Windows 10: Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update

Discus and support Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My computer automatically updated Windows and after the restart I found my files, settings and apps gone. Can you help me recover everything please? I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jimena Ortiz de Z, May 13, 2020.

1. Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update

My computer automatically updated Windows and after the restart I found my files, settings and apps gone. Can you help me recover everything please? I would like my user to be the way it was before the update.

:)

Jimena Ortiz de Z, May 13, 2020
  2. ZainZakie Win User

lost my files,settings and apps by automatic update

Hi friends, i was using Windows 10 Enterprise . And from automatic update, i lost my most important files . But , i have now recovered them . Now, the problem is that only two apps i.e. Cortana and Microsoft Edge are coming . And i can't find store,outlook,news and other apps etc . Please tell me how can i find those apps . Help me please .

Here is Screenshot .

Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update [​IMG]

P.S : Sorry for my Grammar Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update :)

ZainZakie, May 13, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 13, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update

Files lost, Internet explorer not reachable, error Ox800703f1

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue in finding the lost files. Let me assist you.

To narrow down the troubleshooting steps, kindly write back to us with the following information.

• Did you make any prior changes before this error occurred?
    • What is the error message you are getting when you try to open Internet Explorer?
    • Have you updated the Windows to the latest build?
    • Check whether the original account exists. (Use the below steps to check)
    • Press Windows key + R key, type netplwiz and press
      Enter key.
    • Check if the user account exits under Users for this computer.
    I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update the Windows to the latest build.

• On the search bar type Settings.
    • Click on Update and Security.
    • Click on Check for Updates.
    • Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.
    Method 2: To find lost files.

Follow the link below to find lost files and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/Find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-Windows-10

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update

1. Lost my files, settings and apps with a Windows Update - Similar Threads - Lost files settings

2. Windows 11 Lost My Last Default Apps Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Lost My Last Default Apps Settings: Everytime restart my computer windows 11 lost my defaultp apps settings. When i start application i see "set x application as default" warning. I set applications as default but next opening i see same warning. I could not find any solution about that problem. Is there...
  3. Windows 11 Lost My Last Default Apps Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Lost My Last Default Apps Settings: Everytime restart my computer windows 11 lost my defaultp apps settings. When i start application i see "set x application as default" warning. I set applications as default but next opening i see same warning. I could not find any solution about that problem. Is there...
  4. Lost settings and files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost settings and files: After rebooting, my monitor resets to microsoft default settings and my pictures and document folders are empty. This started after the new Micrsoft Edge loaded. I have reset everything several times and every time I reboot, I lose everything....
  5. Lost files and apps when Edge was updated.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost files and apps when Edge was updated.: There was an automatic update on my Edge 2 days ago, at night while sleeping, when I got up in the morning and turned on my laptop is when I saw it was done. It had info about the new Edge etc. well when I went through a couple screens and turned those off, I see my desktop...
  6. Lost files and apps

Lost files and apps: I do not speak computereze . I updated my PC and lost the ability to access and edit any word docs. Notice says I have to purchase window office to gain access. I also lost some apps the most important of which was Legacy. Legacy has my family tree info I added for the past...
  7. Updated my laptop and lost my settings

Updated my laptop and lost my settings: At the beging of this month I did scheduled update on lap top, and in doing lost my word settings, my laptop was purchased 2011, I have a key code that microsoft no long validate, I want my setting back, they have previously been paid for...
  8. windows update lost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows update lost files: My compute made some kind of windows update last night - unbeknownst to me - and my desktop files are GONE. Can't find them anywhere. Why would Microsoft update my Windows without notice????????...
  9. lost my files,settings and apps by automatic update

in Windows 10 Support
    lost my files,settings and apps by automatic update: Hi friends, i was using Windows 10 Enterprise . And from automatic update, i lost my most important files . But , i have now recovered them . Now, the problem is that only two apps i.e. Cortana and Microsoft Edge are coming . And i can't find store,outlook,news and other apps...
  10. Apps and settings lost

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps and settings lost: Hi. Im new to this forum and thanks for the membership My PC got windows 10in february this year and has worked great until now Some days ago settings went back to default and changes like the quick launch disappeared. Many of the included apps like calculator is not...