Windows 10: Lost my desktop

Discus and support Lost my desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dell tablet with Windows 10. This morning I turned on the tablet and checked the local weather. All done. Turned off tablet. Turned it on a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milford, Jan 20, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Lost my desktop

Dell tablet with Windows 10.
    This morning I turned on the tablet and checked the local weather. All done. Turned off tablet.
    Turned it on a couple hrs later, no desktop icons showing, no apps showing. Just have desktop picture showing. I can access internet and file manager from the bar along the bottom of screen. The Windows icon in the left corner does not do anything unless I press and hold for several seconds. Then I get a menu for system, control panel, etc. Downloaded and ran malware scanners, and Avast. No change.
    If I swipe the screen left to right, the desktop icons appear for a split second. Swiping right to left doesn't work.

Any ideas?

:)

milford, Jan 20, 2016

2. Lost my desktop

I am really disappointed in he way windows 10 has reconfigured my hp Envy x2. My desktop has disappeared and I have to click on file explorer in order to bring it up. I don't like that at all! I would like to have it the way it was before. The desktop
    was there on the desktop and you clicked the windows icon to see your apps. Is there any way I can get this back???

CarmelaLeyva-Grueter, Jan 20, 2016
  3. Lost my desktop

Did you accidentally enter Tablet Mode? Next to your clock is the Action Center: you can go there to turn Tablet Mode off.

zachd [MSFT], Jan 20, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Lost my desktop

I don't have a windows 10 tablet.

Can your tablet do a system restore ?
    If yes, pick a date or 2 ago as your restore point and run the system restore.

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  5. milford Win User
    Nope. It said something was corrupted and could not restore.

milford, Jan 20, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    My suggestion(s) will be based on a PC and hopefully also applicable to a tablet.

Do a system file check. It is to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  7. milford Win User
    No integrity violation.

milford, Jan 20, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Lost my desktop

Want to do a Reset option ?
    You can only keep your files. All 3rd party programs will have to be reinstalled.

If acceptable....................
    Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > right side, under Reset this PC, click the Get Start button.

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  9. milford Win User
    What will this do? My tablet originally had Windows 8.0. Then I upgraded to 8.1. Then I got the Windows 10 upgrade. Will I end up back at Windows 8.0?

Don't think I can get into Settings.

milford, Jan 20, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    The Reset option is to roll your system back to the first time Win 10 was installed.
    It does not take you back to Win 8.

Why can't you get to Settings ?
    If you swipe at bottom right, what appears ?

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  11. milford Win User
    Swiping does nothing. Give me an hour. I'll try resetting.

Don't know if I like this. Got Windows 10 back, but lost about 20 apps. All my bookmarks, and Threshhold update.

milford, Jan 20, 2016
  12. milford Win User
    O.K. Should take me a couple of days to install everything. Should be fun. I didn't realize it wiped out my wireless printer. But thats up and running. Thanks for the help.

milford, Jan 21, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Lost my desktop

You are welcome.

That's the downside of Reset................. reinstalling everything.
    I warned you.

At least the system is running normally now. Yes ?

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost my desktop

1. Lost my desktop - Similar Threads - Lost desktop

2. During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my...: During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my local Desktop files and i see the old desktop saved on OneDrive, when i unlink the OneDrive my Desktop folder not showing either on Users/xxxx/Desktop or Users/xxxx/OneDrive/Desktop ,...
  3. During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my...: During reconnect my OneDrive back to my PC and backup the Desktop and Documents i lost my local Desktop files and i see the old desktop saved on OneDrive, when i unlink the OneDrive my Desktop folder not showing either on Users/xxxx/Desktop or Users/xxxx/OneDrive/Desktop ,...
  4. Lost my desktop files.

Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  5. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  6. All my important desktop items and files are lost as I deleted desktop in OneDrive and then...

All my important desktop items and files are lost as I deleted desktop in OneDrive and then...: I have two outlook e-mail addresses. On one I have a subscription of Office 365. Anyway I did not realize and uploaded a bunch of videos and pics from an outdoor camera on Onedrive and I guess they went to the free one and it started giving me message that I went over my...
  7. All my important desktop items and files are lost as I deleted desktop in OneDrive and then...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my important desktop items and files are lost as I deleted desktop in OneDrive and then...: I have two outlook e-mail addresses. On one I have a subscription of Office 365. Anyway I did not realize and uploaded a bunch of videos and pics from an outdoor camera on Onedrive and I guess they went to the free one and it started giving me message that I went over my...
  8. I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.: I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is not available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-to-some-of-my-desktop-folders-it/71028c90-78ab-4c9f-aa6c-a2fbf7253fd6
  9. I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.

I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.: I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is not available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-to-some-of-my-desktop-folders-it/71028c90-78ab-4c9f-aa6c-a2fbf7253fd6
  10. I lost all my Onedrive and Desktop files, HELP!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I lost all my Onedrive and Desktop files, HELP!: My computer was giving me a warning for the storage being too full, and the "Free Up Space" option wasn't being any help, so I opened up Treesize and tried to find something to delete there.I saw that Onedrive was taking up a lot of space, so I went to the Onedrive app and...