Windows 10: lost user after update

Discus and support lost user after update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I updated windows which had not been done recently and my desktops disappeared. The data is in the User directory but the desktop has disappeared for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NathanHarkrader, Nov 23, 2019.

1. lost user after update

I updated windows which had not been done recently and my desktops disappeared.

The data is in the User directory but the desktop has disappeared for the user.

:)

NathanHarkrader, Nov 23, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Nov 23, 2019
  4. lost user after update

Lost User Account

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)/)
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(New-User-Profile-name)/)

4. Paste all those copied files here.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

lost user after update

1. lost user after update - Similar Threads - lost user update

2. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data: I tried to see hidden files. Opened Explorer and on user clicked on hidde.Now all documents, pictures disappeared. In explorer, I do not see any users except User\Public...
  3. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data: I tried to see hidden files. Opened Explorer and on user clicked on hidde.Now all documents, pictures disappeared. In explorer, I do not see any users except User\Public...
  4. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. User settings are lost after restart or system update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User settings are lost after restart or system update: We have two account subscribers on a Laptop Dell Inspiron 7591 2 in 1. My wife has a family member subscription with myself the administrator. The system recently went through an automatic update. My wife's account settings, functional apps and email account were gone....
  6. lost user account after windows10 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost user account after windows10 update: I updated my computer to a new windows. currently im using a temporary account !! how do i get back to my admin account using this temporary account !!! its frustrating to find this out!!! just searched for help and got to know to open it through WINDOWS POWERSHELL admin...
  7. Lost Files After Updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost Files After Updating: I cleared space so I could update. After updating I couldn't sign it, b/c my User Profile failed to load. When It did indeed load, all of my files were gone. My whole livelihood is on the PC. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Ginola331...
  8. Lost User Account after Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost User Account after Update: I just updated my system to the 1903 build, and now I lost my Standard User account. It will no longer allow me to log in, and the User folder is empty, so I no longer have access to anything I had saved on that account; which includes personally identifiable information....
  9. Lost Quicken user data after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Quicken user data after Windows update: I am a Quicken user and the last upgrade to my computer caused a loss of stored memory to this program. I'm not sure how this happened as I have a external hard drive I use to backup all info on. I lost over a months worth of info. I've tried unsuccessfully to retrieve this...
  10. User preferences lost after Windows update (still able to login)

in Windows 10 Customization
    User preferences lost after Windows update (still able to login): I updated Windows 10 last Friday. I haven't touched my computer since, and now when I start it, all my user preferences are gone. 1. I am able to login in to my usual account (which is a local account (not synced online), with administrator privileges). The PIN I use to log...