Windows 10: Lost my ISO, got virus/malware (I think) cant reload anything

Discus and support Lost my ISO, got virus/malware (I think) cant reload anything in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A very long story that I will try to shorten up, but I think I'm screwed. Have 2016 HP notebook 15 w/win 10 ISO. warranty expired, while using it on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TomWtsn, Dec 12, 2019.

1. TomWtsn Win User

Lost my ISO, got virus/malware (I think) cant reload anything

A very long story that I will try to shorten up, but I think I'm screwed.

Have 2016 HP notebook 15 w/win 10 ISO. warranty expired, while using it on my armchair I knocked it to the floor and it stopped working.

Took notebook to my local computer repair guy, said HDD needed to be replaced, I said OK.

He asked what version of windows I was using and I told him 10 home edition 64 bit.

I pick up laptop, get home, start it, windows 8.1 pro is running, I call and ask about win 10 he says 8.1P was all he had but I can upgrade it myself.

continue to use it for a few weeks and its running very slow and will no longer update. Call computer guy back, no return call, go to his store and its closed up, sign gone no forwarding address.

Leave the laptop sitting on my shelf for a few months, disgusted, use the desktop I'm on now in the interim. Fast forward to last week.

Look at Microsoft site and I can get the Win 10 home 64 ISO, just need to buy a key. I'm not computer savvy so I enlist a buddy who tinkers with computers ( I guess we all have that guy). I have the notebook charged up and he has a look and says we should make sure all the updates are downloaded before we install the win 10 iso. I tell him that updates stopped working long ago, he continues to try no luck, then he says we should do a system restore and see if the updates will download, so he does this and the computer runs for quite some time and then a screen pops up asking for the product activation key, which I never had. So he says lets try and download the win 10 ISO which he had already downloaded onto a USB drive, and I had the purchased product key already. He loads the win 10 ISO until a screen comes up asking for the key, he enters it and we get a reply that the key code was correct and installing seems to start again for about 5 seconds, then the screen blinks and everything stops.

Buddy figures it was because win 8.1P was technically no longer activated after it was system restored, so I'm going to have to buy another key for 8.1 which I had technically already paid for, buddy says don't worry I can get a key online to get it activated so we can finish with win 10 install. He comes to my desktop and downloads something onto a USB drive and sticks it in the laptop, screen comes up saying Adobe Flash player is out of date must download new version to continue, he clicks download and the computer is working away and when complete, my screen looks completely different, and Windows explorer has been replaced with Yahoo, and there are several more new programs on the computer one of them lets you browse the internet without being seen, another was a spyware tool, etc. He try's to remove this stuff without any luck, he try's several more things, no luck. He goes home and comes back with a bootable disc of Kaspersky, wont load, notice comes up something like image cannot load. He goes into the BIOS to try and format the HDD, selections available will not let him select "format", cursor jumps over it. Goes home comes back with bootable mini tool disc, it boots but will not reformat the drive. He's clearly frustrated and I tell him to leave it, he says he will take it home and look at it later.

Next day he comes back and says he deleted the win 8.1P ISO and we should try to install the win 10 ISO. He loads it and it starts, asks for the key which he puts in and then a screen comes up to say keep apps or do clean install and save nothing, he selects clean install, it starts to work for a few seconds and stops again says my computer needs the original factory media which I don't have. I don't want to continue spending money on this laptop, any idea of what I should do? Or am I screwed, laptop goes into the junk pile. Is there some type of cleaner that will purge the HDD I can use that might work in spite of all the information already provided?

:)

TomWtsn, Dec 12, 2019
  2. Mel Tar Win User

Rooted Malware, Virus, and Trojan Infection, Keylogger Trojan Malware

Hi,

Please click the link below and follow Stephen Boots' suggestion on how to remove Trojan virus on your computer:

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mel Tar, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Is it a Virus or a Malware or something else?

Hello Joes,

There's a possibility that your device is infected with a malware causing why you're unable to delete the game on your laptop. In order for us to assist you better, we'd like to ask the following:

• Aside from formatting the hard drive, what other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you asked your friend where did he download the games?

To identify if your computer is infected with a virus or malware, we recommend downloading and running
    Microsoft Safety Scanner. The scanner can easily detect if there's any virus found on your device. To do so, follow the steps on this
    link.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ernie San, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Shnxxx Win User

[HELP] I think I'm infected with UNKNOWN malware/virus

I just have some few questions.

• So I need to back up all my files in other partition because I should delete all partitions and make it as one?
    • Is it good if I back them up on a cloud so I can assure that there will be no virus? (If you guys know some free and good cloud services what is it? I prefer huge capacity cloud *Biggrin )
    • Does my pre-installed Norton will be retrieved? because this is PC is bundled with licensed norton.
    • And lastly, what if the installation asks for Product license key? I bought this PC in a huge flat box package with charge inside some manuals with free bag, and I don't seem to see a license key of it. They said it is already a lifetime license. :3

Shnxxx, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Lost my ISO, got virus/malware (I think) cant reload anything - Similar Threads - Lost ISO got

2. I think i got a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think i got a virus: Theres this unknow app called " Galilo " that keeps running in my background, i keep closing it but when im too late it freezes my computer and makes it very slow, i cant find this file either to remove it.I scanned my pc multiple times for virusses but it doesnt seem to be...
  3. I think i got a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think i got a virus: Theres this unknow app called " Galilo " that keeps running in my background, i keep closing it but when im too late it freezes my computer and makes it very slow, i cant find this file either to remove it.I scanned my pc multiple times for virusses but it doesnt seem to be...
  4. My PC got an error but I don't think it's a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC got an error but I don't think it's a virus: Hi,I was using my pc normally then it got an error: first, there is a big noisy sound and the screen appear like a no signal tv but my monitor is normally.I tried CtrlAltDel CtrlShiftEsc but nothing works so i forced shutdown, wait a bit, then i turned it back on but nothing...
  5. My PC got an error but I don't think it's a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC got an error but I don't think it's a virus: Hi,I was using my pc normally then it got an error: first, there is a big noisy sound and the screen appear like a no signal tv but my monitor is normally.I tried CtrlAltDel CtrlShiftEsc but nothing works so i forced shutdown, wait a bit, then i turned it back on but nothing...
  6. My PC got an error but I don't think it's a virus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. I Think I Got A Virus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I Think I Got A Virus?: I was scrolling through articles on the 'My Feed' tab and I saw an ad with a title that was interesting, and somehow caught my attention. I clicked on it, and read only a page. When I clicked the arrow to get to the second page, a pop up ad showed up. I knew not to trust it...
  8. I think my windows 10 got the virus!!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I think my windows 10 got the virus!!!: I am scared that my windows 10 got the Coronavirus, and I am very worried!!!!!! I heard from a friend that they evolved to infect computers too, and I don't want to catch the virus! My windows 10 has a fever of over 100 Fahrenheit, and it keeps emailing enlargement pills!!!...
  9. Help i think I got a virus

Help i think I got a virus: Help i think I have a virus on Xbox one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/help-i-think-i-got-a-virus/0753b5e8-d0a3-4a79-acc7-957d776be86f
  10. HELLLPPPPP!!!!! I think i got a virus!

HELLLPPPPP!!!!! I think i got a virus!: I am very nervous right now! I just got a random application on my task bar and now my firewall turned off and I cant turn it back on. the random application was called smartbytetelementary. Please help me I am desperate right now!...