Windows 10: Lost production key after hardware change

Discus and support Lost production key after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MortenMeincke, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Lost production key after hardware change

Hello.

So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when sudden my windows activation was "lost"?

My windows 10, was the "free" update from Microsoft, which was updated from my windows 7 back in 14 i think.
    So i dont remember my login details, if those existed back then.
    I can read the product key is connected to the hardware, so i think i ether can?;
    1) buy a new product key on the internet
    2) Reinstall my old setup, get the product key, and install my new
    3) get some help from you guys.

Best regards

:)

MortenMeincke, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 16, 2019
  3. NDIBEMADU Win User
    Lost of Product Key

I bought my Laptop in July 2015 with the Home and Student Microsoft Word. When I refreshed my computer I lost the Product key and I could not find the CD that contain the product key. What shall I do please suggest and help.

NDIBEMADU, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Lost production key after hardware change

Windows 10 Product Key

Hi Oscar,

Since the laptop has no battery compartment wherein the product key is usually located, we recommend that you follow these steps to find your Windows product key:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and hit Enter.

Also, if you're looking to reinstall Windows 10 after a hardware replacement, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this

article

Let us know if performing these steps resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Lost production key after hardware change

1. Lost production key after hardware change - Similar Threads - Lost production key

2. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  3. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  4. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Lost product key after hardware change

Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  6. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  7. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft product key not working after hardware change

Microsoft product key not working after hardware change: My pc started out as a prebuilt and I upgraded the MB, GPU, and CPU along the way and windows worked fine with those. Then I figured out that the current setup I had was unstable and I had to get a new MB and CPU. After I booted up with the new parts, the Activate Windows...
  9. Changed hardware - lost activation key

Changed hardware - lost activation key: Hello, Hope someone can assist. My computer suddenly stopped working after running a Windows update. I had isolated the issue to a fried motherboard. Got a new motherboard, cpu, memory etc. Got everything up and running and now I have an issue with needing to activate...
  10. Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC

Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC: I wanted to replace my 500GB Hard Disk with a 1TB one but in order to do so, I'll have to reinstall my Windows 10 PC and have lost the Product Key required to activate it afterwards. Please reply if you have any solutions. I tried contacting Microsoft but they say that only...