Windows 10: Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

Discus and support Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just recently had to get a new laptop because the motherboard in my previous laptop died unexpectedly. I was able to connect to my old hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fredrounsaville, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

I have just recently had to get a new laptop because the motherboard in my previous laptop died unexpectedly. I was able to connect to my old hard drive until there was an issue with my Windows 10. I had a Microsoft agent check my system and he determined that i need to to have a Windows 10 update. He took over my computer and did his magic changing all sorts of things that a non computer programmer doesn't understand.

Long story short is that I still can't see my external hard drive and I believe the Microsoft agent initialized my hard drive. How do I recover an initialized hard drive? And shouldn't Microsoft be responsible for this recovery? How do I get in touch with the Agent that updated my computer?

Help please I need to get my old tax records off my hard drive...tic toc!!!

:)

fredrounsaville, Mar 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 update lost external hard drive

A Windows 10 update was pushed to my new PC. Prior to the update my PC recognized my external hard drive. Now I cannot connect. I have years of data on that hard drive. It still connects when plugged into Vista 64 PC.

[Original title: windows 10 update lost external hard drive]

[Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Tools]

bulltprfgumybear, Mar 22, 2019
  3. John Vil Win User
    Windows 10 update lost external hard drive

Hi,

Incompatible/outdated USB drivers may be one of the possible reasons your external hard drive is no longer recognized by your recently updated Windows 10 PC. To better assist you and provide you with the appropriate resolution, we would like to know a few more
    information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• What is the current version/build of your Windows 10 PC? To check, type
      winver
      on Cortana's search field and press Enter.
    • Are there any available updates for your USB drivers?
    • Have you tried connecting your external hard drive to a different USB port on the same computer?

In the meantime, you may try to run the hardware troubleshooter and see if the issue persists. Here are the steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Select view all on the top left pane.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

1. Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Lost external hard

2. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  3. Windows updates and external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows updates and external hard drive: Does windows updates have an effect on external hard drives? I recently encounter an issue with my hard drive, my laptop randomly stopped detecting my external hard drive and it crashed my windows explorer. I tried to find a solution but I had no luck. I stopped trying to fix...
  4. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  5. External Hard Drive and Windows 10

External Hard Drive and Windows 10: So I’ve been using two external hard drives on Windows 7. I just use them for file storage and not for Windows automated back-up. I have a different external hard drive for the automated back-up. Can I just physically connect the two external hard drives I use for file...
  6. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  7. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...
  8. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker: Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access my hard drive...
  9. External Hard Drive (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard Drive (Windows 10): Hello, I have been using 2TB external hard drive for a couple of months and at the beginning I had no problems with it. Recently I noticed that my hard drive was taking longer and longer to load and open up the files although I only had like 600 GB filled. Just now, the...
  10. Hard Drive Format during Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Format during Update: UPDATE: After mega trouble of getting Insider status back after a hard drive replacement, and many hours of help from LCmdr (thank you again sir) I was able to rejoin. My first function of course was to update. While downloading the update and getting my last reboot, the...