Windows 10: Lost E: data drive

Discus and support Lost E: data drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop with dual drives, an SSD that runs the windows and other programs, and a data drive for my data. Recently the data drive became... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pcglaw, Nov 4, 2019.

1. pcglaw Win User

Lost E: data drive

I have a laptop with dual drives, an SSD that runs the windows and other programs, and a data drive for my data. Recently the data drive became "unavailable" and a big blue questionmark appears above it in file explorer. Tried restoring windows 10 on the laptop but its still unavailable. Any fixes?

Phil

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

:)

pcglaw, Nov 4, 2019

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Lost E: data drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 4, 2019
  3. My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

I THINK the programs are looking in the wrong place.

All my Programs are stored on Drive C:

Drive D: is my Recovery Image

Drive E: is where all my Data files were stored (Documents-Pictures-Videos, etc).

Drive F: has: Clipart-Document Themes 14-Media-MSOCache-Office 14 - Stationery - and Templates.

Hewlett Packard set my computer system up.

Before I did what you suggested above about MOVING files - I had only one listing for Drive ELost E: data drive :(DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pics-Video-Music). Now Drive E: shows up listed under THIS PC as E:\ (and it contains ALL my data - docs-Pics-Video-Music)). All these data
    folders also show up listed under THIS PC in the DOCUMENT folder; AND, all the datat folders also show up in DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pixs-Music-Video!!!! Whatever happened when I moved the files caused them to appear in several places!

I don't think the programs know where to find anything!!!! DUD!

I also have 4 external Western Digital hard drives (but I don't have all of them plugged in simultaneously). My problem with the external hard drives is that now Windows does recognize my 6 TB one - I know it is working because the little light is on and
    blinking....the drive just does not show up in File Explorer.

Do you have any suggestions?

PattiCampbell, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Lost E: data drive

My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

Patti,

Let me start by saying the above information would have been very useful at the start. Let me see if I can recap your original issue first...

Before Windows 10 Upgrade:

Your computer was configured (before the Win10 upgrade) to used drive (ELost E: data drive :) as your DEFAULT storage location for DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC etc. I assume there were sub-folders for each.

After Windows 10 Upgrade:

After the upgrade, your DEFAULT storage locations were re-set to drive C:. This had the side affect of you seeing 'Documents' in the quick access list which did not point to your 'Documents' folder on drive E:.

What you wanted:

You wanted the 'Documents' and other data folders that showed up in the Quick Access list to point to your original files on drive E:. You also assumed that all new documents would be created in the Documents folder on drive E:.

Drive E: is your data drive because that is where you have space and you want to continue using that drive.

In the above description I used 'Documents' but that would apply to all of your 'data' folders such as Music, Video, Pictures etc.

If I have this right, please let me know.

FunSideOfSteve, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Lost E: data drive

1. Lost E: data drive - Similar Threads - Lost data drive

2. One drive local data lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive local data lost: Good dayI lost all my local data Photos, documents, etc. after deleting one drive from my PCI ran multiple recovery tools and had no successI just need to albums recoveredPlease HELP!...
  3. One drive local data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive local data lost: Good dayI lost all my local data Photos, documents, etc. after deleting one drive from my PCI ran multiple recovery tools and had no successI just need to albums recoveredPlease HELP!...
  4. DATA LOST

DATA LOST: Good day, I just want to ask if any of you encounter a problem where SD Card not showing your files and folders? I mean, I just moved all my files from desktop to SD card. And all the files are in one folder.The files size is 120GB even after I moved it to SD Card, but my...
  5. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  6. Drive D data lost

Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  7. Lost 68 of data on hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost 68 of data on hard drive: Can anyone help me on this issue? I suddenly lost 68 gb of data. Multiple folders and files dissappeared. Randomly. There is no clue. Some subfolders can still be there, while others are completely gone with all the content in it... submitted by /u/MrMelomaan [link]...
  8. Data disappeared from E drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data disappeared from E drive: I wanted to resume my work and went to E drive only to find that all files except some were just gone.. I tried using the restore backup option but my File History shows it is turned off and I can't seem to find the data About 100 gb of data just disappeared and I have no...
  9. lost data on flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lost data on flash drive: I have lost one entire file on a USB flash drive using Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-data-on-flash-drive/87eeedea-4200-4683-8b6b-f986f31522a8"
  10. Drive dissappeared - all data lost?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive dissappeared - all data lost?: Hi all, I’d like to ask for your help. I was moving about 1.5 TB of data from an external drive to an internal drive (secondary, non-system hard drive), left the PC for a few hours and when I came back the moving process was paused at 0 kB/s speed and the internal...