Windows 10: Lost files during cut and paste

Discus and support Lost files during cut and paste in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there So I was cutting and pasting several large folders from my laptop to hard drive when my laptop suddenly turned off. When I turned it back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanielFuller, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Lost files during cut and paste

Hi there

So I was cutting and pasting several large folders from my laptop to hard drive when my laptop suddenly turned off.

When I turned it back on again, I could see that the files were gone from the one disk E:, and I could also see that my C: folder had exactly that much room less than it did before it was about 7 GB in total. So I am guessing that they are hiding out somewhere in C:, but I cannot figure out how to access them.

Can you help me out with this problem? Which folders should I be checking I have already scanned through some and am having no luck?

Thanks

Dan

:)

DanielFuller, Mar 30, 2020

2. Major defect with WM6 - Cut & Paste, then Cancel resulting in lost files!!

Reproduction steps

IPAQ 214, with WM6 classic, CE OS 5.2.1711 (build 18165.0.5.0)

PC - WinXP Pro, SP2

• Connect ipaq to PC via USB cable.
    • Select mulitiple files from ipaq via Win Explorer on PC
    • Cut and paste files to a folder on PC (by drag & drop whilst holding Shift key)
    • Whilst files are copying, click cancel (on PC dialogue box)
    Expected results

Cut and paste operation ceases, leaving any uncopied files from source (i.e. files should remain on ipaq)

Actual results

Cut and paste operation ceases, and all files are MISSING from source.

Result/impact

I have lost all my data.

Any advice on data recovery?

If anyone has any advice for me regarding how to recover the data I would be very much obliged.

Best regards

Mark

Mark Davies10, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Windows recover files lost during cut and paste

If files are lost using a cut and paste operation in Windows 10, e.g. due to a system crash, where do I find the files?

A friend of mine recently lost really important files due to cut and pasting onto a usb drive and then not ejecting the usb drive correctly.

I tried locating the files on his system but could not find them.

Is it really the case that Windows does just delete the files from the source directory before ensuring that they are moved to the target directory successfully? If so, how do I disable the cut and paste functionality as I consider it to be a seriously messed up bug then.

logical x 2, Mar 30, 2020
  4. WillJDunn Win User

Lost files during cut and paste

Files gone after cut/paste then undo (control+z)

I seem to have lost my files after doing the following steps. Is there a way for me to find the files?

• I created a new folder in "Pictures" called "MomsPhone" C:\Users\willj\Pictures\MomsPhone
    • I selected the picture files from the android phone's DCIM folder, right clicked and chose "Cut"
    • Right clicked in the "MomsPhone" folder and chose "Paste"
    • In the "Pictures" directory, pressed control+z (undo)
    After the above the "MomsPhone" directory is gone, the only folder in "Pictures" that was created today is "New folder" which is empty. The files from the original device (pictures from android phone's DCIM folder) are also gone (result of the cut/paste)

Edit: I use a Windows 10 HP with a Samsung SSD

WillJDunn, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Lost files during cut and paste

1. Lost files during cut and paste - Similar Threads - Lost files during

2. Cut - paste - undo - Lost all pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cut - paste - undo - Lost all pictures: During a cut and past, I undo to correct the destination directory and so I lost about 2gb of pictures of my holidays, any way to recovery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cut-paste-undo-lost-all-pictures/9ccdafb0-7714-4fe7-bb08-b5dd63677184
  3. Recover files lost after hitting undo on a cut paste operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover files lost after hitting undo on a cut paste operation: HiI was transfering some photos from mobile to pc and I used cut paste option. the copy was completed and i was doing some other operation when I hit undo a few times and all the files that i copied were lost along with the folder. The photos are not in recycle bin, i didnt...
  4. Recover files lost after hitting undo on a cut paste operation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover files lost after hitting undo on a cut paste operation: HiI was transfering some photos from mobile to pc and I used cut paste option. the copy was completed and i was doing some other operation when I hit undo a few times and all the files that i copied were lost along with the folder. The photos are not in recycle bin, i didnt...
  5. Recover files lost after hitting undo on a cut paste operation

6. How to recover Files lost during Cut and Paste in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to recover Files lost during Cut and Paste in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If some files are lost during cut and paste, you can follow this article to get them back. Here is how you can recover files lost during a cut and paste operation in Windows 11 and Windows 10. Although it is pretty unusual, you may encounter this issue on your...
  7. How to find lost files after cut & paste

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find lost files after cut & paste: 1 I connected my phone & an external hard drive to my PC2 I cut a hundred or so .jpg pictures that were stored my phone and pasted them into a folder I just created on my external hard drive.3 Later without having disconnected either the phone or the hard drive I couldn't...
  8. How to find lost files after cut & paste

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find lost files after cut & paste: 1 I connected my phone & an external hard drive to my PC2 I cut a hundred or so .jpg pictures that were stored my phone and pasted them into a folder I just created on my external hard drive.3 Later without having disconnected either the phone or the hard drive I couldn't...
  9. Cut and paste files to usb. But lost usb now

Cut and paste files to usb. But lost usb now: Is there a way to recover now those files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cut-and-paste-files-to-usb-but-lost-usb-now/7da6216b-58d3-430f-8e4a-6437e20d1f13
  10. data lost after cut the files and paste into new folder during updating my windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    data lost after cut the files and paste into new folder during updating my windows 10: yesterday, I cut some of the files and paste into the new folder on my desktop during updating my windows 10. later I noticed some icons were missing on my desktop, then I undo paste and keep undoing later I found some files were missing I tried everything but couldn't found...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Connect ipaq to PC via USB cable. Select mulitiple files from ipaq via Win Explorer on PC Cut and paste files to a folder on PC (by drag & drop whilst holding Shift key) Whilst files are copying click cancel (on PC dialogue box)