Windows 10: Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC' Documents on updating to Version 21H1

Discus and support Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC' Documents on updating to Version 21H1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just 25/7/21 updated Windows 10 to version 21H1. In File Explorer, under 'This PC' the 'Documents' filder is empty except for a folder 'Custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrianRic, Jul 25, 2021.

1. BrianRic Win User

Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC' Documents on updating to Version 21H1

I have just 25/7/21 updated Windows 10 to version 21H1. In File Explorer, under 'This PC' the 'Documents' filder is empty except for a folder 'Custom Office Templates' which, when opened, states 'This folder is empty'. How can I recover my multiple folders, their sub- folders and contained files? I use MS Office Word, Excel, and Outlook predominantly. I have lost all my Outlook email address/contacts, and for one particular email account I have lost all my Inbox subfolders and contained messages.

:)

BrianRic, Jul 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 25, 2021
  3. mikebk Win User
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive in the Documents library folder. The Navigation pane displayed the folders from the external drive under the Documents icon in Quick Access, This PC and Libraries. Unfortunately, the laptop failed and it was returned with Windows 10 (version 1709) installed.

After I included the same external drive Documents folder in the Documents Library, File Explorer displayed the external drive folders under the Documents folder. It only displayed the folders on the C:\ drive in the Quick Access Documents library and the This PC libraries. I've spent hours using Google with no luck.

Here is what is shown when I click on the Documents icon in Quick Access:

Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC'  Documents on updating to Version 21H1 [​IMG]

Here's what I see when I click on the Documents icon under Libraries:

Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC'  Documents on updating to Version 21H1 [​IMG]

Manage Libraries shows that the folder has been incuded

Does anyone have a suggestion that might allow folders to be displayed under the Documents icons?

Thanks

Mike

mikebk, Jul 25, 2021
  4. Andy 01 Win User

Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC' Documents on updating to Version 21H1

Documents Library - Lost Contents

Hi all.
    First time over in the 10 Forums, but an old time member of the 7 Forum *chuckle

I'm trying to work out a concern today, that's frankly driving me nuts.
    I installed the latest Creators Update a couple of days ago, and noticed this today, so I'm assuming its related ?

If I open my 'Documents' folder from Library's, it showed no content !
    If I navigate to the folder manually, all content was present as expected.

I deleted the Documents Library, and in Explorer right clicked on the Documents folder, and selected 'Include In Library', followed by 'Create New Library'.
    Documents then show under Library's again.

However, its quite a large item with many folders inside.
    When I open the newly created Documents Library, it only displays folders starting from A's, and up to G's, but nothing past that ?

I simply can't work this out *Sad
    If I right click Documents / Properties in the Library view, Restore Defaults is greyed out !
    If I select from the ribbon View / Options / Change, Restore Defaults is available, but not altering the issue.
    I altered the Library Type from Documents to General Items with no change.

I'm perplexed 'why' I lost the folder contents in the first place, but on reinstating the Documents Library 'why' it will not display folders past G ?

Any thoughts please ?

Many thanks,
    Andy

Andy 01, Jul 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Lost Windows 10 folders and contents from 'This PC' Documents on updating to Version 21H1 - Similar Threads - Lost folders contents

2. Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1: Trying to update Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems.Seems to be stuck at 20%. Have tried rebooting several times. Not sure that it is actually working....
  3. Updating to Windows 10 version 21h1

Updating to Windows 10 version 21h1: I have tried several times to update my laptop from version 1909 to 21h1. Every time I do it my laptop is rendered nearly useless. It runs sooooo slow its almost not able to be used. The last time I tried it it seemed fine for the first day or so but then it became...
  4. Windows 10 version 21H1 update

Windows 10 version 21H1 update: My windows upgrade installation is stuck at 96% even when I have a stable internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-21h1-update/b9d7b7b8-99ca-4caf-bbbd-25c290baa920
  5. Windows 10 version 21H1 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 version 21H1 update: My windows upgrade installation is stuck at 96% even when I have a stable internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-21h1-update/b9d7b7b8-99ca-4caf-bbbd-25c290baa920
  6. Lost Document Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Document Folder: I have inserted a new SSD to my desktop with a Windows 10. Before that, I have an HDD 500Gb also Win10 that I used for almost 10 years. So, it has my files, precious photos, videos, and more.... Now, while I'm organizing the default location of...
  7. Lost documents folder contents

Lost documents folder contents: Hi, after an automatic Windows 10 update all my documents vanished from the Documents folder - I now believe this was because a temporary profile was set up. Unfortunately I found my documents and returned them to the "new" documents folder. After re-booting, the temporary...
  8. This PC documents content

This PC documents content: I have a surface pro 4 running windows 10 and office 365. I am trying to understand how file storage is meant to work. In the file explorer tab I see: 1. Onedrive Documents etc 2. This PC Documents etc C\User 3. Documents etc 4....
  9. Documents Library - Lost Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Library - Lost Contents: Hi all. First time over in the 10 Forums, but an old time member of the 7 Forum *chuckle I'm trying to work out a concern today, that's frankly driving me nuts. I installed the latest Creators Update a couple of days ago, and noticed this today, so I'm assuming its...
  10. Lost "more" folders content

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost "more" folders content: I have just installed Windows 10 on my computer. I have come to realize the content of my "MORE" folders is missing. These folders are important to me. How can I retrieve them? 95025