Windows 10: Lowest Possible RAM usage?

Discus and support Lowest Possible RAM usage? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What are some Windows services/applications/default startups I can disable to lower idle RAM usage? Right now on a new(ish) installation of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Culbrelai, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Culbrelai Win User

Lowest Possible RAM usage?

What are some Windows services/applications/default startups I can disable to lower idle RAM usage?

Right now on a new(ish) installation of Windows 10 Pro it's at around 3GB (out of 16), I'd like it to be 2GB, ideally 1.5 or otherwise as low as possible. No non-essential third party apps are running in the background.

I heard disabling the Superfetch service can lower RAM usage by a large amount... but other than that...

:)

Culbrelai, Jul 23, 2016

2. What is the LOWEST possible winning score in Spider Solitaire?

Hi and thanks -

I understand what is the highest possible winning score, but my question is what is the lowest possible winning score.

I also know that the lowest possible score is zero, but that would be a losing score. If I go back long enough, I can get the score down to zero, but the game allows me to play, and eventually I win.

So again, what is the LOWEST possible WINNING score.

Thanks again!

Purewhitelight, Jul 23, 2016
  3. D_777 Win User
    Speeding up Windows 10 ?

How much RAM Windows 10 uses after fresh restart/intall.

What is the lowest RAM usage you have seen ?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

D_777, Jul 23, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

RAM is made to be used, why bother to reduce the usage unless it's causing a problem. We have seen this request since the days of Vista, a modern OS is designed to use any available RAM efficiently and so will always appear to be using more RAM than older obsolete systems.

Barman58, Jul 23, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    What is the blooming point of doing this?

You have plenty of RAM. Windows 10 uses more RAM to do its memory compression to minimise paging etc.

Unless you are using hugely memory intensive programs, I doubt you will get close to using 16 GB of RAM and if that close, 1 or 2 GB used will make no impact, and you should add extra RAM any way.

My 8GB laptop sits all day at 2.5GB and barely blinks an eye.

You are more likely to cause issues by trying to limit RAM usage.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

cereberus, Jul 23, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Here's my memory usage:

Lowest Possible RAM usage? [​IMG]

this is without tinkering anything. So as you can see Windows is pretty good at memory management. I would not go round messing with services if not your sure what they do as you could break things. Some services give multiple functions to Windows.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2016
  7. You can use CleanMem Free - set its task to run every 5 mins to get as much free RAM as possible. *really

TairikuOkami, Jul 23, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Just noticed some interesting differences between what I presume is 10586 and Insider 14393.

Note addition of "(compressed)".

The other thing is it shows the speed as 800 MHz like CPU-Z does ie you have to double it as DDR. I was worried at first but CPU-Z shows it as 800 MHz as well.

cereberus, Jul 23, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    @cerebus Interesting. I've not seen that before. But showing 800mhz is correct if you bought 2 sticks and have them in dual channel mode. Also I disabled paging file because I have 16Gb of ram and I wonder if it shows compressed when thats enabled.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2016
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Removing the Paging file has been known to cause issues with some software that is written in such a way as to expect the Paging file to be present.

It is sometimes better to have at least a token paging file (say 256Mb), to ensure that all programs ran at optimum *Wink

Barman58, Jul 23, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    That was indeed the case a few years ago when programs like Adobe would require the pagefile. I personally have never had an issue with disabling it but other people will need to think carefully and look at how much ram they have and the speed of their computer overall. I would say if you have less than 8Gb, don't disable it.

If I do come across such programs that require it, I can always enable a small size as you suggested.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2016
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    Memory management in any modern operating system is highly dynamic. When available memory is plentiful (which is certainly the case here) the memory manager will allow processes to use pretty much whatever memory they want. That is the way it should be. This is the best possible of all situations regarding memory as it allows everything to operate with maximum efficiency. Interfering with this is a crime against performance. But if a memory hungry program is run this idle memory usage will be trimmed back as necessary to meet the demand. Of course with 16 GB RAM this probably won't even be necessary. And that too is good.

Trying to reduce memory usage in this situation will impair performance and and possibly impact functionality.

Please do not run CleanMem or anything like it. The only benefit they provide is to make the numbers appear better in Task Manager to people who do not understand what they mean.

LMiller7, Jul 23, 2016
  13. Culbrelai Win User

Lowest Possible RAM usage? [​IMG]

This is from Premire Pro CS6. "RAM reserved for other applications" is stuck at 3GB due to idle usage.

Thus, it needs to be lowered. I find new Windows OSs to be very wasteful compared to XP, which I actually have idling in a virtual machine at 512MB, which is perfect. This waste results in poor performance on older machines that upgrade to Windows 10. Thus, that machine is staying on XP until I can find out how to match it's RAM usage.

This is very useful, thanks.

Culbrelai, Jul 24, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Have you understood any of the posts here?

Explian why you need to reduce the memory?

cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  15. Mystere Win User
    You seriously do not understand the way memory works. Besides, this is in direct opposition of Adobe's recommendations.

Please try recommended memory settings for After Effects CS5 and give feedback. | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

They recommend leaving 6GB for other applications when you have 16GB.

This setting is not what you think it is. It's the setting that tells Adobe apps how much memory to allow for other apps so that they do not get starved.

Mystere, Jul 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Lowest Possible RAM usage? - Similar Threads - Lowest Possible RAM

2. RAM usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM usage: There is something I don't understand, why do different services and processes make a difference in RAM usage and affect the RAM usage of each other. Firstly, the windows widgets was taking up too much of RAM and it was of no use to me, so I disabled it from the registry....
  3. RAM Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM Usage: Hi! I have 32GB 2x16 of RAM installed, however when I try to open programs I get not enough memory issues despite only using 80% and still having ~6GB free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage/69855d13-22e1-4305-a5e5-0b696d9cfc85
  4. help- 100% paging file faults even at lowest ram usage-

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    help- 100% paging file faults even at lowest ram usage-: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Shamiko_x96 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mch7am/help_100_paging_file_faults_even_at_lowest_ram/
  5. RAM usage

RAM usage: Hi I have 2 gb RAM and I am trying to run an app which recommends 4gb RAM so I set the virtual memory or the paging files to 2.5gb and I don't know if this enough or even would help so please I need an expert to answer...
  6. RAM usage

RAM usage: Okay so, my problem comes from the fact that in standby my laptop is using over half of it's memory and I have no clue why it's doing this. On top of that it's causing any game I try to play to crash, so if anyone could help, that'd be very much appreciated....
  7. Lowest Possible RAM Usage?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lowest Possible RAM Usage?: What are some Windows services/applications/default startups I can disable to lower RAM usage? Right now on a new(ish) installation of Windows 10 Pro it's at around 2GB (out of 4), I'd like it to be 1.5GB or otherwise as low as possible. No non-essential third party apps are...
  8. RAM usage

RAM usage: My Ram is usually in the 60-high 70's% regen. the most activity being done is web browsing. Is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage/f4977764-fc2a-4a3f-972a-ddf00029591b
  9. ram usage

ram usage: how can I know which applications are using much of my ram https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage/d44fa670-4c66-4fa5-80f3-d96ab92a42a3
  10. My laptops brightness is stuck at the lowest possible!

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptops brightness is stuck at the lowest possible!: Ive tried using the keys and using the slider in settings but neither have worked! I can barely see the screen! Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptops-brightness-is-stuck-at-the-lowest/465a7bbc-3d6c-452e-be87-1f4352715f89

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lowest possible ram usage in windows 10