Windows 10: Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update.

Discus and support Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The picture probably explains better, not sure why they've been created, they are all access is denied. Delete? [img] 83658 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kol12, May 5, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update.

The picture probably explains better, not sure why they've been created, they are all access is denied. Delete?

Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update. [​IMG]

:)

Kol12, May 5, 2017

2. Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Many app shortcuts are messed up in the Start Menu

I installed the Fall creators update today (more or less freedomly Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update. :) ) and the same sh*t occured to me. Every fking shortcut in the start menu is duplicated with a (1) at the end and a lot of shortcuts are missing the Icon.

amicrosoftuser2, May 5, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Display calibration

OK, in the Creators Update all reference to that set of settings have been removed from Control Panel and the Settings App. I don't know if this is an oversight or deliberate as a lot of the settings are being moved from Control Panel to the new Settings
    App

There is good news however, it has not been removed, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and find dccw.exe

right click this file and choose 'Send to' - Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now you will have a shortcut on your Desktop to the settings you are looking for . . .

DaveM121, May 5, 2017
  4. Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update.

They are symlinks, unless you are really bothered by it, you should not remove them. Like "My Documents" symlink links to the real "Documents" folder, so if some software would want to save to the old location, Windows would put it to the new one, to one folder, so you would not have 2 Documents folders.

The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows

TairikuOkami, May 5, 2017
  5. Kol12 Win User
    Are these in any way linked to the Windows.old and Creators Update? Maybe these were always there, sorry I can't remember, it seemed like more following the upgrade...

Kol12, May 5, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    These symbolic links have always been there, they were there in 10240. The 'My Music', 'My (this that and the other)' are for backward compatibility.

The are all hidden, if this is the first time you've seen them it's probably because you haven't had 'show hidden files and folders' turned on before.

Bree, May 5, 2017
  7. Kol12 Win User
    No, I've always had 'show hidden files and folders' turned on. I have My Music, Pictures, Videos symbolic links in My Documents folder and I'm pretty sure they weren't there before??

Kol12, May 5, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

You better check it out! And, be careful what you choose to delete, I think you're showing 'Super Hidden', crucial system files and folders!!!

Edwin, May 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Ah, that would be it - turning on 'show hidden files' AND 'show protected system files'. I always turn those on, I like to see everything that's on my PC, so I've been seeing those symbolic links since Day 1.

Bree, May 6, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    I often must turn on the later to find my custom 'Super Hid' folders, (as long as I pin them to Quick Access!) *Wink

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lots of folder shortcuts following Creators Update. - Similar Threads - Lots folder shortcuts

2. Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost): Copy-pasting from my last question cause I never got a good response. So what happened was, the Fall Creator's Update decided it needed to happen to my computer, which was previously stupid fast, and immediately reduced it's high performance to roughly 1/4th of it's...
  3. Action centre/notifications not working following creator update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Action centre/notifications not working following creator update.: Following the creator update nothing happens following a left click on the action centre notifications icon in the bottom right. A right click shows the menu or action centre but it doesn't open. 82102
  4. Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install.: Following the Creators Update installation Libre Office portable won't open from my standard user account. Double clicking a .doc file neither launches Libre Office. Running it with administrative privileges opens it but not without an error saying that it crashed the...
  5. Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update: Hi. Before that last big Update, I used to have buttons (where the question marks are in the attached pic) saying 'Restore this item' 'Restore all items' and I can't find a way to get these back. As you can see, I'm using Classic Shell if that matters. Can anyone put me...
  6. Issue Adding Windows Update Shortcut to 'This PC' - Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Issue Adding Windows Update Shortcut to 'This PC' - Creator's Update: Hi all, Hoping that someone can assist in resolving an issue with Creator's Update. I am looking to add a shortcut to 'Windows Update' (including it's original icon) to the 'Devices and drives' section of the 'This PC' window. I recall having had this customisation in...
  7. Icons missing in start menu following Creators update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons missing in start menu following Creators update.: I've got missing start menu icons following the Creators Update, coming and going on boot ups. Anyone else? 83655
  8. Creators update and extra folders.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators update and extra folders.: As I did not get any indication of update in windows update section, I updated from Download Windows 10 . Every thing went ok. I tried cleaning extra folders and system with following commands. %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35...
  9. Lots of Creators Fall Update Problems on the Forum!

in Windows 10 Support
    Lots of Creators Fall Update Problems on the Forum!: I'm not surprised to see many problems on the forum as usual after a major Windows 10 update. I don't know whether the problems are due to poor MS software engineering or poorly maintained PCs which only display obvious problems on major upgrades. I'm continuing my policy...
  10. Bug with shortcut tiles since Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug with shortcut tiles since Fall Creators Update: Hello, Since the Fall Creators Update I have noticed that after uninstalling any software, the corresponding shortcut tiles in the Start Menu would still stay there but with a weird name title and without an icon. This happens when I uninstall any Windows Store apps as...