Windows 10: lost permissions/encryption problem

Discus and support lost permissions/encryption problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just installed windows 10/64 with all the updates. I saved my previous downloads folder to a USB memory stick. Now I can't access those files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thedoc735, Nov 28, 2018.

1. thedoc735 Win User

lost permissions/encryption problem

I have just installed windows 10/64 with all the updates.
    I saved my previous downloads folder to a USB memory stick.
    Now I can't access those files anymore as there is a gold padlock on each of them and message appears saying that I don't have permission to access those files; with attributes AE shown?
    No security tab appears for each file! *Sad
    Any ideas?
    Many Thanks!
    *Confused

:)

thedoc735, Nov 28, 2018

2. Help! File permission errors in encrypted folder

Hi Bill,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Are you the Administrator of the computer?
    • Are you connected to a domain network?

I suggest you to decrypt the folder by following the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right-click the folder or file you want to decrypt, and then click Properties.

• Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.

• Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Folder encryption

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• What is the user account type you are logged into? Is it an Administrator account or Local account?
    I would like to inform you that this issue might be occurring due to user account permission or file permission.

Please follow below steps to check the file permissions.

• Right click on any file and go to Properties.
    • In Properties click on Security tab.
    • In Security tab click on Edit.
    • In Edit go to Permission for System.
    • Refer to allow and deny section and give permission
    • Click on Apply.
    • After changing permission check whether you are able to encrypt the file.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 28, 2018
  4. lost permissions/encryption problem

Recovery of permission for viewing encrypted files

hello guys

My name is prakhar. and i am facing an issue related to encryption of files and denied permission:

So lets start from beginning.i had encrypted few files in windows 10 and when i changed my system to windows 7 i formatted its C drive and now it says that i dont have permission to see those filesi tried everything
    but i think it means i have deleted its encryption certificate.Again i changed my software to windows 10 thinking that it might help but it didn't.

Please suggest me what to do now please tell me.

Prakharsrvstva, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

lost permissions/encryption problem

1. lost permissions/encryption problem - Similar Threads - lost permissions encryption

2. Encryption Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encryption Problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  3. Encryption Problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encryption Problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  4. Encryption problems

Encryption problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  5. Encrypted locker is lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypted locker is lost: I have a WD My Passport external drive. I am using FOLDER LOCK7 to encrypt important files. I was working on the locker file when my system restarted after a blue screen. After that the locker file disappeared. It was in the name of PROGRAM FILES.flka. Instead, a .flkb file...
  6. Encrypted locker is lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted locker is lost: I have a WD My Passport external drive. I am using FOLDER LOCK7 to encrypt important files. I was working on the locker file when my system restarted after a blue screen. After that the locker file disappeared. It was in the name of PROGRAM FILES.flka. Instead, a .flkb file...
  7. Encrypted locker is lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Lost Bitlocker Encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Bitlocker Encryption: Hi Microsoft, Seeking your help. Accidentally lost Bitlocker Encryption Key. Thanks, Neil Jamilla https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-bitlocker-encryption/4ed6671f-5868-458a-a311-28301a0704e4
  9. lost permissions

lost permissions: Just recently i have lost permissions to open my photos , i have tried everything ... can some one help please thank you in advance . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-permissions/2fc17712-f593-4d04-ab47-75f664de22e3
  10. Lost Administrator permissions!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Administrator permissions!: Hi. So, after having an absolutely torrid time (nearly 2 hours) with a clueless agent on the Microsoft app i thought i'd try here as i'm so desperate now. It's a bit long-winded so bear with me. Ever since my Windows 10 updated to version 1709 i have had failures...