Windows 10: Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

Discus and support Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Eng_2016, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Eng_2016 Win User

Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

Hi,

I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 on an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. I can access my computer with my 'PIN' number, but would like to reset the password. Unfortunately, I did not make a reset disk or set up a password hint when I set up the computer.

Any ideas of how I can reset my password for my local administrator account would be gratefully received?

JM.

:)

Eng_2016, Feb 6, 2020

2. Win10 lost UAC (administrator)password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you forgot the administrator account password and you are unable to login. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to log in to built in administrator account and create a new administrator account.

Please try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

• From the Lock screen, click on
      Power
      button.

• Press and hold the Shift key from the Keyboard and Click on
      Restart and try to enter the Safe mode.
    Kindly try to start your computer in Safe mode from the Windows Recovery Environment. Follow the below step.

Step 2:

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, select a startup setting as Safe Mode by pressing the corresponding number.
    Once you have entered into the Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Step 3:

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from
      Windows Recovery Environment

• Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

• Close the Command Prompt.

• Try to login though Built in Administrator and change the earlier password or you can create new user account.
    Refer the below link to create the new Local user account.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Jonas Flo Win User
    Lost administrative password

Hi,

Changing your administrative account password is quite easy. Once logged in, simply press key combination Ctrl + Alt + Delete and the option to change your password should be present. On the other hand, recovering your lost administrative
    password is not that simple, you can only recover a password for your Microsoft account, but if you forgot your local account password. You will need to reset the PC itself. However, you might need you're secret questions, hints, or recovery method (e.g email
    or phone number) to proceed.

For the steps, please refer to this article: Reset your Windows 10 local account password.

Jonas Flo, Feb 6, 2020
  4. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

Change administrator rights of an account as current administrator account password is lost.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

We understand you are trying to provide administrator rights to a user profile. However, We would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the operating system your machine currently running on? Please refer Which

Windows operating system am I running?

2. Are you using Microsoft Account or local account to log into your computer?
    3. Are there any other admin accounts?

If you have any other admin account on your system, you can sign into it in the login screen by clicking on that account on the bottom left corner of the screen. However, if the other user account is a standard user account,
    the account cannot be converted to admin account as this action would require administrative privileges.

However, if there are no other administrator accounts on the system and you are unable to login to the only administrator account that you have, we would suggest you to refer the methods below and check if it helps you.

Methods 1: Resetting password for the local account.

If the Administrator account is a local account, you can refer the article to

Reset your Windows 10 local account password
    and check if it works for you.

Disclaimer: The article above contains steps to reset the device, resetting your device will permanently delete data, programs, and settings.

Method 2: Resetting the password for the Microsoft account.

If the Administrator account is a Microsoft account. You can refer the article on

How to reset your Microsoft account password
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, I would also suggest you to refer the article on

When you can’t sign into your Microsoft account
    which has information that could prove itself useful to you.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

1. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account - Similar Threads - Lost password Local

2. forgotten administrator local account password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    forgotten administrator local account password: Dear Microsoft support team.I forgotten my administrator local account password and their security questions because I always used my my face id or my pin to sign in to my laptop. is there any way to recover or reset the password?I know my old password but last year I change...
  3. forgotten administrator local account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    forgotten administrator local account password: Dear Microsoft support team.I forgotten my administrator local account password and their security questions because I always used my my face id or my pin to sign in to my laptop. is there any way to recover or reset the password?I know my old password but last year I change...
  4. forgotten administrator local account password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD LOST

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD LOST: HI, I AM MOHSIN ABBAS. I FORGOT MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD HOW CAN IFIND THE PASSWORD...? ANYONE FOR HELP ASAP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-password-lost/0db44924-64db-4831-8ac5-bfb588ad08c7
  6. Lost Administrator password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost Administrator password: I have 2 accounts come up when I first start my computer. I can log into my account OK but I can't log into the Administrator account. I have tried everything but I have lost my admin password and everything I try requires this password. Any help much appreciated....
  7. Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker: My mother-in-law has been using a local account and does not know her password, or the answer to her security questions. She has been using Windows Hello, but the camera stopped working - the only login option that is available is via password - the other options are blocked...
  8. Change administrator rights of an account as current administrator account password is lost.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change administrator rights of an account as current administrator account password is lost.: changeing administrator when the administrator password is lost ***Modified Title from: changeing administrator when the administrator password is lost***...
  9. Windows Local Account lost password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Local Account lost password: I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. A few months ago, my mom bought a laptop from Dell. She set it up with 2 local accounts, with her as the only admin account, and now she's forgotten the password. All the information I've...
  10. Lost password (local account)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...