Windows 10: Lost sound after crash

Discus and support Lost sound after crash in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'll try to keep this brief for now. Can provide more details later if requested. Basically what happened, computer froze when I moved mouse to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mnsdfhrug, Jun 21, 2017.

1. mnsdfhrug Win User

Lost sound after crash

I'll try to keep this brief for now. Can provide more details later if requested.

Basically what happened, computer froze when I moved mouse to get out of screen saver. I waited around 5 to 10 minutes, tried to open Task Manager but it was still frozen. Ended up holding down the power button to force shut down.

When I started the computer again, I had no sound through headphones (tried multiple) and no sound from the computer's speaker itself.

My sound was not muted. I did the windows diagnostic but no success. I reinstalled my audio drivers, no success, I tried a system restore and after an hour of "system restoring" I got an error saying it can't be done and hence nothing has been changed.

Assuming its a software issue, the only idea I have left is to re install windows. Is there anything besides that which might fix the problem? Thanks.

:)

mnsdfhrug, Jun 21, 2017

2. Lost sound on my Creative D80 (Bluetooth) speakers...again after fixing once but lost the instructions.

Lost sound on my Creative D80 (Bluetooth) speakers...again after fixing once but lost the instructions. Grrr!

JamesSmith_745, Jun 21, 2017
  3. lost sound

Lost sound after upgrade to windows 10

ronnieheadrick, Jun 21, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

Lost sound after crash

Sadly, it appears a reinstall is needed based on what you have posted.

fireberd, Jun 21, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    By "windows diagnostic", you mean the Troubleshooter?

If not, refer to the green box in the image I attached

Lost sound after crash [​IMG]

pepanee, Jun 21, 2017
  6. mnsdfhrug Win User
    No, this was not the troubleshooter I used. I've looked at the image you posted and when I go from settings into "Update and Security", the window instantly closes before I can do anything.

About the windows reinstall, since you can keep your files, having to back up everything shouldn't be a concern, but I'm hesitant because what if the windows reinstall fails like the system restore did? I end up with no windows and 300GB of data lost.

mnsdfhrug, Jun 21, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Try opening Windows Settings' general window, search for Troubleshoot at the top, and open it from there

Lost sound after crash [​IMG]

pepanee, Jun 21, 2017
  8. mnsdfhrug Win User

Lost sound after crash

Tried that as well, when I click on any of the search results, it takes me back to the windows settings window (the one you just posted)

Yea, my computer has many other issues besides the sound *Tongue

mnsdfhrug, Jun 21, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jun 21, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    Hmm yea, you right. Seems like your computer got a few issues here and there. =)

I agree with essenbe to do a Repair Install at first, and that should fix many major issues your computer has, and should most likely fix the audio with it too

pepanee, Jun 21, 2017
  11. mnsdfhrug Win User
    Repair option seems complicated, I think I'll just go ahead with the reset PC and hope for the best.

mnsdfhrug, Jun 21, 2017
  12. pepanee Win User
    Alright! Sounds like a great plan! I hope the best for you to have that issue repaired!

pepanee, Jun 21, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

Lost sound after crash

I would still recommend the Macrium image first. Just to be safe.

essenbe, Jun 21, 2017
  14. mnsdfhrug Win User
    I backed everything up and attempted the reset PC about a week ago. I got an error saying that it couldn't be done and no changes have been made. I also tried reset PC without keeping files (wipe everything) but that failed as well. System restore does not work, going back to a previous windows build does not work. What is the next step?

mnsdfhrug, Jul 16, 2017
  15. fireberd Win User
    fireberd, Jul 16, 2017
Thema:

Lost sound after crash

1. Lost sound after crash - Similar Threads - Lost sound crash

2. Sound lost after resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound lost after resetting: I reset my computer in window 11 and now my sound and microphone are gone. Before reseting the computer, there used to be a CODEC sound system but I tried to press over it on device manager and it deleted itself. Is there anyway for me to recover sound? ;-;Even when I tried...
  3. Sound lost after resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound lost after resetting: I reset my computer in window 11 and now my sound and microphone are gone. Before reseting the computer, there used to be a CODEC sound system but I tried to press over it on device manager and it deleted itself. Is there anyway for me to recover sound? ;-;Even when I tried...
  4. Lost sound after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost sound after Windows update.: Lost sound after a Windows 11 update. Turned off and restarted computer several times and still no sound. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-sound-after-windows-update/8aeab7ef-df47-4bd0-b2b2-562eeb532ba3
  5. Lost sound after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost sound after Windows update.: Lost sound after a Windows 11 update. Turned off and restarted computer several times and still no sound. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-sound-after-windows-update/8aeab7ef-df47-4bd0-b2b2-562eeb532ba3
  6. lost sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost sound: lost sound 3 days ago and have ran audio troubleshooter several times and different ways has anyone had this problem if so how did you fix it thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-sound/357b449b-a2fe-4220-8047-771cdfcb9fa0
  7. Lost Sound after Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost Sound after Sleep: I've had this pc for a few days and it went into sleep mode earlier and I woke it up to no audio over my monitor speakers but bluetooth audio still worksin my headphones. I've tried everything I can with drivers (rollbacks, updates, etc) and I can't figure out what I'm...
  8. Lost sound driver after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost sound driver after update: This happens every time there is an update. I cannot recall how I fixed it before. Already tried going to Device Manager and trying to update the driver. Only one shows there and cannot fix it. This i why I HATE these updates....
  9. Lost sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost sound: My Windows 10 system has run OK for at least one year, with the sound working. Some days ago. the sound icon showed a red cross, and the sound had stopped working with the error message: "No audio device is installed". Using the inbuilt diagnostic, the system corrected the...
  10. Lost sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost sound: [img] My Logitech S-220 speaker system was working fine with my Asus 2007 desktop with Win 10 until I moved to my son's house. At this time I allowed Microsoft to update Win 10; something about fall .I wonder if this lost the sound. Logitech forum was hopeless. If any one has...