Windows 10: M.2 SSD in external bay

Discus and support M.2 SSD in external bay in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with 5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by churin, Jun 28, 2021.

1. churin Win User

M.2 SSD in external bay

I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with 5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. The two M.2s are recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed of the M.2 is 2.5MB/sec . W10 installed on one of the M.2 SSDs does not boot. I have been using U.2 SSDs placed on an external bay as shown below so that I wanted to do the same with M.2 SSD. Is there anyone doing the same successfully?

:)

churin, Jun 28, 2021
  2. bobkn Win User

Issue with upgrading to m.2 NVME, Help?

I've done what "ignatzsonic" has done, multiple times.

Image the existing SSD to another drive, which could be the internal HD or an external one. Use the imaging software to create a bootable USB rescue drive. Swap SSDs. Boot from the USB rescue drive, and restore the image to the new SSD. Use Disk Management to resize the main partition if the new SSD is larger than the old, and the imaging software didn't already do that.

Is the laptop in question the ASUS FX553VD? A little Web search suggests that it supports NVME M.2 SSDs, but I wish that I was certain. It worries me slightly that Crucial doesn't list any M.2 NVME SSD upgrades for it.

bobkn, Jun 28, 2021
  3. Bramble98 Win User
    DELL XPS 8930 Upgrade SSD M.2 and Add SATA SSD

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help please. I have a Dell XPS 8930. It’s about 18 months old. I’m very happy with the PC, especially now the fan noise is under better control. My Dell came with a Toshiba SSD NVMe M.2 256 GB and a HDD. Win 10 Pro (v1909) sits on the Toshiba M.2 SSD and my data files are on the HDD. The M.2 SSD is getting a little low on free space so I’ve bought a higher capacity (500 GB) Samsung M.2 SSD. Having suffered disc failure in the past I also have a Samsung SATA SSD which will fit in one of the spare drive bays. I will clone (not mirror) the M2. SSD to the SATA SSD weekly for extra protection.

My intention is to:

1) Fit the SATA SSD in one of the spare drive bays; 2) Restore an image of the existing Toshiba M.2 SSD to the new SATA SSD;
    3) Remove the Toshiba M.2 SSD;
    4) Reboot from the new SATA SSD (Q – does this require any change to settings?); 5) Fit the Samsung M.2 SSD and clone from SATA SSD.
    6) Reboot, enter BIOS and change boot order to Samsung M.2 SSD. This all seems a bit too straightforward and I’m sure there are other things I need to do to make sure everything works o.k. and in particular the PC boots correctly at stages 4 and 6. For example, the SATA option in my BIOS is set to RAID, and I did read that I might have to change that to AHCI but at what stage.

I use Macrium Reflect Home Edition for image files and cloning, and have created a rescue disc.
    Any thoughts\suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

Bramble98, Jun 28, 2021
  4. M.2 SSD in external bay

How to check M.2 SSD Health ?

Hi friends,

I have a problem while checking my SSD Health. The application like SSD-Life can't recognize my M.2 SSD. My Notebook is HP Spectre 13.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

M.2 SSD in external bay e868cfa5-70cc-40a6-b769-c76b6e56f322.png

VincentAlim, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

M.2 SSD in external bay

1. M.2 SSD in external bay - Similar Threads - SSD external bay

2. SATA SSD and M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD and M.2 SSD: i was with a ssd sata and now i have ssd m.2, i formatted and put windows 11 in m.2, but i did not remove the ssd sata, i can only boot windows with the ssd sata connected, if i remove it windows does not boot to m.2 obs: windows was installed on m.2 but the ssd sata was...
  3. SATA SSD and M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD and M.2 SSD: i was with a ssd sata and now i have ssd m.2, i formatted and put windows 11 in m.2, but i did not remove the ssd sata, i can only boot windows with the ssd sata connected, if i remove it windows does not boot to m.2 obs: windows was installed on m.2 but the ssd sata was...
  4. M.2 ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd upgrade: Hi, Im new to the world of ssd and pc upgrades today im going to install an m.2 nvme ssd to my laptop and keep my old hard drive so my question is if i unplug the hard drive put in the m.2 nvme ssd install windows on it and then plug the hard drive again do i lose any data of...
  5. M.2 SSD in external bay

in Windows 10 Support
    M.2 SSD in external bay: I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with RX5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. Only one of the two M.2s is recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed is 2.5MB/sec . I have been using U.2 SSDs...
  6. ?M.2 or ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  7. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  8. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  9. m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    m.2 ssd: Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive? 68728
  10. M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...