Windows 10: Lost folders in Explorer

Discus and support Lost folders in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Does anybody have any idea why some of my folders are missing now from explorer and all windows apps/file manager...BUT I can see them from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by deeaa, Oct 17, 2015.

1. deeaa Win User

Lost folders in Explorer

Hello,

Does anybody have any idea why some of my folders are missing now from explorer and all windows apps/file manager...BUT I can see them from Command Line and also some of the folders include for instance videos and I can see the videos there...and in the file properties I can see the real folder too...but it can't be accessed anywhere else.

Does that make sense? An example:

I have a V:\Home Videos folder. It doesn't show anywhere in Windows EXCEPT when I go to 'Videos' and pick a video file and see in properties: V:\Home Videos. And the video plays fine and all; just can't access it from anywhere else! (Except command line).

I have checked the folder permissions and all, don't seem to have a problem there. Show hidden files is on and such.

:)

deeaa, Oct 17, 2015

2. Lost email folders with installation of Windows 10

I have several folders for emails in my Internet Explorer. When Microsoft took it up themselves to update my laptop with Windows 10 I lost all the stuff I had in those folders (pictures, documents, letters, etc). How do I retrieve all those lost items?
    Is there a way to sync the folders to Windows 10?

Moved from IE10

Original title: Internet Explorer olders

CareKester, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Cannot restore file explorer folder location defaults

If you changed this one: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders , I think it gets over written by whatever is in:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders - i.e. that's why your changes got lost.

pauljturner99, Oct 17, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Lost folders in Explorer

Post a picture of This PC.

Does it show a V:? Is V: a flash drive or mapped network drive?

Ztruker, Oct 18, 2015
  5. deeaa Win User
    I'll get a screenshot. There may actually be other folders not showing as well.

V: is a physical internal 1tb drive.

I corrected it by creating another folder V:\HomeVideos (as opposed to with a space) and then moved the videos visible from "My Videos" and really being on V drive to that folder. Now they are showing OK and there is just an older invisible Home Videos folder remaining.

deeaa, Oct 18, 2015
  6. deeaa Win User
    Lost folders in Explorer [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot. The Home Video folder in CMD window isn't visible in any programs or explorer BUT the 'videos' folder points to that folder and if I copy stuff to videos folder, it becomes invisible to Windows elsewhere and vice versa Lost folders in Explorer :)

deeaa, Oct 18, 2015
  7. deeaa Win User
    Another weird folder found. I can't access a certain folder without it always saying 'you don't have the right to access this folder click to gain permanent access' and then I can get to the folder. Which is a regular folder created by myself, not a system folder. Well, now when I try to back out of said folder in filemanager, it says this:

Lost folders in Explorer [​IMG]

And I have to close filemanager and reopen it to access any other folders ? Lost folders in Explorer :)

This is really weird.

I have often had problems with home networked computers; if I upgrade one machine to say from 7 to 8.1 I can't access its files any more from other network computers before I 'rebuild' the network; and even after that most folders report I have 'no rights' to access the folders even though I'm using an admin account. It can be a real PITA sometimes, and honestly it'd sometimes be much easier to just clean install the whole windows and copy each drive and directory to a new backup drive and then back to rebuild the directories.

deeaa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost folders in Explorer

1. Lost folders in Explorer - Similar Threads - Lost folders Explorer

2. Lost Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Folder: Back in April computer did an update. It kept the same User LogIn but the start up screen was not the same . There was few less icons on this start up desktop not the same background, could find all files and folders. Late last week noticed the search feature not working...
  3. Lost folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost folders: Hi, I have lost a number of folders following the latest windows 10 update. I have tried all of the recommended solutions, performed a system reastore and web chatted with Micrsoft. Has anyone been able to slve this problem>...
  4. Lost screenshot folder in file explorer. Windows 10

Lost screenshot folder in file explorer. Windows 10: Please help!! My screenshot folder has completely vanished, and all contents therein. I've looked in every folder I have, including Onedrive. I've rebooted, and did a system restore. 4 years of work have simply vanished. Is there someone who can help me??...
  5. Lost folder

Lost folder: [ATTACH] When I go to "My PC" on my HP laptop,I cannot open the Downloads folder.I get this error message.The page says: This PC.The folders in it are:3D Pictures,Desktop,Documents,Downloads,Music,Pictures and Videos.These came with the laptop....
  6. Lost folder

Lost folder: Hello! I preinstalled my windows, because it was running pretty slow/bad and later today I found out that i didn't saved 1 folder that was very important. By very important i mean VERY VERY IMPORTANT folder. My question is: Is there any way that i can get it back? I don't...
  7. Folder lost

Folder lost: Hi, I opened 2 file explorer windows let's called it A & B. From A, I cut some pictures and click B and paste it in a new folder there. I went back to A and click undo twice. The new folder with the newly pasted pictures were all gone. Anyone can advice how do I get back...
  8. Lost Folder

Lost Folder: I have lost a couple of folders and cannot trace what happened. In Word, I can see the docs that have been created but when I click to open I get the message "Directory not found" or something to that effect. Is there any way of retrieving? If I reset the computer to an...
  9. Lost Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Folder: How do I recover a Folder that disappeared from my Desk Top?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-folder/c9f944f5-52de-494a-a7be-e7340b6e0ee5
  10. "Lost" Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    "Lost" Folder: I have "lost" my Notepad folder. Each time I try just have folder title with blank white screen. Have feeling that I somehow moved it off the Desktop. Appreciate assistance please. Must be using search facility incorrectly as cannot find answer*Redface rgds. 133436