Windows 10: Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.

Discus and support Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My HP Laptop came with Windows 10 but the system developed inabilities to boot successfully which warranted formating of the HP Laptop. After cleans OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Edwardhye, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Edwardhye Win User

Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.

My HP Laptop came with Windows 10 but the system developed inabilities to boot successfully which warranted formating of the HP Laptop. After cleans OS is installed the Windows 10 could not automatically get activation. Please what should I do to get my Window 10 licence back?

***Modified Title from: Please what should I do to get my Window 10 license back?***

:)

Edwardhye, Apr 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Apr 28, 2019
  3. Activate windows 10 after a clean install through digital license.

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10.

1. Lost License & activation upon clean installation of Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Lost License activation

2. Lost Windows activation upon SSD Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Windows activation upon SSD Installation: I've purchased mu HP laptop in the year 2014 with pre installed Activated Windows. In recent I've equipped SSD Drive to my pc and installed OS in that and my computer technician said that you will get the genuine OS. But unfortunately i am getting Your license is Expiring...
  3. Lost Windows activation upon SSD Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Windows activation upon SSD Installation: I've purchased mu HP laptop in the year 2014 with pre installed Activated Windows. In recent I've equipped SSD Drive to my pc and installed OS in that and my computer technician said that you will get the genuine OS. But unfortunately i am getting Your license is Expiring...
  4. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install: I followed all instructions and performed a successful clean install after adding a SSD drive to PC that was activated with digital PRO license before hardware change. Windows is insisting that I purchase Windows PRO version upgrade again. What did I do wrong?...
  5. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install: I followed all instructions and performed a successful clean install after adding a SSD drive to PC that was activated with digital PRO license before hardware change. Windows is insisting that I purchase Windows PRO version upgrade again. What did I do wrong?...
  6. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Clean re-install windows 10 digital license activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean re-install windows 10 digital license activation: I'm doing a clean reinstall on my mother's computer. My brother initially installed the free version of Windows 10. I understand how to do the clean install, but I'm worried about reactivation. According to the instructions, all I'd have to do is login to Microsoft when...
  8. After clean install, lost Pro license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After clean install, lost Pro license: I did a clean install on my Dell laptop and in the end it did not show Pro which I purchased through Windows 10 upgrade. I was charged from MS. Any ideas what to do ? Thanks 93847
  9. lost cd writer upon win 10 install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lost cd writer upon win 10 install: My CD writer is recognized by the asus bios , but after installing win 10, the OS does not recognize it. I have moved the sata cable from one port to the other, and tried several other things, all to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?? *Sad Everything else works fine! 12646
  10. Clean installs and licensing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installs and licensing: Im about to do a clean install of windows 10 as a last resort to possible clear up some issues i have been having are there any percautions i need to take? ill be using a product key from windows 7 pro 36226