Windows 10: Lost dual boot with two hard drives

Discus and support Lost dual boot with two hard drives in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BJB-155, Nov 28, 2018.

1. BJB-155 Win User

Lost dual boot with two hard drives

***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.***

Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB hard drive). After cloning the Vista Ultimate HD to a 1 TB ssd I replace the HD with the SSD but when I restarted the system, Vista Ultimate on the SSD fired up and worked just great BUT....following the restart (after replacing the HD with the SSD) I was no longer presented with a dual boot option... the system just fired up and immediately ran Vista Ultimate.

While running the SSD I can access Drive E and see/read all the various and sundry Win10 PRO files without problem so I tried disconnecting the SSD to see if the remaining HD would still boot up to Win 10 but it wouldn't. I kept getting a message stating a need to insert a WIN 10 DVD (presumably to repair a missing or damaged file) but I don't have one and cannot find a link to an ISO file to create oneone ! On one MS site I was able to download a file (it stated it had to be to a 16GB USB flash drive) that I thought would solve the problem but I can't get it to be accessed following the display of the aforementioned error message which seems to want a DVD.

Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be appreciated. Meanwhile I have had to go back to reinstalling the SSD giving me only access to Vista Ultimate.

:)

BJB-155, Nov 28, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Dual Boot for dual boot windows 7 and 10 on two separate hard drives

Hi Jay,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with this issue.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further:

• What is the exact issue are you facing?
    • Are you able to boot to Windows 7 from dual boot login?

Your issue is bit unclear to us, so I request you to kindly elaborate the issue so that we can assist you further.

For the time being, I suggest you to access your BIOS settings and make the settings for Boot up to Boot up with Internal hard drive and check if it helps.

For reference: BIOS: frequently asked questions

Reply with the necessary information to help you troubleshoot the issue. I will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 28, 2018
  4. GSG-9 Win User

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost dual boot with two hard drives - Similar Threads - Lost dual boot

2. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  3. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  4. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  5. two hard drives boot problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives boot problem: I have 1 250gb ssd drive with windows 7 and 1 500gb ssd drive with windows 10. Both boot up ok on their own, but if I connect both together screen shows attempting to repair drive c: then blue screen attempting repairs then failed to repair with no error code. Any ideas...
  6. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  7. Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  8. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...
  9. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  10. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...