Windows 10: Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

Discus and support Lost icons on the desktop and file manager in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As the figure showns below, on the desktop, the apps are functionally normal but the icons are missing. That also happens in the file manager. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WadeLin1285, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

As the figure showns below, on the desktop, the apps are functionally normal but the icons are missing. That also happens in the file manager. However, in the startup menu, the icons and tiles are normal.

I have tried restarting my PC, "/scannow" on cmd which no issue is detected, switching between Tablet Mode/Desktop Mode, and reselecting "View/Show desktop icons". But all of this did not work, how do I fix this?

ps. I am using Microsoft Surface Go.

Lost icons on the desktop and file manager [​IMG]

:)

WadeLin1285, Mar 4, 2021
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Mar 4, 2021
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 4, 2021
  4. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

1. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager - Similar Threads - Lost icons desktop

2. Lost files on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files on Desktop: Wednesday night I was out. A thunderstorm came through the area and knocked the power out. I had left my computer on and naturally it shut down. The next morning I restarted my computer and noticed that my background screen image had changed from the picture I used to the...
  3. Lost Desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Desktop icons: All my Desktop Icons vanished and can't get them back. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-icons/dff73362-0977-4f52-b19b-d53c69035492
  4. Lost desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost desktop icons: My wife was trying to delete document icons on screen two. She clicked one then hit shift to highlight them all. The problem lies in that she didn't release the shift button before moving the mouse toward the recycle bin. In her path, she wiped out multiple icons on screen...
  5. Lost desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost desktop files: Apparently there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed out. All my desktop files and internet shortcuts have been deleted. How/where can I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-files/20db6b24-3e67-4c01-9e32-a4a40e217f77
  6. Lost desktop icon shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost desktop icon shortcuts: I just did a fresh install of Win 10 from Win 7 I saved the desktop shortcuts from C:\Users\myname\Desktop to a stick, i was using Chrome as the default engine. After i installed Win 10 and copied the desktop folder back under my username the icons and the name of the...
  7. File Manager, icons

File Manager, icons: I have a problem with understanding icons in the File Manager.I view some of them in different colors blue,red, black or white.Do I have to keep them or can remove these icons permanently?...
  8. File lost on Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File lost on Desktop: I was creating an image file (png) and I saved it to my desktop. I then went to send it to someone, realized I had forgotten something, then went in to edit it again. I received an error that I could not access the file due to not having permissions, despite being the...
  9. lost my desktop icons

lost my desktop icons: lost my original desktop and the icons, need help please to get back to original windows 10 and icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-desktop-icons/3106ac95-354b-4fc1-abe4-a01c22e1136b
  10. Lost Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Desktop Files: I'm worried I may have done something very stupid. I just moved to another country and forgot my extra hard drive, so I didn't back up my files before upgrading to Windows 10. The installation went fine. After the install was done, I tested out a number of programs with no...