Windows 10: Lost hard drives

Discus and support Lost hard drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by debcoinc, Sep 17, 2020.

1. debcoinc Win User

Lost hard drives

I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They started dropping out about a week ago, one or two or all, and now all have dropped out completely. The three are plugged into a USB three switch and all three work on my backup computer and none show up on my main computer. USB pen drives show up on both computers. I have unplugged the external hard drives from the switch and plug them into two external hubs plugged into the main computer and they don't show up. The pen drives plugged into the same USB ports show up. I have plugged the external drives directly into the computer and they don't show up. I have plugged in the pen drives into the same ports and they show up.

The external drives do not show up in either the disk manager or device manager. I have checked the power managers and disabled any power savers.

I am at and absolute loss as to where to go from here. All the hardware been checked out work except for the drives themselves in the main computer. Everything works in the backup.HELP

:)

debcoinc, Sep 17, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Lost hard drives :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 17, 2020
  4. Lost hard drives

little cat, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

Lost hard drives

1. Lost hard drives - Similar Threads - Lost hard drives

2. Lost 68 of data on hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost 68 of data on hard drive: Can anyone help me on this issue? I suddenly lost 68 gb of data. Multiple folders and files dissappeared. Randomly. There is no clue. Some subfolders can still be there, while others are completely gone with all the content in it... submitted by /u/MrMelomaan [link]...
  3. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  4. Lost partition on my internal hard drive

Lost partition on my internal hard drive: I have a Dell XPS that is running Windows 10. I had a hard drive that was partitioned into a C: drive with 200 Gb for programs and a D: drive with 1.7 Tb for data. I was deleting programs a few days ago to free up hard drive space and I remember several versions of Visual...
  5. moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files

moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files: So my previous computer windows 7 started having OS issues, and wouldn't boot properly. A friend of mine gave me one of their older computers after upgrading it to Windows 10. So I moved the old comps hard drives into the new one to back up everything before fixing the...
  6. Lost several functions after hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost several functions after hard drive replacement: I recently had the hard drive replaced in my Acer laptop. After the drive was replaced, the computer did a bunch of new updates automatically, and now I seem to have lost several functions. I have no sound from the built in speakers. If I plug in external speakers, I get...
  7. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  8. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...
  9. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  10. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...