Windows 10: Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10

Discus and support Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have had a Microsoft Surface Pro v4 for several years, and I just reset it to factory settings and upgraded all the software to find out my the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by The-Dave, Jun 21, 2020.

1. The-Dave Win User

Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10

I have had a Microsoft Surface Pro v4 for several years, and I just reset it to factory settings and upgraded all the software to find out my the recording level on my Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 was so low as to be inaudible in recordings.

After lots of distractions and gaslighting from Microsoft, it is 100% a Windows BUG.

I purchased a Microsoft Surface because I knew that running Microsoft hardware with a Microsoft OS should be reliable. Unfortunately, it didn't help in this case. And by tugging on the threads exposed by other people with the same problem, it's DEFINITELY NOT a hardware problem.

MY FIX

1. Right click on the speaker icon and select "Sounds"
    2. In the "Sound" dialog, click on the "Recording" tab
    3. Select the microphone with the problem, in my case
      Microphone, HD Pro Webcam C920 Default device
    4. Click the properties button in the lower right corner
    5. In the "Microphone properties" dialog, select the "Advanced tab"
    6. In the "Default format" dropdown box select a different default format, in my case:
      2 channel, 16 bit, 32000 Hz FM Radio Quality
    7. Launch "Voice recorder" and Voila! It records even the noise of the small fan in my office

After fixing it I actually had to go to "Sound settings" and reduce the gain on the microphone.

VERIFYING THE FIX

• Switching back to "2 channel, 16 bit, 16000 Hz Tape Recorder Quality" reverts to the low-level
    • With the setting at "2 channel, 16 bit, 32000 Hz FM Radio Quality"
      • Switching between "Audio Endpoint" and "Generic software device" drivers made no difference
      • Toggling the various "Exclusive mode" toggles had no effect
      • Plugging into my KVM had no effect
      • Plugging into my monitor plugged into my KVM had no effect

HARDWARE - Based on other threads with similar problems and completely different hardware, hardware has nothing to do with it
    Microsoft Surface Pro v4 i7/16Gb/256Gb
    Windows Pro 10 Build 19640.mn_release.200530.1731 blank install with all updates applied
    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920

I found the solution kind of in the last post in this thread from UTF16:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/6c63e3a3-e200-4c4c-997f-ebca42402b2c
    but I definitely shared the OPs pain, and plagiarized their post here

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS THAT DIDN'T WORK

• Reinstall/update the driver
      1. Open Device Manager

2. Select the audio device in question Search would be handy

a. Either:

i. "Sound, video and game controllers" -> HD Pro Webcam C920

b. Or

i. "Audio endpoints and outputs" - > Microphone HD Pro Webcam C920

3. Right-click on the device and select "Update driver"

4. In the "Update drivers - HD Pro Webcam C920" dialog

a. Select "--> Browse my computer for drivers"

b. Then select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

c. In the "Show compatible hardware list" select "Generic software device"

d. Reboot

• Contact the manufacturer

Installing the Logitech "Capture" application did not allow any device specific changes

Because it's using the Microsoft Windows default USB drivers!

• Boost the volume.

You can't turn up the gain in sound settings higher that 100%

With the correct encoding, a sound level of 80% is more than enough.

• Run the recording audio troubleshooter.

All this does is say there's no problem, and offer to contact support

During which you'll select your application and get forwarded to tech support where you'll be asked to type in the type of problem you're having

Then when tech support replies if ever they'll ask you to describe the problem

Then if you talk to a human being, they'll ask you to describe the problem

• Install Windows updates.

Granted this was on a Microsoft Surface that I had just reset to the factory image, and then applied all updates.

And windows update said it was up-to-date within hours.

I still tried this at the pleasure of Microsoft Support.

And I switched drivers and reboot at their request

And then they disappeared.

• Contact Microsoft support.

I tried online, email and telephone, and got very friendly people, who were very concerned about whether they could help, but clearly they can't.

Rather than having the skills, the means or the motivation to actually troubleshoot a problem, they instead just have you try useless steps until:

1. They find a fix on accident
    2. The customer gives up and stops trying most likely
    3. The eventual heat death of the universe, just prior to which they'll chalk it up as a success

:)

The-Dave, Jun 21, 2020

2. What is causing the USB Audio Codec/USB Microphone input to mute?

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop, running the most current version of Windows 10 Ver 1709, OS Build 16299.64, patches are up to date. I am having trouble with recording records from my Numark TTi turntable through a USB port. It worked fine before
    replacing the hard drive and installing the software. I have set the recording input volume settings for USB Audio Codec/USB Microphone and turned it on. Set the recording level to 75%. I have set it to default.
    When I play a record, after 10 seconds to 2 minutes it mutes and sets the recording level to 0.

