first time, I hunted for days before I found what worked. I went to the Registry and to HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE>SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>WINDOWS NT>CURRENT VERSION>PROFILELIST and found my profile with a .bak at the end. I removed the...
  3. User profiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    User profiles: I know that user profiles can get corrupted so if i cloned my drive before anything got corrupted would that make it so that in the future if anything was to get corrupted i could just go back to the old drive and my profile be fine?...
  4. User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons: Please Help Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows: 1. On occasion the PC would boot to a fresh desktop with program icons but all of my desktop files and folders gone as well as taskbar shortcuts disappeared. 2....
  5. user profile

user profile: I had a new hard drive in my computer. When the technician reloaded MS, Windows 10, etc., he kept all the right account information, including my profile picture, but despite the account being in my name, he put my husband's name under my picture on that opening screen. I...
  6. Lost Shared User Profile with WIN 10 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Shared User Profile with WIN 10 update: I was running WIN 7 Pro on my desktop with two login user profiles (George and Jenny). I updated to WIN 10 Pro and install went fine, except now on the principal login page there is only my login (George) My wife's profile is gone, and I cannot see it by clicking on Win icon...
  7. Win 10 1903 update lost user profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 1903 update lost user profile: Windows 10 auto updated v1903 this morning (talking about 45 mins), and after completion, I could not access my pc on my normal user profile. After rebooting I could, but very sporadic behaviour, no defaults or user customisations (office, mozilla bookmarks etc) and soon no...
  8. Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update: After updating my PC the "Hi, we are working on your pc" flashed for nearly an hour before a blank unusable desktop appeared. A Halt error appears and the process begins anew. How do I get my computer back?...
  9. lost profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost profile: after the first of 2019 i found that i could no longer log into my user account. when i try, i get the "preparing Windows" message and then "We can't sign in to your account". I find that my entire user directory is now missing in the /users folder. I lost access to my...
  10. Lost Profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost Profile: HELP Booted computer today and it go to temp. profile to open? How do I get my profile back? All suggestions welcome *cry 33555