Windows 10: Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

Discus and support Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexxxG11, Mar 4, 2020.

1. AlexxxG11 Win User

Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer.

I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer. It did not work.

When I search online for help on this, all I get is tons of sites that I do not recognize telling me to download their special "Fix" for this problem...

No thank you.

So if someone from Microsoft can help me with this, I would be very grateful. I use my computer mainly for business and I constantly have to download and move files around in my system. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

AlexxxG

:)

AlexxxG11, Mar 4, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11

Hi Cristy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect Internet Explorer settings.

• Some browser add-ons.
    Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to disable add-ons and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: Reset Internet Explorer to its default configuration. This step will also disable any add-ons, plug-ins, or toolbars that are installed. Although this solution is quick, it also means that, if you want to use any of those add-ons
    in the future, they must be reinstalled.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Lost Drag drop

2. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  3. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  4. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files: Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag...
  5. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  6. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  7. Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly: I was editing a video earlier today and dragged a file from file explorer into Adobe Premiere, but then immediately after it wouldn't let me drag the same file back in when I had deleted it from the timeline I was working on. I thought it was no big deal, just went to the...
  8. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....
  9. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....
  10. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work: Hello, when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying time and date text at the bottom left of the lock screen (which was easily done in Windows 8.1 as documented on...