Windows 10: Lost my game capture folder.

Discus and support Lost my game capture folder. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently upgraded to latest release of windows 10, everything went smooth but I'm having one problem with the built in dvr, for some reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by swanseajack, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Lost my game capture folder.

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to latest release of windows 10, everything went smooth but I'm having one problem with the built in dvr, for some reason its saving captures to a temp folder and not the default location. When I open the game bar it lets me record and capture shots but when you click on view my captures it just says there is a problem getting your captures right now, try again in a while.

In the temp folder there is no captures folder, or one in the default location of my videos.

Any idea how to restore this, is there a way to reset the game dvr function back to default settings?

Cheers.

SJ.

:)

swanseajack, Jun 19, 2019

2. Captures folder gone and I can't record games

Thanks for the response. Let's further isolate this concern, by trying to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings.

How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.
    • Click on Game DVR on the left side, and click/tap on the Open folder button on the right side to open your Captures folder at its current location.

Note: If you want, you could also open the Xbox app, click/tap on the Settings (gear) button on the left menu, click/tap on the Game DVR tab, and click/tap on the Open folder link under Saving captures to open your Captures folder at its current location.
    • Right click or press and hold on an empty space in your Captures folder, and click/tap on Properties.
    • Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Restore Default button.
    • Click/tap on OK.
    • If the "Captures" folder does not exist, then click/tap on Yes to create it.
    • Click/tap on Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location.
    • After a brief moment, your Captures folder will be restored to its default location.

Let us know how it goes.

Wilfred Mac, Jun 19, 2019
  3. Adjust capture settings on Windows 10 (Change capture Folder location)

Hi Hussein,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. As you have selected root of a drive (D Lost my game capture folder. :) while changing the captures folder location and not created and selected a folder for the same. Hence, you are facing the issue. However, could you please let us know the exact
    error message you are getting while changing to default location.

I would also suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if you can restore default settings.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR (on the left pane).
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select
      Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Restore Default.
    6. Click on Apply > OK >
      Yes
    7. If you still facing the issue, please try by opening
      Xbox app.
    8. Click on Settings > Game DVR.
    9. Click on Open folder under
      Saving captures
      and perform step 4, 5,

If you are able to restore default settings successfully, please follow the steps mentioned below to change Captures folder location.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR.
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Move.
    6. Browse to the new location that you prefer.
    7. Click on New folder and create a folder.
    8. Highlight same folder using left click and click on
      Select Folder.
    9. Then click on Apply > OK >
      Yes.

You may also want to refer
    Adjust capture settings on Windows 10
    for more details.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Lost my game capture folder.

Changed location of captured video

Hi,

If you can no longer see the location option on the capture folder, you may restore your Game DVR Captures folder location settings. After restoring the game DVR Captures folder location settings, then you can change your Game DVR Captures folder location
    again. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

How to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings

• Open File Explorer.
    • Browse to the Captures folder location.
    • Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.
    • Click the Location tab.
    • Click the Restore Defaults button.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes to recreate the folder in the old location.
    • Click Yes to move the content of the Captures folder to the old location, and wait a few moments.
    • Click OK.

Note: After you've completed the steps, the Captures folder will return with all its content to its default location: C:\Users\%username%\Videos\Captures.

After performing the steps above, try to change the location of your captured video.

Kindly update us with the results.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Wilfred Mac, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

Lost my game capture folder.

1. Lost my game capture folder. - Similar Threads - Lost game capture

2. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change my game bar captures folder: Upgraded a hard drive, turns out my captures folder was on said hard drive. Now when I look at the gallery in the game bar it says there's a problem viewing captures, I need to set a new folder, but there appears to be no way to do that... ridiculous!I tried...
  3. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change my game bar captures folder: Upgraded a hard drive, turns out my captures folder was on said hard drive. Now when I look at the gallery in the game bar it says there's a problem viewing captures, I need to set a new folder, but there appears to be no way to do that... ridiculous!I tried...
  4. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My game captures folder is stuck as the temp folder on PC

My game captures folder is stuck as the temp folder on PC: How do I change this from the windows 10 temp folder to something else.Eg. it is stuck in this folder and I cant move it to change the locationC:\Users\[id]\AppData\Local\Temp...
  6. My game captures folder is stuck as the temp folder on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My game captures folder is stuck as the temp folder on PC: How do I change this from the windows 10 temp folder to something else.Eg. it is stuck in this folder and I cant move it to change the locationC:\Users\[id]\AppData\Local\Temp...
  7. Game bar screen capture didn't save in Capture folder/ lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game bar screen capture didn't save in Capture folder/ lost: I recorded a meeting using the Gamebar screen capture and it should have been saved automatically to the capture folder. However, the most important clip is nowhere to be found while other clips I recorded after it missing clip were there. I'm sure that I saw it 'saved'....
  8. Game bar screen capture didn't save in Capture folder/ lost

Game bar screen capture didn't save in Capture folder/ lost: I recorded a meeting using the Gamebar screen capture and it should have been saved automatically to the capture folder. However, the most important clip is nowhere to be found while other clips I recorded after it missing clip were there. I'm sure that I saw it 'saved'....
  9. Problem with my captures folder no longer existing, and game captures no longer showing up...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with my captures folder no longer existing, and game captures no longer showing up...: I wanted to move my Game Capture Folder to my ssd, and after doing so, now when i record a game clip the clip just goes to my video folder on my hdd. not only this but the capture folder does not exist at all and on top of the video does not show up in the game bar capture...
  10. Lost my game capture folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost my game capture folder.: Hi, I've recently upgraded to latest release of windows 10, everything went smooth but I'm having one problem with the built in dvr, for some reason its saving captures to a temp folder and not the default location. When I open the game bar it lets me record and capture...