Windows 10: M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question.

Discus and support M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been thinking about installing another SSD in mydesktop. I have a ASUS PRIME B360M-A Motherboard that came with 16GB Optane memory in the M.2_2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Winuser, May 4, 2020.

1. Winuser Win User

M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question.

I have been thinking about installing another SSD in mydesktop. I have a ASUS PRIME B360M-A Motherboard that came with 16GB Optane memory in the M.2_2 socket that I never set up or used. This is what the manual says.

Expansion Capabilities

One PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (x16/x4)
    Two PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots
    Two M.2 (Socket 3) slots
    Note:
    If the M.2_1 socket is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, the SATA2 port will be disabled
    Only the M.2_2 socket supports Optane™ memory

I know I can't use the M.2_1 socket because it would disable the SATA2 port. Would it be possible to replace the 16GB with a larger drive or is the M.2_2 socket only useful for the OPTANE memory?

:)

Winuser, May 4, 2020

2. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, May 4, 2020
  3. TraceyW Win User
    Questions about M.2 Memory

Hi

I'm investigating what M.2 memory is all about and what is involved in getting it up and running. I've already learnt a lot in just browsing various websites that explain what it is.

At present though, my husband seems to be having problems running Trainz on his PC and it seems like a faster drive would be useful to say the least in overcoming those problems. Since he has a mobo with an M.2 M socket on it he could quite happily install an NVMe x4 into his PC to use for storing the files. One question though: once it is installed, does it appear in "This PC" in the same way as any other drive. If it does, presumably it can be used as pretty much a normal drive would be. Pretty elementary questions I know but I would prefer to know before I pay my money as we have some very big expenses coming up.

Oh! One other question about M.2 add-on cards. I wouldn't have thought you could expect the same improvement in speed from an M.2 adapter card as you would get from a socket on the mobo but what is the difference between the two and is it worth worrying about? The only reason I ask is that I don't have an M.2 socket on my mobo and I'm just wondering for future reference.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey

PS As you can guess from the above I am not suggesting that my husband uses M.2 memory as a boot device.

TraceyW, May 4, 2020
  4. Winuser Win User

Install Memory ?

I have two more questions. One is about the dual channel and the other is a question about the M.2 socket 3 sockets. My computer came with 16GB Intel Optane Memory. I never set it up because I just swapped the SSD from my old computer to my new computer. My questions are:
    1. Could this be the reason why I can't use the memory in dual channel mode?
    2. Instead of using the 16GB Optane memory can I either use it as a SSD or even buy a larger M.2 drive and replace it. My board has another M.2 slot that as I understand when used disables the slot with the Optane memory.

Winuser, May 4, 2020
Thema:

1. M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question. - Similar Threads - Socket Optane memory

2. Optane memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optane memory: Is it recommended to use Intel Memory And Storage tool for SSD or Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Optane drives or does Windows 10 already manage these drives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optane-memory/8fe6f236-b522-41b3-af90-55343b95541a
  3. m.2 ssd question

m.2 ssd question: My Asus Z 97-A motherboard socket says m.2(socket3) and my motherboard has the latest bios update. I was thinking about getting one of these if it will work? thanks! *Smile https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...4NJ2J?dchild=1 169774
  4. Intel Optane memory software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Optane memory software: I got an error message connected with Intel Optane memory software. It says that Unable to load DLL ' iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll ': The specified module could not be found...
  5. New Laptop - empty m.2 socket - doesn'r recognise SSD

New Laptop - empty m.2 socket - doesn'r recognise SSD: Okay, Don't know if anyone can help with this... Wife has new laptop with a small-ish (256GB) SSD drive. The Motherboard has a spare m.2 socket (or is it mSATA or PCIe??) I have purchased a SATA III M.2 drive which fits the spare socket (Transcend 420S). The PCs BIOS...
  6. optimize drive / optane memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize drive / optane memory: 16 gig m2 ssd optane memory / 1t HD (spinner) /500gig ssd I was trying to manually optimize the drives and ran into a snag. D: drive optimize (trimmed) successfully but c drive says optimize not available. C is coupled with the optane in as a dynamic drive. How do I...
  7. Questions about M.2 Memory

Questions about M.2 Memory: Hi I'm investigating what M.2 memory is all about and what is involved in getting it up and running. I've already learnt a lot in just browsing various websites that explain what it is. At present though, my husband seems to be having problems running Trainz on his PC and...
  8. Intel Optane memory question

Intel Optane memory question: I just got a new laptop, hp spectre, upgraded to the intel optane memory 32 gb. I want to check that the upgrade is there, however, when I go search through system information, I find that intel optane was added, but it doesn't say how much memory. I am absolutely NOT tech...
  9. Optane Memory and System Imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Optane Memory and System Imaging: I read that Optane memory combined with a regular hard drive can provide SSD-like performance and large storage capacity. This would be a great thing to have in a new desktop computer, assuming there are not a lot of tradeoffs. One thing I was wondering about was system...
  10. Intel Optane Memory

Intel Optane Memory: I'm waiting for an Intel Optane Memory Module to arrive. In the meantime I'm following up 3 Installation Media Preperation (Recommended Optional Step) in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf...