Windows 10: Lost Files, music, apps from W10 User Account

Discus and support Lost Files, music, apps from W10 User Account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I seem to have lost all my files, music and apps in my W10 user account. I am unable to click on the start menu, the only way I can get any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dbcdm12, Dec 23, 2015.

1. dbcdm12 Win User

Lost Files, music, apps from W10 User Account

Hello I seem to have lost all my files, music and apps in my W10 user account. I am unable to click on the start menu, the only way I can get any function from it is to right click on it. The start menu does not seem to work on any of the accounts.

Have uninstalled my McAfee AV

Have tried to do a W10 reinstall ( The previous version of windows was W8.1) But get the "Something Happened W10 Instillation has failed" at first the 25% 33% 44% and now the 83% part of the instillation.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I am getting desperate

:)

dbcdm12, Dec 23, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

windows 10 repair gone bad

If you've lost personal files from Documents/Pictures/Music/etc look inside the windows.old for those \users\name\folders but other than that you will need to reinstall newly any missing programs and apps you lost & need.

Most of my settings are sync'ed in settings to my Microsoft accounts, think stored in onedrive & email, they mostly will come back within a few hours. Look at Settings / Accounts Sync your settings.

'Mike P, Dec 23, 2015
  3. windows store missing

Hi Jones,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• Are you using local account or Microsoft account?
    • Do you have any other user account on your computer?

Sorry to inform you that if you have deleted local account then all the data \ files \ apps are lost and if the Microsoft account have been deleted then you can add the same account on your computer and retrieve the apps but not the data \ files it will
    be lost.

Before deleting the account you would have got the prompt as you have mentioned
    “It would delete all music and apps on the account” it means what all the data’s \ files \ apps are stored in that account will be deleted along with the account.

If you have another user account on your computer then you can login to that account and go to ‘c’ or ‘d’ drive check in public folder whether you can find the lost data \ files.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 23, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Dec 24, 2015
  5. dbcdm12 Win User
    Thanks for your help Essenbe, I have been trying the repair install but get the Something happened error message at various points of the instillation. I did manage to find the reset button, via settings on the right of the task bar unfortunately that failed due to a "WHEA_ uncorrectable_Error.

Unable to find C:/Windows.OLD folder.

dbcdm12, Dec 24, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    Do you have backup copies of your User files you are missing? They should be in your Documents, Music, Photos folders or in a Windows.old folder. A WHEA error is usually a hardware or overclocking error. I notice you have a Dell, so I imagine you are not overclocking anything. Were you having problems before upgrading? I know a lot of questions. And there will be more. But, If your files are on there, I would hate to fix the computer problems and risk losing your files. If you had a backup of them, it wouldn't be an issue.

essenbe, Dec 24, 2015
  7. dbcdm12 Win User
    I can access user files and everything is backed up to an external HD.

I had a problem with the pre-installed copy of W8 a couple of years ago, Dell sent me a USB copy of W8 and I reinstalled, and it worked well. The upgrade to W10 was pretty straight forward.

I

dbcdm12, Dec 25, 2015
  8. essenbe Win User

Try this and see what you get. Right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time.

Also please post screenshots of CPUz ([URL="https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/how-to-upload-and-post-screenshots-and-files-at-ten-forums.8193/']https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html[/url]

essenbe, Dec 25, 2015
  9. dbcdm12 Win User
    Lost Files, music, apps from W10 User Account [​IMG]

dbcdm12, Dec 25, 2015
  10. dbcdm12 Win User
    Sorry seem to have posted too many of Slot #1

I ran scannow and did not find any integrity violations

Sorry I'm so slow and once again thank you so much

dbcdm12, Dec 25, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Dec 25, 2015
  12. dbcdm12 Win User
    It has been a complete run around but I have finally succeeded. The main problem being I had lost the function from the start menu and could not get into settings either.

The only thing that worked was a reset, which I did by right clicking on start menu >shut down and sign out Press shift and Restart at the same time,select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.Follow on from there.

I did not try the following but am sure would be the same

If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key
    +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

dbcdm12, Dec 28, 2015
  13. essenbe Win User

Great I'm really glad you got it fixed. I'm sorry it was such a pain, but sometimes it happens that way. Congratulations on a good job.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost Files, music, apps from W10 User Account - Similar Threads - Lost Files music

2. User account lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  3. User account lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  4. User account lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost Files in my user account

Lost Files in my user account: Hi Microsoft, Yesterday, I changed my user account from microsoft user account to a local account and all my important files were gone. I already checked the drive C:\Users\filename the folder was there and some files but all of my import files were gone. Is there another way...
  6. Lost user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost user account: Hi, I had some trouble with Windows and reset it, this kept my files and programs. It logged me on with the administrator account, Windows is ok but one user account is gone. The folder is no longer there in Users, Windows still seems to remember its password in some areas....
  7. Lost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost User Account: Have a computer with Windows 10 Pro, I used to have 2 user accounts on it. The other account is not showing showing up? I ran the AccountProfileFixer and it fixed the problem until the computer reboots. When I start the computer next day its gone again, not sure what caused...
  8. User account says music

User account says music: Ok so I noticed this the other day. My C:\User\Darren account now says C:\User\Music with the music icon in front of it. How do I get it back to say the right thing? If I type c:\user\darren in the address bar it goes to the right folder but this is beyond odd....
  9. User Account Lost

User Account Lost: I'm not sure how, when, or what happened here. but this morning I found that my user id, “C:\Users\UnknownUser” contained all my working directories was gone and that “Users\Downloads” with a large blue down-arrow had replaced it and that it contained all my working...
  10. User account lost from startup screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account lost from startup screen: My wife's account is no longer on the startup screen of my computer. I have delted her account & reset it multiple times and deleted from the registry as well. Every time it does not come back BUT when I add it back in as a user it says she can sign it but again, its not on...