Windows 10: Lost files after WIndows 10 update

Discus and support Lost files after WIndows 10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After a recent Windows 10 update, ALL my documents stored in a Windows.old folder have disappeared. There was over 20 years worth of important files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by woomik, Mar 10, 2020.

1. woomik Win User

Lost files after WIndows 10 update

After a recent Windows 10 update, ALL my documents stored in a Windows.old folder have disappeared.

There was over 20 years worth of important files stored in that folder and now they have all gone.

Is there any way of retrieving them?

:)

woomik, Mar 10, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Melowin Mar, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Lost files after WIndows 10 update

Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

Lost files after WIndows 10 update

1. Lost files after WIndows 10 update - Similar Threads - Lost files update

2. Files lost after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files lost after update: I update win10 from 1709 to 20H2, and clean the system by dism++, include the old system. But I can not open programs such as notepad.exe/mspaint.exe. Maybe I deleted them all by mistake? How can I fix it?...
  3. Lost a file after Windows update!

Lost a file after Windows update!: I allowed auto update of Windows, but afterwards could no longer load Word or Excel because this file was missing: AppVlsvSubsystems32.dll ARRGGH! What do I do?...
  4. lost files after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost files after Windows 10 update: I just downloaded the Windows 10 update, now my Pictures folder and Documents folder are empty! How can I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-files-after-windows-10-update/eec4126b-c326-4758-9fe5-76db28b159d9
  5. lost files after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lost files after update: my files disappeared after microsoft made automatic update. how can we get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-files-after-update/f4ba6af2-bb21-40a5-bb48-cb3c3e0c8433
  6. Lost Files After Updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost Files After Updating: I cleared space so I could update. After updating I couldn't sign it, b/c my User Profile failed to load. When It did indeed load, all of my files were gone. My whole livelihood is on the PC. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Ginola331...
  7. Files lost after Windows 10 update

Files lost after Windows 10 update: Hi, yesterday I updated my Laptop to 1903 (it is mainly used to store files) and after that my files were moved to an extra Folder called windows.old. So after that I moved the files to my normal folders and kept working. Today I installed another update and after that my...
  8. Lost files after win 10 update.

Lost files after win 10 update.: I recently lost ALL my files after another Windows update,, I had noticed a little while back that my shortcuts were not working... and that for some reason all my files were in a directory called Windows.old.. I was trying to work out how they were there,, and then now...
  9. Lost folders and files after updating Windows 10

Lost folders and files after updating Windows 10: Please help me retrieve all my folders and files lost after srlecting the Windows 10 update. I see my programs but no folders I created or access to onedrive or icloud....
  10. Lost files after Windows 10 October 2018 update

Lost files after Windows 10 October 2018 update: Two days ago I installed the October update and was surprised that 2 of my pst files have disappeared. The weird part is that the same directory had 2 other pst files that luckily did not get affected. All other files seem to be safe as they are OneDrive. Not sure if there...