Windows 10: Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update!

Discus and support Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [if there is a better suited forum for this question please advise!] I am handwriting on my MS Surface Pro 5 in two languages - English and German... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update!

[if there is a better suited forum for this question please advise!]

I am handwriting on my MS Surface Pro 5 in two languages - English and German (at least I am trying to).
    The reco in English is - well - not good but somewhat usable. The reco in German is outright catastrophic and definitely UNusable! I went several times through the "Improve Handwriting" exercise in both languages.

In English at the end I always get a notification "Handwriting recognizer was updated for English" and my impression is, it actually helps a bit and reco improves each time (at least a bit).

In German, however, I invariably always get "Handwriting recognizer was NOT updated for German".
    ?#%@$! WTF!

I paid $$$ for this SP5 and its pen and being able to do handwriting input was one of the selling points!

I am VERY disappointed! What could be the reason that the recognizer for German refuses to get updated/improved by teaching it my personal handwriting?

:)

2. Handwriting personalization / Supported characters for English (US) language

Hi Jacob,

Since the Handwriting Personalization feature has worked properly before, there's a possibility that recent changes or updates performed on your computer may have triggered this problem or it could be that there is a need for you to improve the handwriting
    recognition on your Surface Pro by providing more samples of your handwriting. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Language > Language options.
    2. Under Handwriting, click Personalize handwriting recognition.
    3. Select Teach the recognizer your handwriting style.
    4. Several options will be provided to you on what samples do you want to input.
    5. Once done, click Update and exit.
    6. Click Close.

In case you're still getting the same error when trying to have a word or letter recognized, then you may have to reset the handwriting recognizer and start from scratch. Here's how:

1. Navigate to Language options > Handwriting.
    2. Under Personalize handwriting recognition > Related Tasks, click
      Delete handwriting samples that you provided for the current language.
    3. Confirm that you want to delete it by clicking Yes, delete my handwriting samples and reset the handwriting recognizer.
    4. Once done, then try to re-establish your handwriting feature again.

Let me know the result so I can assist you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 2, 2019
  3. How can I disable handwriting (ink) in Windows 10?

Thank you but I would prefer you to post the steps to follow here so we share them with the community.

On a side note, I have started a feature suggestion in the microsoft user voice webpage to petition for a handwriting toggle:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...add-a-method-to-disable-the-handwriting-panel

PabloPerla, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Surface Pro 3: Handwriting | There are not handwriting options for this language.

Hi Hein,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

To recognize your handwriting in a specific language, your Tablet PC must have the
    handwriting recognizer for that language installed.

Where available, the handwriting recognizers are included in the corresponding language pack. To turn on handwriting recognition for a language, you need to do two things: get the language pack, and then add the input language that you want
    to use.

I would request you to download the Windows updates and check if it helps.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update! - Similar Threads - Lousy handwriting reco

2. My Device refuses to recognize my mouse.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Device refuses to recognize my mouse.: Problem: Whenever I plug in my Cyberpowerpc optical gaming mouse I always get an error "The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it." I've disconnected all attachments such as the charging cable and my type cover.I've...
  3. My Device refuses to recognize my mouse.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Device refuses to recognize my mouse.: Problem: Whenever I plug in my Cyberpowerpc optical gaming mouse I always get an error "The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it." I've disconnected all attachments such as the charging cable and my type cover.I've...
  4. My Device refuses to recognize my mouse.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unfortunately, my handwriting recognition will sometimes refuse to work. The languages I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unfortunately, my handwriting recognition will sometimes refuse to work. The languages I...: Unfortunately, every now and again it simply stops working. The first indication of this is normally, that instead of the writing input a touch keyboard appears. When I finally manage to pull up the writing input field, it simply does not attempt to recognise the text. I have...
  6. Unfortunately, my handwriting recognition will sometimes refuse to work. The languages I...

Unfortunately, my handwriting recognition will sometimes refuse to work. The languages I...: Unfortunately, every now and again it simply stops working. The first indication of this is normally, that instead of the writing input a touch keyboard appears. When I finally manage to pull up the writing input field, it simply does not attempt to recognise the text. I have...
  7. Sticky notes is lousy and useless!! Hate it!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky notes is lousy and useless!! Hate it!: Sticky notes is totally useless without the setting to be able to change the font size ONLY IN THIS APP and give the option to stay on top of other windows. Useless. Just useless. Any one else agree? Keep the rants coming! Another kick in the rear from Microsoft. How hard can...
  8. Sticky notes is lousy and useless!! Hate it!

Sticky notes is lousy and useless!! Hate it!: Sticky notes is totally useless without the setting to be able to change the font size ONLY IN THIS APP and give the option to stay on top of other windows. Useless. Just useless. Any one else agree? Keep the rants coming! Another kick in the rear from Microsoft. How hard can...
  9. Windows Hello refuses to recognize my PIN.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello refuses to recognize my PIN.: Alright. So I am trying to also put my Microsoft account onto my husband's laptop and it says IHAVE to use Windows Hello, but I have never heard of it until now. It asks for my PIN and when I put in the pin it says it's incorrect, so I changed it on my pc and restarted my pc....
  10. Niece reco Notebooks with excellent WWAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Niece reco Notebooks with excellent WWAN: WWAN can be very troublesome to setup and actually use with snappy performance. I’m needing one not for travel but for getting signal at home where cable is nonexistent. Verizon and Sprint have decent signal strength. can you recommend a couple of good proven...