Windows 10: Lost Word file in desktop after update

Discus and support Lost Word file in desktop after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have spent 8 hours working on my dissertation project today, saving it as I go to the desktop. Went to shut down my computer and Windows did an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NatashaEdwards1, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Lost Word file in desktop after update

So I have spent 8 hours working on my dissertation project today, saving it as I go to the desktop. Went to shut down my computer and Windows did an automatic update and now my two files that I had been working on all day have completely vanished from the computer, I cant find them anywhere. Does anyone know why this has happened and if or how I can recover them?

:)

NatashaEdwards1, Aug 28, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Aug 28, 2019
  3. lost desktop and files

Hi Jon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have lost files after Windows 10 update. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Did you face this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 from previous Windows?
    • Did you face this issue after updating in Windows 10?

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps finding your files.

After updating your PC to Windows 10, you may be having trouble finding your old files. Here are some things to try.

Refer: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10

Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 28, 2019
  4. LynnW213 Win User

Lost Word file in desktop after update

Microsoft Word file became hidden and lost the newest saved version after Windows auto update

I had a word document on my desktop that I updated and saved yesterday. Today my laptop automatically updated, and when I turned it back on, that document was gone.

It was only visible under the Recent Files list in Quick Access, and it showed that the document's destination was on the desktop, even though it's not visible on the desktop. When I changed the indexing setting to reveal hidden files, it showed up as a
    hidden file there.

But, the newest version I saved yesterday was lost, the hidden document I found was an old version of the document from days ago.

I don't know how to recover the missing updated document, or why the old document became hidden. The properties showed it has no previous versions, and there wasn't any temporary files in the word autosave folder either.

Is the document still recoverable, or did I just lost the updated version forever?

LynnW213, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Lost Word file in desktop after update

1. Lost Word file in desktop after update - Similar Threads - Lost Word file

2. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  3. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  4. Files lost after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files lost after update: I update win10 from 1709 to 20H2, and clean the system by dism++, include the old system. But I can not open programs such as notepad.exe/mspaint.exe. Maybe I deleted them all by mistake? How can I fix it?...
  5. lost files after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lost files after update: my files disappeared after microsoft made automatic update. how can we get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-files-after-update/f4ba6af2-bb21-40a5-bb48-cb3c3e0c8433
  6. Word and excel files and pictures lost after automatic windows update

Word and excel files and pictures lost after automatic windows update: After windows 10 automatic update my word and excel files and pictures are gone. I had it fixed at Staples got home and turned on computer and files missing again. Can't get through to a live Microsoft person....
  7. I lost my updated Word file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I lost my updated Word file: First of all, sorry for my English :) I need to record a voice track for a YouTube video where I have to read a text. The text I received wasn't very good so I decided to modify it. I spent hours and hours reading, seeing what's wrong in each phrase and rewriting them. I...
  8. lost Word document after updating in Windows 10!

lost Word document after updating in Windows 10!: Help! So we did the latest Windows update in Windows 10, and a super-important Word document somehow disappeared, it seems... We searched for the file of course in all of C:, and it shows up in "Recent" and "Recent Items," but attempting to open it gets the "shortcut can't...
  9. Lost Files After Updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost Files After Updating: I cleared space so I could update. After updating I couldn't sign it, b/c my User Profile failed to load. When It did indeed load, all of my files were gone. My whole livelihood is on the PC. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Ginola331...
  10. lost My Desktop File data After New Update

lost My Desktop File data After New Update: Dear Team , I Update My Windows Machine with Your New Update 1909 After Update cannot see My Desktop File and Folder i lost All My file and folder help me to finger out this Issue. Thank You....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when windows updated i lost an hour of work. is it anywhere on this computer I can find it?