Windows 10: Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error

Discus and support Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 on a Gigabyte motherboard based tower PC. Have the OS on an SSD and I had mapped "My Documents" to an HDD, assigned drive letter D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mssusr9501, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error

Running Windows 10 on a Gigabyte motherboard based tower PC.
    Have the OS on an SSD and I had mapped "My Documents" to an HDD, assigned drive letter D with volume name "Stores".
    The install is about 3 years old

I stupidly disconnected the HDD with assigned drive letter D and swapped in another HDD temporarily.

Now that I have reconnected my original HDD, Windows recognizes the drive and assigns it as D, the Volume name is still "Stores" but none of my original folders in the drive are visible or accessible.

The drive does list these folders:
    Recycle Bin
    found.ooo
    System Volume Information
    Users

the folder found.000 is not accessible.
    "Users" folder contains a folder called OEM_User which is the user account I use but it contains only a couple empty folders.
    Drive shows 32GB used

Is there any way to recover this?
    I don't think my data has been removed or deleted but Windows does not know how to go find it.

What options are available to resolve this?
    I posted this on the Microsoft Win 10 forums a few days ago but have not received many responses. Hoping the Ten forums can help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

mssusr9501, Feb 19, 2019
  2. jenmess Win User

Lost D: drive! Help!

When I updated to Windows 10, I lost my D drive. It's not listed in control panel anywhere. It's not listed in "my computer" anywhere. When I put a CD or DVD in, absolutely nothing happens. How can i get it back?

jenmess, Feb 19, 2019
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error

No permission to save to D:\ drive

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Have you mapped the libraries to the D: drive?
    • Is the issue specific to the subfolder in D: drive?

Try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Creating New File In D: Drive.

1. Go to D: drive > Right-click on an empty space in D: drive > Click on
      New > Click Text Document.
    2. Give a name to the Text Document and save it and check if you get the same error.

If you don't get any error while saving the file in D: drive and you get this error message only while saving a document in D:\charl\Documents, then follow
    Method 2 to take the ownership of Documents folder, else follow
    Method 3

Method 2: Taking Ownership Of A Particular Folder.

1. Click on Start Menu > Search for Command Prompt >
      Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on Run As Administrator.
    2. Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands and hit
      Enter after each command.

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

Note: Replace foldername with the path of the folder.

3. Once the above commands are executed successfully,
    restart the computer once, and check if you are able to save the documents in that folder.

Method 3: Check If You Are The Administrator From Netplwiz.

1. Click on the Start menu > Search for Netplwiz > Hit
      Enter.
    2. Click on your user name and click on Properties.
    3. Go to Group Membership tab and choose Administrator > Click on
      Apply > OK.
    4. Once you change this setting, restart the computer once and check for the issue.

Method 3: Disabling Antivirus.

If you have installed any third-party security software, I suggest you to temporarily disable them, restart the computer once, and check for the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error

1. Lost My Documents on drive D after committing stupid error - Similar Threads - Lost Documents drive

2. Deleted One Drive, but I Lost My D Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted One Drive, but I Lost My D Drive: When I deleted my One Drive, I now get a message that my D:\Desktop is unavailable. How can I get my D:\Desktop back? I can't move my photos or documents anywhere and I can move things to or from my flashdrive. I tried the disk management, but when I can't find the missing D...
  3. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  4. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  5. i lost my d drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i lost my d drive: my laptop come with a C: and D: but when i shutdown my pc my D: was missing pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-d-drive/b2aa63e0-8424-418c-980a-80a54c5d98bf
  6. d drive was lost

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    d drive was lost: hi, so the intel want me to create volume so I did then I check my D drive was lost, it has this blue question mark and it cant open. I run the disk management and the 'unallocated' was no there which is the D drive the black line was none to be found and when I check using...
  7. D Drive Lost

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D Drive Lost: My PC has two drives typically, an SSD and an HDD. Though my SSD and OS remain intact, I can't access my HDD. A scan of all disks shows no sign of it, it's disappeared from my file explorer, and third party programs fail to find any trace of it. I've even tried resetting...
  8. Lost D:\ Drive after recent windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost D:\ Drive after recent windows update: Hi, my computer updated over the weekend to the latest version of Windows 10. However, my D:\ has now gone which stores all of my photographs of my daughter etc. Having carried out System Restore first, with no luck of restoring the D Drive, the current version of Windows is...
  9. Lost folders in drive D after stupid error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost folders in drive D after stupid error: Running Windows 10 on a Gigabyte motherboard based tower PC. Have OS on an SSD and I had mapped "My Documents" to an HDD assigned drive letter D with volume name "Stores". I stupidly disconnected the HDD with assigned drive letter D and swapped in another HDD temporarily....
  10. lost D drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    lost D drive: I have an Acer Aspire U27-880 , all in one desktop computer utilising operating system windows 10 home edition 64 bit. yesterday I ran a program called 'intel (R) rapid storage'. After turning computer off the on, I found my D drive had disappeared. there is no record of it...