Windows 10: Lost my default user account

Discus and support Lost my default user account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Lost my default user account

My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available.

Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure what I would see if I had opened my Microsoft account. I guess something happened.

I shut down and restarted my computer and to my surprise I was asked for a password. I don't recall what happened when I originally set up the computer, but would have eliminated the password, if possible. I fiddled around, not sure what to do, and accidentally selected Windows User when I started the computer again. Now I'm not asked, and Windows User is automatically used.

My default account is still on the computer. I started with Administrator privileges, and ran C:\WINDWS\system32>net user and it is listed as the default account (WDAGUtilityAccount is listed under the Default Account heading). Windows User is the guest account.

I attempted to use System Restore from the Windows User Account but it was off. Since it is a different account, it probably would not have helped.
    Any suggestions? Jim

:)

Jim8080, Oct 4, 2018

2. Lost User Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

If you have the Windows 10 installation DVD, I would suggest you to enable the default administrator and then try creating a new user account with administrative privileges.

Boot the computer into Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.
    • Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close the Command Prompt.

4. Try to login though Built in Administrator and create a new user account with Administrator rights.

To start the computer in safe mode. Type Settings in the search tab> under Recovery> Advanced Options>Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>Restart>select 4

After that you may follow the steps to transfer the data as suggested in the previous post. Please do not forget to disable the default account once you are done troubleshooting. Just follow the same stepsnet user
    administrator /active:no

Please let us know if it helps or if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Oct 4, 2018
  4. Lost my default user account

Lost User Account

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)/)
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(New-User-Profile-name)/)

4. Paste all those copied files here.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost my default user account

1. Lost my default user account - Similar Threads - Lost default user

2. User account lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  3. User account lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  4. User account lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost Files in my user account

Lost Files in my user account: Hi Microsoft, Yesterday, I changed my user account from microsoft user account to a local account and all my important files were gone. I already checked the drive C:\Users\filename the folder was there and some files but all of my import files were gone. Is there another way...
  6. Lost user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost user account: Hi, I had some trouble with Windows and reset it, this kept my files and programs. It logged me on with the administrator account, Windows is ok but one user account is gone. The folder is no longer there in Users, Windows still seems to remember its password in some areas....
  7. Lost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost User Account: Have a computer with Windows 10 Pro, I used to have 2 user accounts on it. The other account is not showing showing up? I ran the AccountProfileFixer and it fixed the problem until the computer reboots. When I start the computer next day its gone again, not sure what caused...
  8. default user accounts

default user accounts: I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is...
  9. User Account Lost

User Account Lost: I'm not sure how, when, or what happened here. but this morning I found that my user id, “C:\Users\UnknownUser” contained all my working directories was gone and that “Users\Downloads” with a large blue down-arrow had replaced it and that it contained all my working...
  10. Lost my default user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost my default user account: My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available. Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it...