Windows 10: M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

Discus and support M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK- cloned my Samsung ssd850 contents to my new m.2 Samsung 970. Bios will not recognize the m.2 with the ssd850 installed. Either work by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richard_523, Oct 5, 2018.

1. M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

OK-

cloned my Samsung ssd850 contents to my new m.2 Samsung 970. Bios will not recognize the m.2 with the ssd850 installed. Either work by themselves fine. Motherboard is Asus Gaming Aura Pro 970. My question is how can I get my Bios to recognize both and set boot order?

Can I somehow format the 850, then back it up from the m.2?

Richard

:)

Richard_523, Oct 5, 2018
  2. ocir Win User

m.2 ssd

Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive?

ocir, Oct 5, 2018
  3. qUAan Win User
    Crucial m.2 ssd not recognized by bios post windows 10 installation

Installed windows 10 pro on my crucial m.2 ssd 500gb as us z97 board and it was fine.

Drivers updated two monitors came to life with beautiful desktop. File explorer was different, login screen was nice, start button was crisp....I played. A little bit with it and went to work. Came back and found my pc in bios.

i immediately set everything to default. And found that my crucial m.2 ssd is nowhere to be found in my bios. Hence no OS to boot from.****???

a coincidence?

I popped in another crucial m.2 ssd and its fine. Going to attempt to install again and see if it repeats....... Stay tuned guys I may have found a problem.

qUAan, Oct 5, 2018
  4. cadaveca Win User

M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-notebook-portable,1913-3.html

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

1. M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems - Similar Threads - cloned SSD dive

2. Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e: Details:Recently my 500GB SATA boot drive ran out of space due to apps/updates. I then have purchased a m.2 NVME drive. I have used Macrum Reflect 8 to clone the 500GB SATA drive to the new 1TB NVME M.2. Before that I did format the new drive with the GPT format in disk...
  3. Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e: Details:Recently my 500GB SATA boot drive ran out of space due to apps/updates. I then have purchased a m.2 NVME drive. I have used Macrum Reflect 8 to clone the 500GB SATA drive to the new 1TB NVME M.2. Before that I did format the new drive with the GPT format in disk...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  5. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  6. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows Boot Problem BIOS SSD M.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Boot Problem BIOS SSD M.2: I got an SSD M.2 and set Windows 10 there. The second disk is HDD. During startup, the PC throws it into the BIOS. I don't change anything there, I press "save and exit", and then Windows starts up. And if you turn off the computer and turn it on after 1 minute, everything...
  8. Cloning OS from SSD to M.2

Cloning OS from SSD to M.2: I'm ordering my first M.2 drive and I need advice. 500g ssd to 500g m.2 Can I clone the OS? What program should I use to clone? Should I just reinstall windows? 149234
  9. best way to clone SATA M.2 SSD to PCIe M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    best way to clone SATA M.2 SSD to PCIe M.2 SSD?: Long story short: I have a Gigabyte Mini ITX motherboard with a 256GB Sandisk SATA III M.2 SSD in it that I'm replacing with a 1TB Intel PCIe M.2 SSD and would like to keep my OS and everything. My current plan ins to put the old SSD into a USB enclosure so I can boot from...
  10. PCIe M.2 SSD not showing in bios

PCIe M.2 SSD not showing in bios: I bought a Samsung 970 EVO nvme m.2 1TB SSD that i connected to a PCIe adapter and then plugged into he pcie slot. by follow a tutorial on you tube i got windows 10 installed on the SSD but the SSD does not show up in bios so i can boot from it. When i plug my old SSD in and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cloned m.2 recognized in windows but not bios