Windows 10: Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any...

Discus and support Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 4 days ago I had to replace a faulty motherboard, after replacing and upgrading some part I had to reinstall the windows which caused me to lose my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by paveljevsejcik, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any...

4 days ago I had to replace a faulty motherboard, after replacing and upgrading some part I had to reinstall the windows which caused me to lose my licensed windows. Even while installing the windows when it asks you to log into your microsoft account, It didnt let me and kept telling me the credentials were wrong, yes I was connected to the internet, and yes the credentials were right.

When I got past the initial setup I could login with my microsoft account in the settings, after running the troubleshooter and googling all over the place I couldnt find a way to restore my license. I joined the insider program very early on and upgraded from my Windows 7 ultimate copy to Windows 10 pro.

It worked great for years, I upgraded my pc once and it wouldnt let me activate so I contacted live support which fixed it, they manually put in a key while being in control of my pc remotely.

Not only that but also now everytime windows decides its time to check if my windows is activated an event keeps reconnecting me to the internet, causing things to restart and disconnect. I will attach a screenshot of how frequent it is and If you do anything where you need an even remotely stable connection, good luck.

So I either need a way to get my license back which I dont have a product key for or record of purchase or anything like that. I thought microsoft kept records somehow of the activated windows licenses because last time a person was able to find it very easily. Now they are telling me there are no records of my purchase.

https://prnt.sc/otm5u4 Screenshot of how often it decides to check my windows license and reconnects my ethernet.

:)

paveljevsejcik, Aug 16, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 16, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any... [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Aug 16, 2019
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any...

Replaced CMOS battery Lost Win 10

In that case you are suggested to follow post #6.

Thema:

Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any...

1. Lost my windows license after replacing faulty Hardware. I was unable to restore it in any... - Similar Threads - Lost license replacing

2. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware replacement: Following a hardware change required to upgrade to Windows 11, I am being prompted to activate Windows but I'm unable to reactivate it. I raised a support ticket but whenever I try to get through the agents are hanging up! Not helpful at all.I'm given the following error...
  3. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware replacement: Following a hardware change required to upgrade to Windows 11, I am being prompted to activate Windows but I'm unable to reactivate it. I raised a support ticket but whenever I try to get through the agents are hanging up! Not helpful at all.I'm given the following error...
  4. Unable to activate windows digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows digital license after hardware change: Before changing my Motherboard and CPU for newer models I made sure to check that my Microsoft account was linked to my digital license of Windows 10 Home Edition, which it was, then after installing the new Motherboard and CPU I signed in with the same Microsoft account...
  5. I lost my windows license.

I lost my windows license.: So I was having trouble and none of Microsoft recommendations were working so I decided to completely reset my desktop, but when I booted it back up I had no windows 10 license and Microsoft wants me to buy it again, Can anyone help me?...
  6. I lost my windows license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my windows license.: So I was having trouble and none of Microsoft recommendations were working so I decided to completely reset my desktop, but when I booted it back up I had no windows 10 license and Microsoft wants me to buy it again, Can anyone help me?...
  7. BSOD FAULTY HARDWARE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD FAULTY HARDWARE: Hi all, i have a minidump of a recent crash here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgTCubrZ_eFZ7HHiEZVFLtXZ33un?e=wrtDeWThis happens semi regularly. I have tried and regularly do booting in safe mode, running all the standard tests etc. but a month later, it happens again. I have never had...
  8. I lost my digital license after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my digital license after a hardware change.: Hi! I recently change pretty much my whole pc to a new one desktop and I lost my digital license I have it since windows 8 there is any way to get it back? or by force I need to purcharse the windows?...
  9. I lost my digital license after a hardware change.

I lost my digital license after a hardware change.: Hi! I recently change pretty much my whole pc to a new one desktop and I lost my digital license I have it since windows 8 there is any way to get it back? or by force I need to purcharse the windows?...
  10. Lost my digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost my digital license after hardware change: I had upgraded from Windows 7 for free quite a few years ago. Now I changed the hardware on my computer and Windows refuses to activate itself automatically. I installed windows on the new drive using the windows creation tool, but it didn't work. I also managed to find my...