Windows 10: Lost the Downloads folder

Discus and support Lost the Downloads folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop, bought it last week. Got SSD installed on it as D:\\ drive ('coz C drive had minimal space) I was transferring folders (of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by D Sri, Mar 5, 2019.

1. D Sri Win User

Lost the Downloads folder

I have a Windows 10 laptop, bought it last week. Got SSD installed on it as D:\\ drive ('coz C drive had minimal space)

I was transferring folders (of Pictures, Downloads, Music, Videos...) from "C:\Users\username" to D:\\ by changing the location address in each folders' properties.

For Downloads folder, instead of putting "D:\filename\Downloads" in the location, I only put D:\

Now I can't find Downloads folder in C or D and the side bar where Downloads icon used to be, its written D:\ (with icon of Downloads, the blue down arrow).

And all my downloaded stuff is going into "C:\Users\username\Downloads" which I can only access by typing in the entire address in the windows-explorer tab. There is no icon for the Downloads folder.

Checked in the hidden view. Have no previous system restore points.

How to bring it back?

:)

D Sri, Mar 5, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 5, 2019
  3. gabbydgar Win User
    Folder in Favorites lost

Had a folder in IE favorites named xxxxx favorites with many items in it. Don't know what I may have done but it is gone from the list. When I try to create a new folder it tells me that there is one already there, but it is not. Any suggestion where I might find the lost folder or how to restore it.

gabbydgar, Mar 5, 2019
  4. carryOC Win User

Lost files download folder

Hello,

I just found out that I've lost all of the files in my download directory. The download folder is still there, but it's empty.

I've also noticed that the shortcut which was named "téléchargements" (named only; it directed to the download folder) did not exist anymore/or had been renamed "downloads".

On searching the files somes of them were still in the shortcut/recent list but they did not lead anywhere. The files were gone.

Recuva located files originally in the download folder but they were for the most part in too poor a condition to be retrieved.

The link "téléchargements" in my user folder was modified 12th january 2017.

I would like to find out what happened ...

Thanks for your suggestions.

carryOC, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Lost the Downloads folder - Similar Threads - Lost Downloads folder

2. Lost folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost folders: Hi, I have lost a number of folders following the latest windows 10 update. I have tried all of the recommended solutions, performed a system reastore and web chatted with Micrsoft. Has anyone been able to slve this problem>...
  3. Lost folder

Lost folder: [ATTACH] When I go to "My PC" on my HP laptop,I cannot open the Downloads folder.I get this error message.The page says: This PC.The folders in it are:3D Pictures,Desktop,Documents,Downloads,Music,Pictures and Videos.These came with the laptop....
  4. Lost folder

Lost folder: Hello! I preinstalled my windows, because it was running pretty slow/bad and later today I found out that i didn't saved 1 folder that was very important. By very important i mean VERY VERY IMPORTANT folder. My question is: Is there any way that i can get it back? I don't...
  5. Folder lost

Folder lost: Hi, I opened 2 file explorer windows let's called it A & B. From A, I cut some pictures and click B and paste it in a new folder there. I went back to A and click undo twice. The new folder with the newly pasted pictures were all gone. Anyone can advice how do I get back...
  6. Lost Folder

Lost Folder: I have lost a couple of folders and cannot trace what happened. In Word, I can see the docs that have been created but when I click to open I get the message "Directory not found" or something to that effect. Is there any way of retrieving? If I reset the computer to an...
  7. Lost Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Folder: How do I recover a Folder that disappeared from my Desk Top?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-folder/c9f944f5-52de-494a-a7be-e7340b6e0ee5
  8. "Lost" Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    "Lost" Folder: I have "lost" my Notepad folder. Each time I try just have folder title with blank white screen. Have feeling that I somehow moved it off the Desktop. Appreciate assistance please. Must be using search facility incorrectly as cannot find answer*Redface rgds. 133436
  9. lost downloads

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost downloads: Where are my downloads??? Windows did an automatic upgrade 3 days ago; and now everything that I download to save is gone (IE: pictures, screenshots, etc.) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/lost-downloads/3d35f0fb-e655-4b9a-8282-ea33f9b75ed2
  10. Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders: I recently reset my Windows 10 (latest update) PC and selected Keep My Files. When the reset had finished my Documents and Downloads folders were gone. Is this behavior by design? Would the Reset procedure have moved them to some backup location? 79621