Windows 10: Lost photos and desktop after Windows update

Discus and support Lost photos and desktop after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; windows updated my computer on May 12. I found my photos and videos moved to users/my name/one drive/photos. I didn’t do anything and a couple days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AT107, May 29, 2021.

1. AT107 Win User

Lost photos and desktop after Windows update

windows updated my computer on May 12. I found my photos and videos moved to users/my name/one drive/photos. I didn’t do anything and a couple days later, windows updated my computer again. Now my photos and videos are no where to be seen. All of them are gone. I tried the search and the restore previous versions and OneDrive.com and didn’t see them there. I wanted to use the restore from settings but it says I need to plug in charger - my laptop cannot charge and the battery can be charged only when it is turned off.How to find my photos and videos?if I need to fix my charging issue, wh

:)

AT107, May 29, 2021
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Lost photos and desktop after Windows update :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 29, 2021
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 29, 2021
  4. Lost photos and desktop after Windows update

Photos are lost after an update

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we would like to know which updates got installed.

I would like to inform you that the files and programs installed on your computer will not get effected, when you upgrade to Windows 10.

I suggest you to check in Recycle bin once. If the photos are accidently deleted.

If you are unable to find the photos in Recycle bin, type the name of the photo or folder in search box and check.

For more information refer the following Microsoft help article.

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Note: The steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10.

If you are still unable to find the photos, I suggest you perform System Restore on your computer.

Method 1:

System Restore brings a system to an operable condition after a disaster so that it can again accept and process data.

To perform System Restore follow the step provided below.

• Press Windows Key + R Key
    • Type rstrui and press Enter.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, May 29, 2021
Thema:

Lost photos and desktop after Windows update

1. Lost photos and desktop after Windows update - Similar Threads - Lost photos desktop

2. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  3. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  4. photos lost after windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photos lost after windows update: Hello,My photo files were empty after a windows update. have tried to restore from recycle bin and from an earlier date which hasn't resolved. Anyone know how to 1/ get these folders back and 2/ contact a person for support since I'm paying handsomely for this service they...
  5. photos lost after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos lost after windows update: Hello,My photo files were empty after a windows update. have tried to restore from recycle bin and from an earlier date which hasn't resolved. Anyone know how to 1/ get these folders back and 2/ contact a person for support since I'm paying handsomely for this service they...
  6. photos lost after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Lost folders, icons and desktop photo after Win10 update 1 week ago

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost folders, icons and desktop photo after Win10 update 1 week ago: Hello, Shutdown my system the night before and when booted up the next morning, it was a different world on my computer. Not sure what has happened and after a search, tried several options to restore with no luck. Every time I shut down and boot back, everything...
  8. Lost Word file in desktop after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Word file in desktop after update: So I have spent 8 hours working on my dissertation project today, saving it as I go to the desktop. Went to shut down my computer and Windows did an automatic update and now my two files that I had been working on all day have completely vanished from the computer, I cant...
  9. Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost Desktop /Profile after Windows 10 Update: After updating my PC the "Hi, we are working on your pc" flashed for nearly an hour before a blank unusable desktop appeared. A Halt error appears and the process begins anew. How do I get my computer back?...
  10. Lost photos after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost photos after windows update: After window updated last , I lost all my photos from 2011 to present. How can I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-photos-after-windows-update/ff32462d-de45-4b3b-96b3-e466e231b7df