Windows 10: lost my paint app and word doc app.

Discus and support lost my paint app and word doc app. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use paint and word doc a lot, had them pinned to task bar, one day open computer and they were gone, i had been doing windows update a lot the past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lorihaley, Feb 20, 2021.

1. lorihaley Win User

lost my paint app and word doc app.

I use paint and word doc a lot, had them pinned to task bar, one day open computer and they were gone, i had been doing windows update a lot the past two weeks, but i look and searched and even tried to re down load them, and still unable to get them back, please help me get those two apps back, i use them all the time. thanks

:)

lorihaley, Feb 20, 2021

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Feb 20, 2021
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

lost my paint app and word doc app. [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Feb 20, 2021
  4. lost my paint app and word doc app.

Paint 3D app problem

Hi Laura, my name is Max and I'm an independent advisor.

I suggest you should repair your Paint 3D app

Firstly, try to reset this app. Follow the steps below:

1). Click on 'Windows key + I' together and open 'Settings'

2). Tap on Apps - Apps & features - Paint 3D - Advanced options

3). Tap on 'Reset'

Next, uninstall and reinstall Paint 3D app. Follow the steps below:

1). Click on the Start button

2). Type in 'Windows PowerShell' - right click on it - choose 'Run as administrator'.

3). Copy / paste the command below without quotes.

'Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MSPaint | Remove-AppxPackage'

4). Click on Enter

5). Go to the Microsoft Store to download and reinstall the Paint 3D app.

NighthawkX, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

lost my paint app and word doc app.

1. lost my paint app and word doc app. - Similar Threads - lost paint app

2. paint app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    paint app: Hello.Recently i have installed windows 11.I noticed that paint app isnot working.I open it but it freezes ana after a few seconds close.I can't edi a file or copy paste a screenshot with alt +prtscreen key...
  3. paint app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    paint app: Hello.Recently i have installed windows 11.I noticed that paint app isnot working.I open it but it freezes ana after a few seconds close.I can't edi a file or copy paste a screenshot with alt +prtscreen key...
  4. Paint app

Paint app: SKEW command cobbled. I'm using Windows 10 and Office 365. The SKEW command is supposed to skew an object horizontally left or right and vertically up and down. Skewing right is accomplished by entering a positive number in the "horizontal" field. Skewing left used to happen...
  5. Word docs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word docs: all my docs have changed to wordpad - i need word - how do i change them all back to word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/14b35def-7d81-4b36-a574-49820a43b449
  6. how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions: how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions I tried settings, default apps by file type but the only options are Word 2016 and Look for an app in the store. Word 2010 is already installed on my computer so how to set it as default...
  7. word docs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word docs: I just renewed my $99 subscription, and yet I still can NOT access my MSWord docs to edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/4c72539b-d66b-48de-afbc-94febd147180
  8. Lost Word Doc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Word Doc: I think I just deleted my address book from Word 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-word-doc/a0657285-f937-4b2c-98f8-1bc8b30fc70b"
  9. Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?

Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?: How do I convert a text doc into a word doc? Thanks- LB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/converting-a-txt-doc-into-a-word-doc/d8192142-066d-49d9-b2ee-c5098ea28b03
  10. lost unsaved word doc

in Windows 10 Support
    lost unsaved word doc: I left an unsaved word 2016 doc open last night and this morning it was gone. It's not coming up under the manage document/recover unsaved documents approach. is there anything else I can try? 33237