Windows 10: Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

Discus and support Low read/write speeds on a new laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I just purchased an asus laptop for school and gaming barely 5 months ago, recently I've noticed the disk usage spiking to 100% I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MikaelFoote, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

Hi all,

I just purchased an asus laptop for school and gaming barely 5 months ago, recently I've noticed the disk usage spiking to 100%

I have tried reinstalling windows, editing sections of the registry, disabling services, but nothing has fixed my issue. My hard drive just doesn't seem to be performing, and in task manager System seems to be hogging all the disk usage.

I've defragged, run disk check, and several other of the common command prompt lines that I've seen posted around to try and resolve this issue but nothing seems to be working. Considering how new this laptop is I just don't see the physical damage to the hard drive being the issue.

I'd rather not try to open this laptop up and check the SATA ports but I understand that could be part of the problem.

At this point I was hoping someone could review the logs of my Windows Performance Recorder before I just bring the laptop in to get serviced. Or if anyone has further suggestions I'm getting a little desperate. I appreciate any of the help in advance.

:)

MikaelFoote, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 25, 2019
  3. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect the fastest performance in doing so, I am getting absolutely ABYSMAL speeds. Not even half of the Seq Read/Write of my 4 year old HDD(The Random Read/Write speeds are better on the new SSD yet still awful). I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, as I should be getting FAR better performance than this. I have already cloned and set the new SSD as the default storage. I can format and re-clone if I have to, but it took almost 3 hours and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

It is in a SATA III enclosure, and connected to a USB 3.0 Port.

Attached is two speed tests. The first is the SSD, and the second is the internal HDD.(Also, ignore the Sailor Moon wallpaper, I was too lazy to crop...Sorry xD)
    Low read/write speeds on a new laptop [​IMG]

Low read/write speeds on a new laptop [​IMG]

Thanks for the help! *Biggrin

Geekypeaky, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

Low Read and Write disk speeds (Windows 10)

the boot speed is fine, used to be slow but i fixed that. The main issue is the disk speeds. because i notice on start up after boot the disk is 100% with very poor write and read speeds. Focus on the Hard disk please. "There
    is a lot of system HD writing." is this fixable?

Joe Boughton, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

1. Low read/write speeds on a new laptop - Similar Threads - Low read write

2. Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write: Windows Version: 20H2 OS Build 19042.804 Hey Everyone, I recently updated from W7 to W10 and now my PC has been running very slow. My disk usage is typically no higher than 40% however I am pretty much always at 100% active. I have tried multiple things online; however...
  3. RANDOM read and write speeds too low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RANDOM read and write speeds too low: Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives...
  4. low write speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    low write speed: when I download an app of any platform i.e Microsoft store or steam, I am getting high download speeds but my write speed is only at 2mb/s meaning that it is just slowing down my updates and downloads. I have searched for answers and I cant find anyone with the same problem,...
  5. Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading: Hello, God, I have a 1000 GB hard drive and it's hard to go, that if I copy the data on it, it's copying hard enough. Do you know any solution to increase writing, reading, optimization, etc.? Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  6. Read and write speed

Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  7. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

New External SSD, Low Read/Write: Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect the fastest performance in doing so, I am getting absolutely ABYSMAL speeds. Not even half of the Seq Read/Write of my 4 year...
  8. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  9. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  10. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix slow read and write speeds on laptop