Windows 10: Lost installation of windows 10 after formatting the other drive

Discus and support Lost installation of windows 10 after formatting the other drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have 2 seperated (physically) SSD drives in my laptop. Previously I had windows 8.1 on one drive, and I installed windows 7 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by benyuliel, Aug 22, 2015.

1. benyuliel Win User

Lost installation of windows 10 after formatting the other drive

Hello everyone,

I have 2 seperated (physically) SSD drives in my laptop.
    Previously I had windows 8.1 on one drive, and I installed windows 7 and upgraded it to windows 10 on the other SSD drive.

I enjoyed windows 10, so I formatted the drive with the windows 8.1, but now suddenly my laptop says he can't find system drive, and I can't load the windows 10, althogh it was installed with no connection to the windows 8.1 and on another drive.

Why did this happen? how can i fix it?

Thanks,

Beny

:)

benyuliel, Aug 22, 2015

2. Regarding "Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?"

Hi there~

My question here is will I be able to install Windows 10 IF I format my PC? As for other version of Windows, it should normally be installed by using Disc. Even after formatting PC the Windows is reinstall using Disc bought from the store.
    As Windows 10 is available Online, what will happen once I format my PC and wanted to install Windows 10 instead of other Windows? Will I lost my free upgrade after formatting it?

Sherlockian神秘, Aug 22, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Install Windows after "Operating system not found".

Hi Michi, Please Beware, if you have data on that drive, please don't do that - you will loose your data, because creating the Installation Media will create a new partition on that drive and all other data will be lost

If you have no data on the drive, you can use it and once Windows 10 is installed, you can then format the drive to get the whole drive space back . . .

DaveM121, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Anytime you install an OS with two or more connected drives Windows can end up installing part of the boot partition on the other drive even if you target a specific drive for installation. That seems to have happened on your 8.1 drive and when you formatted that drive you would have deleted that partition, Try a repair install. And this time only connect the single drive.

Snakeyes, Aug 22, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also, if you have another computer you can load Macrium Reflect Free on it. Make a rescue CD/USB with it. Boot from that on the laptop and under the tools menu of Macrium Reflect Free you will find a utility to fix boot problems. It will find your Windows 10 and set up the boot files for it on the proper SSD.

Make sure you adjusted the boot drive in BIOS to point to the SSD containing Windows 10 first. If you don't, it could cause problems.

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Sorry, but unlike with previous Windows versions, the MR Boot media Windows Repair does not necessarily work on Win10 -- I know, because I tried it. Turns out that Win10 does some hidden file compression in some of its versions. IF that is the case with yours, the MR tool will not work. I'm running Win10 Pro 64-bit, which I installed clean from a USB stick made using the Media Creation Tool, and my attempt to do a Windows Repair with it failed -- every time. I opened a ticket with Macrium, and they (1) gave me the explanation provided above, and (2) said they're now working on a WinPE10 version of the boot media builder that should work on all Win10 versions.

Mark Phelps, Aug 23, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    and I had just the opposite experience. Trying to set up dual booting by cloning a partition I lost ability to boot altogether. Attempted to startup using the Windows 10 installation USB and repairing and it said could not repair the boot/startup files. Put in the Macrium Reflect Rescue USB and it rebuilt my boot files in under 1 minute and set up dual booting for me.

NavyLCDR, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Lost installation of windows 10 after formatting the other drive

Like I said, it does not work on SOME Win10 installs, while it does work on others. They are working on putting out a new WinPE version that will work on ALL Win10 installs.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost installation of windows 10 after formatting the other drive - Similar Threads - Lost installation formatting

2. lost product key after formatting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost product key after formatting: my friend gave me her asus vivobook windows 10pro and i need to format it after i format it the windows needs to be activated but i dont have the product key i tried to do the windows+x but different product key is showing what should i do?...
  3. format drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    format drive and install windows: Back when the user actually had ownership of their computer, we used to be able to format the hard dive completely and install windows. That's not possible with win 10. There's so much bloat wear and malware on here that this machine hardly functions. My only solution is to...
  4. format drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    format drive and install windows: Back when the user actually had ownership of their computer, we used to be able to format the hard dive completely and install windows. That's not possible with win 10. There's so much bloat wear and malware on here that this machine hardly functions. My only solution is to...
  5. Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.: Short explanation: I have a Dell notebook with two storage drives, one M.2 with Windows 10 Home installed, and a secondary drive for backup. After formatting the primary drive and reinstalling Windows in it, my secondary drive started asking for a Bitlocker key. I already...
  6. Installing Windows on Formatted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows on Formatted drive: Hi there, I have a NVMe SSD formatted to NTFS but when I try to install windows10 on it I'm told that it has a MBR partition table. When I go to disk management to try to convert it to a GPT disk it won't allow me to convert it. How do I fix this problem so the windows10 o/s...
  7. Formatted windows lost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Formatted windows lost: I formatted my new PC that I just purchased it is running windows 10 1909. Prior to the format I had windows 10 full version. But now that I have formatted it is taking me I need to activate a product key. I was assuming it would be a digital license but it isnt. What do I...
  8. Accidentaly formated drive and lost files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accidentaly formated drive and lost files: Hello Everyone, I accidentally formatted my HDD, while trying to install windows on a different drive. I tried EaseUS and Testdisk to retrieve the formatted partition to no avail. I might be doing something wrong though... any ideas/help? 145292
  9. Re Installing Windows After C Drive Format

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re Installing Windows After C Drive Format: Hello, I would like some help. I want to to a Complete reinstalltion of windows 10, I want to whipe all my drives then do a fresh installtion. however my version is a free upgraded version from a windows 7 pro install. How do I go about formating the hard drive and...
  10. Formatted Windows drive, format others too?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatted Windows drive, format others too?: This has been a point of confusion every time I do a clean format; I'm not sure what to do with my extra 1tb WD black drive. Usually I just format it as well, but I'd like to know whether or not this is necessary. I have programs installed on it, such as Unreal Engine, Steam...