Windows 10: Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options?

Discus and support Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Lost EFI/ESP Partition. After deleting MSR, on 17Mb is available (tutorial on woshub to re-add ESP + MSR, then copy *.efi files from %windir%) Diskpart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hAirypAulsAck, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options?

• Lost EFI/ESP Partition.
    • After deleting MSR, on 17Mb is available (tutorial on woshub to re-add ESP + MSR, then copy *.efi files from %windir%)
    • Diskpart shrink QUERYMAX tells me that I have 4gb, but wont let me free up (tried 228 [100efi + 128msr as well trying 116 after finding out win10 msr only 16mb).

• Can I migrate / defreg files to back of disk, opening up more room b4 os part?
    • what about single partition windows installs, where x looks in windir for boot information? where x is ? EFI? BCD? i'm not sure, i got the impression that if no ESP part, windows looks in the %windir%

thanks =)

:)

hAirypAulsAck, Mar 22, 2019
  2. budi Win User

How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another

ESP was created but
    bcdboot C:\windows /s U: (or with /f UEFI)
    not works, info is still Hidden in DIskpart list vol or None in 3rd party GUI partition programs

Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options? [​IMG]

start and login normally, no multi boot option

3. topgundcp Win User
    How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another

You must have done something wrong or did not follow exactly what I posted above. If done correctly, you should see 2 EFI System partitions and both can boot into Windows. From Boot Menu, you should see 2 Windows Boot Manager

Why did you use list volume instead of list partition ? you need to know which partition to delete.

Try again. Use the first Windows Boot Manager to boot. Once in Windows, delete the second Windows Boot Manager.

topgundcp, Mar 22, 2019
  4. gronostaj Win User

Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options?

Create EFI partition before installing Windows 10

Most likely, you won't need larger ESP (EFI System Partition). Windows OS loader is rather small and Fedora will most likely just install GRUB on ESP and place the rest of its boot files in /boot which will be on a separate partition anyway. Unless you're going to experiment with unusual Linux setups (like EFISTUB booting etc.), 100 MB should be sufficient.

If you want to have a larger ESP just in case, you can create one using Windows installation media before the partitioning step.

How to manually create ESP using Windows installation media

Before the partitioning step:

(Technically, you could also do this on the partitioning step and click Refresh afterwards.)

1. Press Shift+F10 to open Command Line.
    2. Type diskpart Enter. Diskpart will take a while to launch.
    3. Type list disk Enter A list of disks will be printed. Note the number next to yours (most likely 0). Select that disk: select disk 0 Enter.
    4. Create ESP: create partition efi size=500 Enter (500 is partition size in MiB).
    5. Exit Diskpart: exit Enter.

gronostaj, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options?

1. Lost EFI/ESP Partition | No Room Preceding OS Part | Options? - Similar Threads - Lost EFI ESP

2. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot find room for the EFI system partition.: C:\WINDOWS\system32>MBR2GPT.EXE /convert /allowfullos MBR2GPT will now attempt to convert the default book disk. If conversion is successful the disk can only be booted in GPT mode. These changes cannot be undone! MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 1 MBR2GPT: Retrieving...
  3. How do find room for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do find room for EFI system partition?: I've been trying to convert my Legacy bios to UEFI, to access secure boot and update to windows 11. I've been trying with to convert my disk using the mbr2gpt method, but I keep getting Can not find room for the EFI system partition. I've tried shrinking my C: and have 5gb of...
  4. How do find room for EFI system partition?

How do find room for EFI system partition?: I've been trying to convert my Legacy bios to UEFI, to access secure boot and update to windows 11. I've been trying with to convert my disk using the mbr2gpt method, but I keep getting Can not find room for the EFI system partition. I've tried shrinking my C: and have 5gb of...
  5. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hey everyone! So I've been trying to upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11.Downloaded PC Health Check --> Secure boot is missingNeed to change mi disk to GPT this lead me to MBR2GPT /convert /allowFullOsI get the Cannot find room for the EFI system partition in Command Propt...
  6. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hey everyone! So I've been trying to upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11.Downloaded PC Health Check --> Secure boot is missingNeed to change mi disk to GPT this lead me to MBR2GPT /convert /allowFullOsI get the Cannot find room for the EFI system partition in Command Propt...
  7. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

8. cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hey guys!So I've been notified that Windows 11 is available to upgrade to, but just as many other people, I cannot upgrade due to still being on Legecy MBR and TPM off. I tried the MBR2GPT cmd method and validation is successfull, but upon trying to convert I always get the...
  9. cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hey guys!So I've been notified that Windows 11 is available to upgrade to, but just as many other people, I cannot upgrade due to still being on Legecy MBR and TPM off. I tried the MBR2GPT cmd method and validation is successfull, but upon trying to convert I always get the...
  10. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

Cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hello, Microsoft forum people.Recently I've been trying to update from legacy bios to UEFI using mbr2gpt command. However non of my attempt actually succeeded. I kept getting an "Cannot find room for the EFI system partition" error over and over again. I tried all the...