Restart EZ Vinyl /Tape Converter (Ion Audio). Start turntable. Records for 30 seconds or less. Input mutes, volume goes to 0.

Right click on speaker icon. Double click on Microphone – USB Audio CODEC.

Select Properties. Levels tab. Unmute speaker, set volume level to 75. Select OK

Microphone – USB Audio CODEC is the Default recording device.

Restart EZ Vinyl /Tape Converter (Ion Audio). Start turntable. Records for 30 seconds or less. Input mutes, volume goes to 0.

Happens without fail.

What is causing the USB Audio Codec/USB Microphone input to mute?

I have the default format set to 1 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz.

I have a Lenovo laptop with the same Windows version, works fine.

Windows 10 Version 1709, USB Audio Codec/USB Microphone mutes by itself when receiving a signal.

USB Audio CODEC driver: Microsoft, 9/28/2017 V 10.0.16299.15

Says Best Drivers for that device are installed.

Dell system analysis says all drivers are current.

Dell support assist says all systems are functional.

Microsoft Troubleshooter – Recording Audio

Troubleshooter un-muted the USB Audio CODEC. Did not reset the level above 0.

I reset the level to 75. Started the turntable, mute was back on. Level was at 0.

Uninstalled the driver. Shutdown, restart.

Start EZ Vinyl /Tape Converter (Ion Audio). Start turntable. Records. Then mutes itself.

Generic USB Audio.

Daniel Palmaymesa, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Low USB microphone recording volume Rode NT-USB Windows 10

I have a Rode NT-USB Microphone that was working just fine on Windows 7 and then we updated to Windows 10 here at vdci/cadteacher San Diego, California and the NT-USB has low USB microphone recording volume. I tried all the troubleshoots and called Rode
    here in Long Beach, also Microsoft and they said to contact Rode. At a loss here and feel that Rode need to contact Microsoft to resolve the issue. I need to record some VO in the studio and not have the talent clipping the Mic since I have to max out the
    volume to get any frequency reprocess. PLEASE Help

agpuffelis, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10

Microphone Recording Volume is Low

Hey there,

I have been experiencing the issue regarding the microphone recording volume.

So far I have used the Apple Earbuds & Sony PS4 mono earphone as microphone but the recording volume is so low.

I have tried updating the driver. but, that didn't help either. and i also tried the same earphones in my windows 10 laptop and it records perfectly. But not properly in my desktop PC.

So kindly help me resolve my issue.

JunedSaiyad, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10

1. Low, silent, muted recording input, level, volume on USB microphone in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Low silent muted

2. Input volume is low. Could not record.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input volume is low. Could not record.: Input volume is low. Could not record. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-volume-is-low-could-not-record/2ec92c0f-6057-4067-98eb-e3ce8efa3567
  3. Input volume is low. Could not record.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Input volume is low. Could not record.: Input volume is low. Could not record. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-volume-is-low-could-not-record/2ec92c0f-6057-4067-98eb-e3ce8efa3567
  4. Microphone array input level is too low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone array input level is too low: Greetings,My microphone's input level is too low that I do not even hear myself properly. I can only hear myself when I speak very loudly and close to the mics of the laptop. I tried the followings and I request your assistance.I checked the input level and it is 100. Since...
  5. Microphone array input level is too low

Microphone array input level is too low: Greetings,My microphone's input level is too low that I do not even hear myself properly. I can only hear myself when I speak very loudly and close to the mics of the laptop. I tried the followings and I request your assistance.I checked the input level and it is 100. Since...
  6. Microphone input volume ridiculously low with phone link

Microphone input volume ridiculously low with phone link: I use phone link to manage calls from my Android phone on my computer. With all other apps the micophone input volume works just fine. But with phone link the input level is useless. I use a Blue Yeti microphone, and even by turning the gain to absolute max I can bearly hear...
  7. WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low.

WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low.: WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low. Checked all my sound settings and put them of full. Microphone Input volume works well on Skype, but very difficult for persons you are talking too through WhatsApp Windows to hear you....
  8. WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low.: WhatsApp for Windows Microphone input volume very low. Checked all my sound settings and put them of full. Microphone Input volume works well on Skype, but very difficult for persons you are talking too through WhatsApp Windows to hear you....
  9. Low microphone input volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Low microphone input volume: Hello I bought a new RØDE VideoMicro microphone and it have very low input volume. I would like to ask if is there some solution to fix this without Boosting microphone because it decrease sound quality a lot and there is a lot effervesence. I tried use another port in my...
  10. Microphone input level very low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone input level very low: My W10 PC is bang up to date, all updates installed. I decided to set up a mic for Zoom/Skype, but... I followed a very long post now locked on the subject of low input levels for microphones in Windows 10. Most helpful was the final post which suggested changing the...