Windows 10: Lost my digital license after hardware change

Discus and support Lost my digital license after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had upgraded from Windows 7 for free quite a few years ago. Now I changed the hardware on my computer and Windows refuses to activate itself... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bootzin, Jun 5, 2020.

1. bootzin Win User

Lost my digital license after hardware change

I had upgraded from Windows 7 for free quite a few years ago. Now I changed the hardware on my computer and Windows refuses to activate itself automatically.

I installed windows on the new drive using the windows creation tool, but it didn't work. I also managed to find my old Windows 10 Pro key using a third party software, tried using it to activate, but got the message "The key you entered can't be used in this copy of windows".

Also, when using the troubleshooter option of "I've made some hardware changes on this computer" it doesn't recognize my old computer.

Lastly, I sadly wasn't able to find my Windows 7 key. As I said, there's quite some time since I changed to Windows 10 Pro about 5 years ago, so I don't know what happened to my old CD.

Is there anything I can do to recover this key? I can provide any information necessary for this to work old computer specs, current license key, new computer specs, idk, anything you think might be useful, but I'd rather do it privately. Please help.

:)

bootzin, Jun 5, 2020

2. Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

Hi,

I recently was able to reactivate my Windows 10 digital license on new (only on similar, same type laptop to laptop) hardware, by linking my Microsoft account. I followed the steps mentoned in

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

I find that the old hardware, still has an activated digital license of Windows.

I need to uninstall the digital license from the old hardware, in such a way that it will not activate, on its own, and will not invalidate the digital license on my new hardware, at all.

Please advice me, as I would like to transfer my digital license to my new hardware, completely, and permanently. I require my old hardware to not be having the digital license, at all, and the digital license to be completely deleted from it.

Vikram S Ramani, Jun 5, 2020
  3. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware (motherboard, cpu ram)

Hello,

I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows
    on this device, Try again later.

Prior to changing my hardware I double checked my digital license, The activation said "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If I run 'winver' It also lists the produced is licensed to my Microsoft account.

According to this article below, All I should have to do is goto the activation troubleshooter and everything should work.

Article Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

What are my next steps?

Thanks.

JonathanTC92, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Lost my digital license after hardware change

Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license

Hi,

I bought a digital license in February 2018. After I changed my hardware once, a year ago, i've never managed to reactivate my license on this hardware. Maybe I did something wrong myself. I paid the 280 Swiss Francs for a digital license, because I know
    I change hardware often, I dont understand why it is such a struggle to activate windows again. I dont have the key available, but my order is in my history and in my mail.

Please help me reactivate my license.

with kind regards,

Kees Fluitman

KeesFluitman, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Lost my digital license after hardware change

1. Lost my digital license after hardware change - Similar Threads - Lost digital license

2. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  3. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  4. I lost my digital license after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my digital license after a hardware change.: Hi! I recently change pretty much my whole pc to a new one desktop and I lost my digital license I have it since windows 8 there is any way to get it back? or by force I need to purcharse the windows?...
  5. I lost my digital license after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost my digital license after a hardware change.: Hi! I recently change pretty much my whole pc to a new one desktop and I lost my digital license I have it since windows 8 there is any way to get it back? or by force I need to purcharse the windows?...
  6. unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change: Purchased windows10 pro back in 2016 from MS OneStore. Motherboard failed two days ago and I had to replace it. When trying to activate my license troubleshooter says Error Code 0xC004F213.After calling MS support, I was told I have to call back during "normal business...
  7. How to reactivate with digital license after hardware change

How to reactivate with digital license after hardware change: I built my computer back in 2013 and bought a windows 7 professional license for it. At some point I used the free update to windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 from my old Intel cpu. I followed the walkthrough here...
  8. Windows Digital License after a change of hardware

Windows Digital License after a change of hardware: Hello! Today i built a new PC where i basicly scrapped everything but my old SSD. To make sure i could use the same windows in the new build, i connected my windows license to my new account. Now in the new build i can't activate my windows account. When i troubleshoot the...
  9. Installing a digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a digital license after hardware change: Hi all, I was hoping to double check with the wisdom of the interwebs if my understanding of the re-install process is right before I do something I can't undo. Essentially my PC has become very unstable, with the CPU dying a long painful death (painful for me anyways)....
  10. Installing a digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a digital license after hardware change: Hi all, I was hoping to double check with the wisdom of the interwebs if my understanding of the re-install process is right before I do something I can't undo. Essentially my PC has become very unstable, with the CPU dying a long painful death (painful for me anyways)....