Windows 10: Lost Partitions and RAW files

Discus and support Lost Partitions and RAW files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Essentially, I accidentally deleted a bunch of random things from my computer, and had to get recovery software to get it back. The software organized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LilyMagoon, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Lost Partitions and RAW files

Essentially, I accidentally deleted a bunch of random things from my computer, and had to get recovery software to get it back. The software organized the files into a Partitions folder and a RAW folder. When I attempted to open some of the recovered files word and MP4 they wouldn't work. I assumed this was because the partitions and RAW folders are just on my desktop instead of in my local disk. I have no idea where to put the files or how to get them there, and I was wondering if anyone knew how I can fix this?

:)

LilyMagoon, Aug 8, 2020
  2. TrTmaster Win User

Raw Partitions

Hi Everyone!

A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW.

What is a RAW Partition?

In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as RAW. In this case, Windows was unable to recognize the filesystem type. Lets say your Windows partition filesystem gets corrupted badly. Windows would mark
    it as RAW. So, in short, a RAW partition is
    not a filesystem, but an error of the partition.

What happens if you have a RAW partition?

It depends. If your primary partition is RAW, Windows will not boot. Period. If an external storage device or other partition is RAW, Windows will ask you to format it. You will not be able to get any data off of this partition.

Is this error fixable?

It seems like it also depends. If your partition's filesystem got really messed up, then no. This will happen:

> The type of this file system is RAW.

> CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

However, I have seen reports of people fixing a RAW partition. This is what happened:

> The type of this file system is NTFS

> The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

A little suprising, but this is good. It means that your partition is fixable. The first sector is what caused the RAW error.
    p.s. I used chkdsk to get these errors

How do you fix this error.

First off, you will probably need a Windows Installer device.

If you can get to a command line, skip this part.

Boot from the installer.

Set your keyboard, mouse, etc. Click next.

Click Repair your Computer (bottom-left corner)

Click Advanced Options (or similar)

Now, first, try and use Startup Repair. If Startup Repair works, great! If Startup Repair fails, keep reading.

Open a command line.

Run the following commands in order:

> diskpart

> list volume

This will show you the RAW partition, and what letter it is.

> exit

> chkdsk /r /f D:

Replace D: with the letter from Diskpart.

You should get some errors at the beginning (first sector corrupt). Don't worry, it is actually fixing the second sector!

If that doesn't work, then you are in trouble, and should just reinstall Windows. Sorry

I hope this tutorial was useful. And also, please leave comments if you have another method that worked for you. Thank you!

TrTmaster, Aug 8, 2020
  3. tf2029 Win User
    How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Lost Partitions and RAW files

Recover data from a RAW partition

I think you should mention that which file system you used. As per of my experience I suggest you Remo Recover utility to recover data from old hard drive. I think it will be helpful for you.

RonaldMethew, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Lost Partitions and RAW files

1. Lost Partitions and RAW files - Similar Threads - Lost Partitions RAW

2. raw and ntfs partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  3. raw partition not formatting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    raw partition not formatting: i had an ransomeware attack it locked all my files . so i decided to install new window . when i tried to format or delete my hdd partition 2 the bsod appear and my partition became raw . the bsod showed kmode exception not handled plssssssss help as soonn as possible...
  4. File RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File RAW: Mi si dice che nel PC c'è una raccolta di file RAW, ma io finora non l'ho trovata. Chi mi sa dire qualcosa? Grazie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-raw/e1b498f5-d80e-460e-8834-c5de98fb08a3
  5. Recovering Files From Lost Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Files From Lost Partition: I forgot to backup my files before installing the windows multimedia tool to my external drive. I tried running recuva but it can't see the "lost partition" . My system sees my 930gb drive as 31.9gb and recuva only scans 31.9gb. Please help....
  6. Partitions lost?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitions lost?: This happened suddenly. When i started my laptop, i noticed some of the shortcuts not showing any icon. Then i went to This PC and noticed that I've lost all two partitions except the C drive. I tried to find a solution but didn't find any. Disk Management doesn't show it...
  7. lost partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost partition: This has happened twice now and I'm very confused. I have a HDD and have partitions- "C" and "F" The "F" partition is what I'm having problems with. A few months ago I got a windows update and as a normal person I just updated this over night (This was a large update, not...
  8. Raw Partitions

Raw Partitions: Hi Everyone! A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW. What is a RAW Partition? In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as...
  9. OEM partition got converted to RAW file system

OEM partition got converted to RAW file system: Hello everybody, I have a problem with my OEM partition and another one because they converted to RAW file system. As we can see in the photo below I have 2 RAW partitions, the second one is the important one because it is an OEM partition. How can I fix this? Or I should...
  10. Lost a Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost a Partition: Hi on one of my W10 Pro PC's I have a 1TB HDD attached by USB, I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to create a 500GB partition and when it was finished I expected it to show the Partition and some un-allocated space but only the 500GB partition is showing in Explorer, Disk...