Windows 10: Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder

Discus and support Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had been using Windows 10 at home with a local account after the PC was updated from Windows 7. Everything was fine even after I changed the account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GraceChen6, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder

I had been using Windows 10 at home with a local account after the PC was updated from Windows 7. Everything was fine even after I changed the account to a newly applied Microsoft account. However, all the files under Desktop and Documents were gone after a major Windows update. I have tried a lot of things, web searching, changing the Microsoft account back to a local account, and even purchasing EaseUS Data Recovery software trying to find the files. Now I can find all the files using EaseUS Data Recovery at "Lost Partition" but couldn't recover the files because they are all corrupted. I don't think I can do anything more by myself. Please help to find a solution if there is one. Thanks.

:)

GraceChen6, Oct 30, 2018

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 30, 2018
  3. marinro Win User
    Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder

lost folders from desktop

Hello,

It is possible that your folders were deleted, hidden, or move where they are saved before. For us to efficiently assist you, we would like to ask a few questions:

• Could you tell us if you have tried checking if those folders are hidden?
    • Have you tried to check your Recycle Bin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Meanwhile, we advise that you follow the suggestions provided in this
    article
    on how to find missing files in Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your response.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder

1. Lost everything in Desktop and Documents folder - Similar Threads - Lost everything Desktop

2. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost documents folder for a user: I had unstalled miniconda and noticed my documents folder is gone with all the python notebooks! how do I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-documents-folder-for-a-user/fa926e37-d687-44b4-974f-09f8870995c3
  3. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost documents folder for a user: I had unstalled miniconda and noticed my documents folder is gone with all the python notebooks! how do I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-documents-folder-for-a-user/fa926e37-d687-44b4-974f-09f8870995c3
  4. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Recover lost folders and documents

Recover lost folders and documents: My son upgrade my laptop from Windows 8.1 I think this was the previous version to Windows 10 and did not save any of my documents and file folders. Is there a way to recover these documents and personal folders?...
  6. Recover lost folders and documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover lost folders and documents: My son upgrade my laptop from Windows 8.1 I think this was the previous version to Windows 10 and did not save any of my documents and file folders. Is there a way to recover these documents and personal folders?...
  7. Lost Document Folder

Lost Document Folder: I have inserted a new SSD to my desktop with a Windows 10. Before that, I have an HDD 500Gb also Win10 that I used for almost 10 years. So, it has my files, precious photos, videos, and more.... Now, while I'm organizing the default location of...
  8. lost documents, photographs, everything

lost documents, photographs, everything: After your update last night, my files are empty. Where are my documents? Where are my Photographs? I've been through every file listed and most of all my stored information is gone. My printer won't work, although it's down as my default. The only thing working is my...
  9. Lost documents folder contents

Lost documents folder contents: Hi, after an automatic Windows 10 update all my documents vanished from the Documents folder - I now believe this was because a temporary profile was set up. Unfortunately I found my documents and returned them to the "new" documents folder. After re-booting, the temporary...
  10. Lost My Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost My Documents Folder: Hi, Please be gentle as new to this; *Sick I have Windows 10 with all updates. Noticed that One Drive h as not been 'working' since late 2018, or that was the date of the latest document. Tried to get this organised but with my arthritic hands I somehow dropped My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lost everything on desktop