Windows 10: Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

Discus and support Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have recently switched out my pc hardware and reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive using the media creation tool. I had a digital license linked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jason Gould1, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

I have recently switched out my pc hardware and reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive using the media creation tool. I had a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Once installed, I used windows update to upgrade to windows 11. Worked fine. I didnt know however that I had a system fault hardware, after a few hours powered off, on restart my PC would enter a boot loop and the only way to get windows to load was a clean install. When I have reinstalled from my windows 10 boot drive, my Microsoft account no longer recognizes my activation status. I dont have the product key, and the acti

:)

Jason Gould1, Feb 1, 2023

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

Why can't I activate Windows? - Microsoft Support

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Redirecting

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 1, 2023
  3. Activation after reinstall with major hardware change not possible

Hi,

I did a major hardware change on my desktop pc (Motherboard, Ram, CPU, SSD). During this I did also do a clean install of Win 10 Pro.

As many Internet Sites suggested I did an slmgr /upk on my old installation before the reinstallation.

I did enter my product key during the installation. But now it is not possible to activate my windows installation.

In the activation troubleshooter when I click "I did change hardware" only my old installation is listed (different hostname). I am using the same microsoft account for login as on the old installation.

Due to my work times its hard to get in touch with the phone support during bussiness hours.

I hope you can help me.

Alexander Rabenstein

AlexanderRabenstein, Feb 1, 2023
  4. Horamon Win User

Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

Can't activate Windows after reinstall 0x8007232b

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the chat as I figured out what happened:

I sometimes take my SSD out of my PC when I go to a different location and want to work on and with stuff that's installed on it. For whatever dumb reason it was decided that if you change hardware Windows tells you it needs to be activated.

Putting my SSD back in my regular PC solved it at that point, but I can't change hardware without the message appearing again. Best of all: Microsoft knows this and suggested some steps to combat it (add account > troubleshoot > changed hardware option)
    but these options aren't listed at all when you're in the state where Windows isn't activated.

ps: when you do a reinstall as I mentioned in my original post you can't change from home to pro et vice versa

Horamon, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

1. Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall. - Similar Threads - Lost activation due

2. Windows 11 activation after reinstall/hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 activation after reinstall/hardware change: I recently installed a genuine windows 11 Pro copy on a proxmox server. I linked my MS account for a digital license I bought and it all worked fine until Windows crashed and I had to reinstall it. I added more cpu core and memory for a better performance. But, despite...
  3. Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.: I have recently switched out my pc hardware and reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive using the media creation tool. I had a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Once installed, I used windows update to upgrade to windows 11. Worked fine. I didnt know however that...
  4. Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.: I have recently switched out my pc hardware and reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive using the media creation tool. I had a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Once installed, I used windows update to upgrade to windows 11. Worked fine. I didnt know however that...
  5. Lost activation key after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost activation key after reinstalling windows: Hi, A few days ago when I turned my PC it went to a blue screen and I had an "Error code 0xc000001 - Recovery: Your PC Couldn't Start Properly" - I have tried everything the internet offered to fix this problem but it didn't help and I had no choice but reinstalling the...
  6. Lost my wireless network hardware due to untested updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost my wireless network hardware due to untested updates: After updating windows to the latest available version, my wireless network adapter has stopped working, and it is no more detected in the hardware section and it is no more working. updates also destroy the computers hardware. Great...
  7. Changed hardware - lost activation key

Changed hardware - lost activation key: Hello, Hope someone can assist. My computer suddenly stopped working after running a Windows update. I had isolated the issue to a fried motherboard. Got a new motherboard, cpu, memory etc. Got everything up and running and now I have an issue with needing to activate...
  8. BSOD - Fault in hardware?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Fault in hardware?: Hello community, I ran into a BSOD yesterday. Two stop codes I am getting are. "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" My hardware is new 3 Months Old Ryzen 3600, Corsair veng. Mem. & ROG Strix B450 F System running at default values have...
  9. Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error

Windows 10 reinstall on new hardware - activation error: Hi folks, History: a) Had Windows 7 (bought the DVD in a box with a genuine product key years ago) - was running fine. b) Upgraded online to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period after W10 went general release. So it was a digital license linked to my Microsoft account....
  10. Lost activation after reinstall

Lost activation after reinstall: After reinstlling Windows 10 Home edition I lost activation. My laptop came preinstalled with a geniune windows. What should I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-activation-after-reinstall/2a824cac-77ee-4d4b-a4d7-d5bd51ae891a"