Windows 10: Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?)

Discus and support Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1198; 500GB M.2 SSD & 1TB HDD Howdy Folks *Smile After an unexpected reboot, a look at my Event Viewer led me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jdUnionngarden, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?)

Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1198; 500GB M.2 SSD & 1TB HDD

Howdy Folks *Smile

After an unexpected reboot, a look at my Event Viewer led me to check my disks and noticed my Primary SSD now has only 4 partitions; previously I also had an Unformatted 128.0 MB partition which I confirmed with a look at my last Macrium Definition File [which I ran before installing monthly update KB4586786 on Nov 24th (may or may not be related to this issue)].
    See attached (2)

All thoughts, suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.
    *Cool

:)

jdUnionngarden, Dec 3, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Partitioning an SSD

Before I get to your questions, I would like to suggest that you make primary partitions, instead of logicals. The locations of primary partitions are entered into the partition table, whereas logical partitions are really a hack. The practical difference
    manifests in the event that the logical structure of your hard drive becomes corrupted. It will be easy for partition repair software to locate the starting point of the primary partitions, in order to recover your data, but much more difficult and perhaps
    impossible to locate the beginnings of your logical drives.

With that said ...

1- Is it okay to partition a SSD? Yes! And it's a good idea, for all the reasons you stated.

2- Would it affect access time? No, it would not, because SSDs don't have actuator arms that move read/write heads into position. Instead, data is read and written at the speed of electricity.

3- You should create a primary partition, as described above. Primary partitions increase the chances of successfully recovering your data.

BulldogXX, Dec 3, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?)

How do I change system partition to primary over DISKPART?

I have installed Windows 10 on SSD I did the Diskpart thing Sarah told me ,and then in windows 10 installation I deleted partition SSD had and created a new one and it was primary partition, but now it really worries me that I don't have system or recovery
    partition like I always used to have, I only have one large primary partition,

Can Windows work like this ?

УрошВидаковић, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?)

1. Lost Partition on Primary SSD (Need I worry?) - Similar Threads - Lost Partition Primary

2. Lost partition - Need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost partition - Need help: Hello good people,I did a fresh Windows 11 installation and now I have a problem where my SSD is devided into 4 partitions but only 2 are in use.I was looking on Google for solution, but everything I found was connected to EaseUS program and they want me to pay for a plan...
  3. Lost partition - Need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost partition - Need help: Hello good people,I did a fresh Windows 11 installation and now I have a problem where my SSD is devided into 4 partitions but only 2 are in use.I was looking on Google for solution, but everything I found was connected to EaseUS program and they want me to pay for a plan...
  4. deleting primary partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleting primary partition: is it okay if i delete the healthy primary partition?931gb i need more space but im scared my pc wont boot if i delete it help pls thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-primary-partition/fadbe3b4-8c55-4c12-8bad-32a7db253aa8
  5. Do I need to worry?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to worry?: My computer is still running Windows 10 32 bit. Do I need to worry about update from Microsoft and end of life now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-worry/b30a3cfc-b893-42cc-b181-3785f2353f2b
  6. Unused SSD as Primary Partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unused SSD as Primary Partition in Disk Management: Hello, I am a new Windows 10 Home user and I am having trouble with managing my disks. I am not experienced at all, so I apologize in advance for all the nonsense I might type. I just found out that I have a SSD, by running "Get-PhysicalDisk" in PowerShell, as shown in the...
  7. Extending Primary Partition

Extending Primary Partition: Hi. I noticed my recovery partition was eating up a good 24 GB of my SSD, so I deleted it in Disk Management. However, the Extend Volume option on the primary partition is greyed out, so I am still unable to access the unallocated 24 GB. What must I do to as these 24 GB to my...
  8. Main M2 SSD is not Primary Partition in Disk Management

Main M2 SSD is not Primary Partition in Disk Management: Just as title says. Just checking my system for other reasons, and I noticed this.My main "C" M2 SSD, is not "blue" in disk management, the colour for Primary Partition. It's in green, as "Simple Volume". Sorry if this isn't the proper term in english, but I have my OS in...
  9. Main M2 SSD is not Primary Partition in Disk Management

Main M2 SSD is not Primary Partition in Disk Management: Just as title says. Just checking my system for other reasons, and I noticed this. My main "C" M2 SSD, is not "blue" in disk management, the colour for Primary Partition. It's in green, as "Simple Volume". Sorry if this isn't the proper term in english, but I have my OS in...
  10. urgent help needed- lost partition

urgent help needed- lost partition: Hi there I really need some help THe scenario: I was using windows 7 and had HDD partitioned C for windows D for data and files I went to install windows 10 and couldnt initially, so when it asked to install on drive i formatted and that didnt help, I then deleted the...