Windows 10: M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question.

Discus and support M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I am planning to buy a M.2 SSD for my PC, but before i do i just wanna be sure with the compatibility. My MOBO is a ASUS TUF B360-pro gaming.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MPN89, May 10, 2020.

1. MPN89 Win User

M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question.

Hello.

I am planning to buy a M.2 SSD for my PC, but before i do i just wanna be sure with the compatibility.

My MOBO is a ASUS TUF B360-pro gaming.

At this moment i have a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HDD installed. So none of the M.2 slots are in use.
    When i had a look in MOBO manual it says "When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2_1 socket, SATA_2 port cannot be used."

Does that mean that my 2.5" ssd and/or 3.5" hdd will no longer work?
    And does NVMe or not make a difference with the compatibility?
    And does it matter if i install it on the top or bottom M.2 connector?

:)

MPN89, May 10, 2020

2. looking for help with M.2 SSD compatability question, please

yeah, i went on theyre site and schecked the list, but then when i went looking for one to buy i noticed that they are listed in ways that Arent listed in that "support" page.

namely This....

M.2-2242
    M.2-2260
    M.2-2280

etc... listed as the SSD's "FORM" that is where my ignorance on the matter becomes a problem.i just rather ask once or twice, than order the wrong item, im sure you can understand that

jboydgolfer, May 10, 2020
  3. CountMike Win User
    M.2 ssd's

No, it doesn't, all 10 SATA are available.

CountMike, May 10, 2020
  4. M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question.

looking for help with M.2 SSD compatability question, please

Yea, they will have a list of support that you may need to contact them about. However, that M.2 seems to support the normal sizes of M.2 so I would not fret much if that's a concern. However, the speed is going to just be just 10gb/s speeds so keep that in mind when purchasing as some of the advertised speeds are on the 32gb/s connections.

Looking at the support page, it seems to only have a few listed mostly on the Samsung, Kingston, Sandisk front. Try one of these:

Samsung SM951 512gb
    Kingston 480gb

Your going to have to call them for more of a supported list since besides a few different sizes/variations of those (And the Plexors that are ridiculously priced) there is not much listed.

As for if you should. If you want more speed, you will get it just not as much as some list since most show for like the newer 32gb connection. I personally plan on grabbing one in the near future.

GhostRyder, May 10, 2020
Thema:

M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question.

1. M.2 SSD compatibility with MOBO question. - Similar Threads - SSD compatibility MOBO

2. SATA SSD and M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD and M.2 SSD: i was with a ssd sata and now i have ssd m.2, i formatted and put windows 11 in m.2, but i did not remove the ssd sata, i can only boot windows with the ssd sata connected, if i remove it windows does not boot to m.2 obs: windows was installed on m.2 but the ssd sata was...
  3. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  4. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Support
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  5. m.2 ssd question

m.2 ssd question: My Asus Z 97-A motherboard socket says m.2(socket3) and my motherboard has the latest bios update. I was thinking about getting one of these if it will work? thanks! *Smile https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...4NJ2J?dchild=1 169774
  6. ?M.2 or ssd

?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  7. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  8. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  9. m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    m.2 ssd: Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive? 68728
  10. M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...