Windows 10: Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

Discus and support Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have Alienware 17 R3. I have dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04. Now when I select windows in grub menu, the generic windows 10 animation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mvikramreddy92, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

Hi guys, I have Alienware 17 R3. I have dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04.

Now when I select windows in grub menu, the generic windows 10 animation shows up with 1024x768 resolution. Is there a way to restore my Alienware boot animation?

Thank you.

:)

mvikramreddy92, Nov 7, 2016

2. Boot time in Windows 10

Why does Windows boot slowly after dual boot with Ubuntu?

I used to use Windows for my work and It used to boot very fast. However, after dual boot with Ubuntu, my windows boot time became very long, it was annoying. I deleted Ubuntu, FORMATED ALL DRIVE, devided partitions, reinstalled
    Windows but it is still not better. FAST BOOT IS ENABLED, no start up app, no firewall, no antivirus.

After windows logo 10 sec, boot is stucked in black screen 10 sec, and no background image in login screen
    (My laptop used to boot just in 8 sec before dual boot)

Bui Manh Thang, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 7, 2016
  4. Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

I'm guessing that may be side effect of turning secure boot off? Assuming you turned it off so you could install and boot to Linux? My UEFI systems have the OEM Logo and my legacy BIOS PC's just show the generic Windows Logo.

alphanumeric, Nov 7, 2016
  5. nt62 Win User
    I have a 17r3.
    There are no alienware system board chipset or application drivers for Linux.

Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu [​IMG]

nt62, Nov 7, 2016
  6. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't still run Linux on it though. The drivers don't have to come from the OEM.

7. nt62 Win User
    Hello Alphanumeric.

True. You can run Vista or Windows 7 as well as Linux.
    As long as you don't mind 27 device failures / flags in the device manager.

I installed Server 2012 on 17r3, however, ONLY the network driver worked.
    If you want all the cool features of the device as designed,
    well --- it's a choice.

Fine. True. There are lots of blog discussions about Linux on Alienware.
    It's always going to be a problem because,
    the laptop is not designed to be used with Linux.

nt62, Nov 7, 2016
  8. Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

Ok, fair enough. And don't take this the wrong way, but what does that have to do with the original issue that was posted above?

9. nt62 Win User
    The poster wanted to restore boot animation.

Seems unlikely if trying to dual boot an incompatible operating system.

You (alphanumeric) were correct about differing boot animations when going to legacy.

The original 17r3 factory boot is a (128 gb) m.2 ssd card
    formatted in GPT and UEFI secure boot.

To install other systems requires changing the bios to legacy and that changes the boot animation.

nt62, Nov 7, 2016
  10. nt62 Win User
    If the original Windows 10 factory m.2 card was altered,
    the OP might try to do a restore / reset.

Problem is, one cannot do this when dual booting Ubuntu.
    In fact, if the m.2 UEFI secure boot card was altered,
    it may not be possible to do a factory restore.

On the plus side, the 17r3 has an embedded key that
    should activate to 10 Home.

The OP could download a system image provided by Dell support.

11. Turn secure boot back on and I bet the Logo will switch back to the Alienware one. Without having to do anything else. You won't be able to boot to Ubuntu but the Logo will switch to the OEM Logo.

It was the mention of no drivers for Linux earlier that prompted my post. I don't think this has anything to do with drivers, Windows or otherwise. It has to do with UEFI BOS and Secure Boot. The actual boot logo, I suspect, is embedded in the BIOS just like the key is. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see how bad the OP wants that boot logo back. And what he tries.

alphanumeric, Nov 8, 2016
  12. nt62 Win User
    Hello.
    I posted because I have a 17r3.
    A 17r3 is a Windows 10 and 8.1 device.
    The mention of "drivers" is only related to an incompatible OS and has nothing to do with a logo.

Thema:

Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

1. Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu - Similar Threads - Lost Alienware boot

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  5. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  7. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  8. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  9. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...
  10. Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu: I used to use Windows for my work and It used to boot very fast. However, after dual boot with Ubuntu, my windows boot time became very long, it was annoying. I deleted Ubuntu, FORMATED ALL DRIVE, devided partitions, reinstalled Windows but it is still not better. FAST BOOT...