Windows 10: Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update!

Discus and support Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [if there is a better suited forum for this question please advise!] I am handwriting on my MS Surface Pro 5 in two languages - English and German... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update!

[if there is a better suited forum for this question please advise!]

I am handwriting on my MS Surface Pro 5 in two languages - English and German (at least I am trying to).
    The reco in English is - well - not good but somewhat usable. The reco in German is outright catastrophic and definitely UNusable! I went several times through the "Improve Handwriting" exercise in both languages.

In English at the end I always get a notification "Handwriting recognizer was updated for English" and my impression is, it actually helps a bit and reco improves each time (at least a bit).

In German, however, I invariably always get "Handwriting recognizer was NOT updated for German".
    ?#%@$! WTF!

I paid $$$ for this SP5 and its pen and being able to do handwriting input was one of the selling points!

I am VERY disappointed! What could be the reason that the recognizer for German refuses to get updated/improved by teaching it my personal handwriting?

:)

2. Handwriting personalization / Supported characters for English (US) language

Hi Jacob,

Since the Handwriting Personalization feature has worked properly before, there's a possibility that recent changes or updates performed on your computer may have triggered this problem or it could be that there is a need for you to improve the handwriting
    recognition on your Surface Pro by providing more samples of your handwriting. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Language > Language options.
    2. Under Handwriting, click Personalize handwriting recognition.
    3. Select Teach the recognizer your handwriting style.
    4. Several options will be provided to you on what samples do you want to input.
    5. Once done, click Update and exit.
    6. Click Close.

In case you're still getting the same error when trying to have a word or letter recognized, then you may have to reset the handwriting recognizer and start from scratch. Here's how:

1. Navigate to Language options > Handwriting.
    2. Under Personalize handwriting recognition > Related Tasks, click
      Delete handwriting samples that you provided for the current language.
    3. Confirm that you want to delete it by clicking Yes, delete my handwriting samples and reset the handwriting recognizer.
    4. Once done, then try to re-establish your handwriting feature again.

Let me know the result so I can assist you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 2, 2019
  3. How can I disable handwriting (ink) in Windows 10?

Thank you but I would prefer you to post the steps to follow here so we share them with the community.

On a side note, I have started a feature suggestion in the microsoft user voice webpage to petition for a handwriting toggle:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...add-a-method-to-disable-the-handwriting-panel

PabloPerla, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Surface Pro 3: Handwriting | There are not handwriting options for this language.

Hi Hein,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

To recognize your handwriting in a specific language, your Tablet PC must have the
    handwriting recognizer for that language installed.

Where available, the handwriting recognizers are included in the corresponding language pack. To turn on handwriting recognition for a language, you need to do two things: get the language pack, and then add the input language that you want
    to use.

I would request you to download the Windows updates and check if it helps.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Lousy handwriting reco - but recognizer refuses to update! - Similar Threads - Lousy handwriting reco

2. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..: Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login...
  3. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

in Windows 10 Support
    Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..: Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login...
  4. Windows Update KB4480966 refuses to configure.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update KB4480966 refuses to configure.: Every time I update, I get "Windows could not complete updates, reverting changes" at around 19% after it's downloaded and I've reset to install it. I have gone to tech support here who tried to do it, but never responded when I told them again, that it had failed after...
  5. opening handwriting panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening handwriting panel: how does one open the handwriting panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-handwriting-panel/059f5c5d-63a0-4920-9424-e75e6c38c5a9
  6. 1703 Handwriting panel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1703 Handwriting panel: Just wanted to know if I can get the Windows 10 1709 handwriting panel on Windows 1703 as I am using a Thinkpad 2 running the atom processor which has been ditched by Microsoft? I cant deal with having to tap the space bar button when I reach the end of the panel. Thank you...
  7. Update KB 4034674 Refuses to load

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update KB 4034674 Refuses to load: Culmulative update KB 4034674 is the one that screwed up my laptop, and refuses to install. I download it, run it, and it goes in, then says cannot work, reverting changes. 92489
  8. Refuse driver updates in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Refuse driver updates in Windows 10?: I just installed the leaked Windows 10 build 10051. Before this I had 9926 installed. I have a game called DayZ Standalone, it refused to launch on 9926. A friend said that updating to 10051 allowed him to launch the game. So I did a clean install. Everything works great so...
  9. Groove Music Tile refusing to update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music Tile refusing to update: It downloads, but it just fails to install. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. It still runs, but it simply won't update. Do I have to remove it completely and re-install it? Getting this error: [img] 27792
  10. Niece reco Notebooks with excellent WWAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Niece reco Notebooks with excellent WWAN: WWAN can be very troublesome to setup and actually use with snappy performance. I’m needing one not for travel but for getting signal at home where cable is nonexistent. Verizon and Sprint have decent signal strength. can you recommend a couple of good proven...