Windows 10: lost partition

Discus and support lost partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This has happened twice now and I'm very confused. I have a HDD and have partitions- "C" and "F" The "F" partition is what I'm having problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElliotClark, Oct 4, 2019.

1. lost partition

This has happened twice now and I'm very confused.

I have a HDD and have partitions- "C" and "F"

The "F" partition is what I'm having problems with. A few months ago I got a windows update and as a normal person I just updated this over night (This was a large update, not too sure what version) anyhow as I logged on the following morning I noticed that that shortcut for partition "F" had a large "?" printed on the shortcut and I wasn't able to open it as it said it didn't exits (Bare in mind I had 80gb of stuff on this partition) and I had known that I lost just about everything on that drive as I tried drive recovery software's and looked on various tutorials on YouTube and non helped me.

I have looked on disk management and it shows this image:

lost partition b44e0677-29a9-47ac-bd0b-32b0cff9272d?upload=true.png

Also the shortcut also appears to look like this:

lost partition 2f72d5f8-74a9-4286-b1b4-61cef0821d07?upload=true.png

The "97.66 Gb" file should be my "F" partition and should say "unallocated" instead of "free space" but clearly shows that is has been fully erased and I'm not sure why it has done this. Anyway I accepted this as some kind of corruption or bug and I just let it slide and re-made the "F" drive and started filling it again...

Since just last night I downloaded an update and I'm not sure what kind of update it was again but it was a large one and took me overnight to do as I logged on this morning, the "F" drive has been erased again!!!! not as mad this time as I barely filled it with non important stuff.

Can someone explain how to fix this or prevent it from happening again. Thank you.

:)

ElliotClark, Oct 4, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Lost recovery partition

Hi Mike

I´m an Independant Advisor

While I´m reading the information you probably by mistake erase your main partition instead of the external drive.

This happened to me, and when I get noticed of this It was too late.

I tried to recover information of this drive, with some program that supose to recover info in this cases.

I put some step to do before use a recover partition software

" How to recover deleted partition using cmd?

In some cases, we can undo Diskpart clean command in order to undelete partition. But, this method does not work on all partition loss issue. If this method cannot get back your lost partition, you should go to Method 2 and Method 3 to recover data.

Step 1 Open Disk Management to view which partition is lost.

You can access Disk Management by right-clicking Start menu and click Disk Management. If a partition is deleted, the disk space will be marked as Unallocated. Remember the partition size.

Step 2 Open Command Prompt as administration and type Diskpart in the window and press Enter key.

Step 3 Type command list disk and press Enter key so that you can see all storage devices on the computer.

Step 4 Type command select disk # and press Enter. Replace # with the number of the hard drive that needs recovering lost partition.

Step 5 Type assign letter=G and press Enter (G is a drive letter chosen randomly).

Step 6 Close Command Prompt when you see "Diskpart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point".

Note: if you are not familiar with diskpart commands, do not try any commands without fully knowing its function. Some commands such as "clean" delete all partitions and data on selected disk.

If the problem continue please try with the next link that may help you to recover your lost partition.

http://www.eassos.com/how-to/how-to-recover-del...

I hope this can help you. Warning The software that you can download is free but it is limited until you pay for it

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it

Let me know if this help you

Saludos

Rolando Rosales, Oct 4, 2019
  4. RyoTakagi Win User

lost partition

Lost recovery partition

Hello, I see that you are having issues with recovery partition. I would suggest you using the diskpart command in the command prompt. First, open up the comand prompt as an administrator, then type in diskpart. Now, type in list disk, and look for the
    recovery partition drive. Follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-fo...

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions! lost partition :)

RyoTakagi, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

lost partition

1. lost partition - Similar Threads - lost partition

2. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  3. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  4. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  5. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  6. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. drive partitions is lost

drive partitions is lost: Hi there,Before, i'm having problem with windows update error 0x80070643. and followed the instruction that available in the communityhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-0x80070643-in-windows-10-when/c55ecc7a-6d54-47b4-a86a-a4a55f2636e0...
  8. Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data: I've been frustrated with the broken windows update, so I decided to try following the guide "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update".I followed the instructions and it turned my back up SSD and all my files into some recovery...
  9. Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data

Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data: I've been frustrated with the broken windows update, so I decided to try following the guide "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update".I followed the instructions and it turned my back up SSD and all my files into some recovery...
  10. Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to recover lost partition windows 10