Windows 10: Lost Start menu search function

Discus and support Lost Start menu search function in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm creating a custom image of Windows 10 Pro and am implementing my usual settings, programs and tweaks as I have with prior versions of Windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sevvie7, Aug 4, 2015.

1. sevvie7 Win User

Lost Start menu search function

I'm creating a custom image of Windows 10 Pro and am implementing my usual settings, programs and tweaks as I have with prior versions of Windows.

I'm sure I'll have a few other questions along the way as I complete this task but my main problem is my Search function in my Start menu is broken. If I start typing, I get the Search box but I get no results. I have turned off Cortana.

I have also implemented the following under Group Policy that may be pertinent to my situation:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Add Search Internet link to Start Menu = "Disabled"
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Do not search Internet = "Enabled"

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search = Allow Cortana = "Disabled"
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search = Allow indexing of encrypted files = "Disabled"
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search = Do not allow web search = "Enabled"
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search = Don't search the web or display web results in Search = "Enabled"

I have also disabled indexing (WSearch) which I have always done and still had the ability to search, there was just no index and the searches were trivially slower.

All I want out of my Start menu are the pre-pinned programs I've configured (which I have completed by creating an xml layout file and implemented under Group Policy; I've done away with the 'Metro'/modern apps) and the ability to search only for less-frequently used programs in the search function. Any ideas?

Screenshot of example:

Lost Start menu search function [​IMG]

:)

sevvie7, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 4, 2015
  3. start menu and search not function

I using HP Elite book X360 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]) facing start menu and search button not function. Also try to update latest version fail. Please Help to fix this problem.

Ken_wan_7293, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Lost Start menu search function

1. Lost Start menu search function - Similar Threads - Lost Start menu

2. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function lost: After the update last week I lost the search function in the start up box and in searching files on my PC. I uninstalled and the function returns. I am wondering if there is another fix for the problem....
  3. Search function lost

Search function lost: On Wednesday an auto update processed. Thursday I could not search my files on the PC or use the start up box to search. I uninstalled the updates and the function returns. There must be a bug in there causing this to happen. Anyone else having this issue?...
  4. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search function lost: After the update last week I lost the search function in the start up box and in searching files on my PC. I uninstalled and the function returns. I am wondering if there is another fix for the problem....
  5. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search function lost: On Wednesday an auto update processed. Thursday I could not search my files on the PC or use the start up box to search. I uninstalled the updates and the function returns. There must be a bug in there causing this to happen. Anyone else having this issue?...
  6. Lost start menu function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost start menu function: Keep clicking on start menu but it will not open. I tried to use the shortcut key on the keyboard and it is still the same. How can I open it? I have Windows 10 Acer laptop and it is working yesterday....
  7. Lost start menu function

Lost start menu function: Keep clicking on start menu but it will not open. I tried to use the shortcut key on the keyboard and it is still the same. How can I open it? I have Windows 10 Acer laptop and it is working yesterday....
  8. Lost start menu function

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Start menu and Search function not accessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and Search function not accessible: Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure if the update is the cause or not.Here is what I have tried so far:1. Restarting the computer.2. Ran SFC utility corrupt...
  10. Lost Start Menu and Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Start Menu and Search: For whatever reason I have lost the use of my Start Menu and Search function. Is there any way to get the 'Settings' page open without the Start Menu? Winkey + I did it. 6925